Mimicking Sector Type 711 using Linedef Executors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uber Shell

In the WAD I am currently making for myself, I want a sector to close its entrance after the player enters. The problem is, I want it to activate once the player is far enough from it that I don't have to worry about being able to quickly run to the other side and getting trapped outside the sector.

Sector type 711 can accomplish this perfectly, but according to the wiki, "This method is obsolete and will be gone from SRB2 soon." I wish to do the same thing without affecting the linedef that triggers the change.

Can anyone teach me how to do so using Linedef Executors? I would very much appreciate it.

Right after the door, make a sector with action 974 and tag it to Linedef Type 98 in a remote control sector. Then, take ANOTHER linedef in that control sector, give it action 107, and tag it to the door. Give that control sector's ceiling height the same value as the floor height of the door sector. Adjust the length of Linedef Type 107 to change its speed...

Owait, why don't you just download one of the several Linedef Executor example WADs I've been making on the Wiki?

I just tried that. I tried to save it to test it, and I got the following message: "Error 5 while saving map: Invalid procedure call or argument".

The editor just started cooperating, but the linedef executor is not working. Is this just an error on my part?

http://www.nev3r.es/fastdoor.rar

Check that thing out and edit the level with some level editor (duh lol).
When you touch the sector with the tag "1", the "control sector" from the outside will be activated, triggering the next actions: "Move the sector ceiling" and "Move sector floor". Those actions are "drawn" as linedefs in the control sector. Since their tag is "2", they will affect to the sector with a "2" tag. If there are more sectors with the tag "2" (not on this case), those sectors will be also affected. EDIT: The control sector's floor/ceiling's heights define the target sector's new heights. The length of the "action" linedefs also define the scrolling speed. The longer they are, the faster the floor/ceiling moves. I hope this information is useful.

Because it's orthodox, common practice, and reduces the amount of errors caused by linedefs facing the wrong direction. It can cause errors to use double-sided linedefs in control sectors (then again, certain ones are SUPPOSED to use double-sided linedefs).

Do not drag your control sector outside the map. Create a new one outside the level; otherwise, you'll have even more errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back