midi music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never, EVER, convert any MP3 into a MIDI. Never convert any similar format into a MIDI. MP3 is streaming. MIDI is modular and synthesized. Only thing you will get out of converting to MIDI is a bunch of noise that will make your ears bleed.

Today, the only real good thing MIDI files are for, are for composition. Then, you take the MIDI and convert it to an MP3 using a soundfont. Surprise surprise! Quality increase! Because MP3 is streaming and it uses better samples during conversion, and it sounds the same on all computers.

In short, don't even try to convert to MIDI.

I found an MP3 to MIDI converter once, it sucked out loud. It converted it all into one track, and sounded really nasty.

Also, FoxBlitzz, I disagree with you there. MIDIs are also usefull for websites because of there small filesize.

All music is terrible for websites. MIDI is the worst of them all (Mystic would definitely agree with me on this). I'm tired of seeing stupid Geocities sites with MIDI jukeboxes containing video-game songs that sound nothing like the real ones.

Yes, I would recommend Module music to anyone. It sounds the same on all computers, has MP3-like quality, and it is as flexible as a MIDI.

However, if you want to convert a MIDI to an MP3, you'll also run into trouble - the same happened to me not too long ago. Simply put, you'll have to pay for it. All I managed to find was shareware programs that would, say, not let you save the file or only convert 75% of it before registering the program. The only freeware program I found converted MIDI to WAV, but somehow managed to (1) convert the entire thing into keyboard notes and (2) shift the different instrumental notes about two and a half beats from each other. The result was like someone attempting to play the Flame Rift Zone music on a keyboard and failing horribly.

Ever heard of opening up Windows Sound Recorder and recording from the Stereo Mix? Then converting it to MP3 with another program? Didn't think so.

:eek:
Nobody has a way to change it :(.
Well then... Uuuhm then i'll just look for the midi version on the net (not that i'll ever find it though :eek:)

FoxBlitzz said:
Ever heard of opening up Windows Sound Recorder and recording from the Stereo Mix? Then converting it to MP3 with another program? Didn't think so.
Actually, no. :oops: Then again, it doesn't matter anymore; I just converted the OGGs instead.

MIDIs are just fine for listening to, frankly. I wouldn't put it on a website as background music, but it's very easy to get into and you can do some impressive effects. You don't even need a large WAV depository like you would for modules, and the tempo is much more flexible than them, too.

And Antiporcupine, you could always try SynthFont; I think it saves to MP3.

FoxBlitzz said:

And what if the piece being recorded is longer than 60 seconds? ;) I use Audacity for this purpose.

Actually, ImToo's audio converters have no limit of length. Just the amount of files converted per session, so theoretically, there are no limits in the trial.

TheDarkArchon said:
FoxBlitzz said:

And what if the piece being recorded is longer than 60 seconds? ;) I use Audacity for this purpose.

Make a blank sound file. When it stops, record some more. Then some more. And some more.

Save it - if you want to do it more than once - and record a midi from the beginning, then save it as a separate file. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back