Metroid prime trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really cool. I never delved far into the games or owned them, but this sounds like the perfect opportunity to buy all three of them.

Wow, Improvements over Metriod Prime 3? (Which should've been done when it came out)

Doesn't this prove that Nintendo doesn't maximize it discs, as two other games can be stored on the disc as well?!

And yet, I already own all three of them. Besides, I prefer the Gamecube control scheme.

On a less practical note, Metroid Prime 3 feels exactly like Metroid Prime 1. Releasing all three in one package is only going to make the gameplay feel even more dated.

BlueZero4 said:
And yet, I already own all three of them. Besides, I prefer the Wii control scheme.
Customized.

I might actually buy it all again. Gamestop will probably have a trade-in superdiscount for MP3:C discs.

If "New Control Style" or whatever it is wasn't bad enough, they pull out this?

Gamecube controls >>>>>>>>>> Wiimote controls, Nintendo. If you don't allow the Gamecube controls on 1 & 2 I'm never buying a product from you again.

Did it specify whether there was the option to use Gamecube controls instead? I have to agree, the GCN controls felt a hell of a lot more natural than the Wii remote controls.

Furyhunter said:

Gamecube controls >>>>>>>>>> Wiimote controls, Nintendo. If you don't allow the Gamecube controls on 1 & 2 I'm never buying a product from you again.
Have a cry.

Furyhunter said:

Yeah, I loved not being able to aim vertically while I moved. I loved the exceptionally slow turn time. I loved how in Prime 1, you couldn't look back up if you started looking down after you jumped.

Sarcasm is a fickle thing on the internet, but it needs to be said that those are all major flaws with the Gamecube control scheme that were fixed in Metroid Prime 3, and no functionality was lost what-so-ever. There was even added functionality, like lock-free aiming, and the ability to aim the boost ball independent of your current direction of movement.
The only reasons I can think of for why someone would prefer the Gamecube controls was if the person was playing in red steel mode(beginner mode controls). That, and if you really, REALLY liked the traditional double bomb jump(and while I'm sad that they're putting in the flick up to jump as morphball thing in Prime 1 and 2, it's not THAT big of a deal).

Anyways, my major concern is the status of the exploits. In Metroid Prime 1, there were several unintended techniques, and glitches(like say, being able to go outside of the game area) that allowed for sequence breaking; that is, getting items, and going to places out of sequence, before you were supposed to. This is something that Retro studios has tried really hard to squash previously(as can be seen in the PAL and Player's Choice editions of Metroid Prime), and in their attempts to eliminate secret worlds in Prime 2. These exploits and glitches(Sans crashes, the music not playing in the final battle, and that phazon pirate artifact despawning) add massive replay value to the game, and the status of their inclusion or exclusion will make the difference in whether or not I purchase this game.

And as a final note, only 3 save files? This was something that irked me back in Metroid Prime 3, because I couldn't just put it on multiple memory cards, but when the only way to go back to your favorite boss, or key events in the game is to keep a save file there, the ability to have several in reserve is a major boon.

It's a good thing I don't own the third game, because otherwise I'd declare this a waste of money. I do have the first and second games, and while I enjoyed them (the first one waaaay more than the second), the Gamecube controls really did not age well. It'll be interesting to play them again with a proper control scheme, and at the same time get my hands on Metroid Prime 3.

But I'm obviously going to keep my 0-00 game disc of Metroid Prime 1 both for nostalgia and all the cool game-breaking tricks you can pull off.

Prime 2.0 said:
There was even added functionality, like lock-free aiming, and the ability to aim the boost ball independent of your current direction of movement.
In Prime 1, target locking meant you were always aiming at your target. In Prime 3, target locking only makes the camera center on the enemy and doesn't remove the targetting interface. This wouldn't be a problem, except you still have to aim at the center of the screen to make your shots hit. On small enemies, this is easier said than done and results in most shots outright missing the target.

Also, R-Button looking in Prime 1 allowed you to look straight up at 90 degress. In Prime 3, it's impossible to lock-free aim high enough to be able to target lock high-flying enemies. This only comes up a few times, but it's really a glaring problem.

Besides, the new free-aiming meant that Retro threw in some stupid gimmicky doors that are hard to open because it requires precise aiming. That's a new feature, yes, but it's still a drawback.

I guess this is a good time to try out the Metroid series, then. Or not, seeing as how the classics were sidescrollers and the prime trilogy are FPS's. Still, it'll get me interested and playing the series.

I got Metroid Prime 3 for my birthday last year, and quite enjoyed it despite the fact that the dialogue-heavy areas felt like a bit of a chore during replay. However, being able to have that game on the same disc with the two others that came before it (which I have been meaning to get as soon as I could be sure I wouldn't have to give up the new controls) for the same price that I paid for it originally is something that I find quite tempting even with my current financial situation. The other game needn't go to waste of course, I could always make use of Gamestop's return-your-old-game specials to get some of that money back or I could find a friend who has a Wii but for some inexplicable reason has not played it yet...

I Think this will be priced the same as most First Party Wii Titles.

Why do I Bring this up? Well, Metroid 3 is already 49.99.

And this will possibly have All 3 metroids. In That Case, Will The Stand-Alone Metroid 3 have a price Decrease?

BlueZero4 said:
Prime 2.0 said:
There was even added functionality, like lock-free aiming, and the ability to aim the boost ball independent of your current direction of movement.
In Prime 1, target locking meant you were always aiming at your target. In Prime 3, target locking only makes the camera center on the enemy and doesn't remove the targetting interface. This wouldn't be a problem, except you still have to aim at the center of the screen to make your shots hit. On small enemies, this is easier said than done and results in most shots outright missing the target.

Also, R-Button looking in Prime 1 allowed you to look straight up at 90 degress. In Prime 3, it's impossible to lock-free aim high enough to be able to target lock high-flying enemies. This only comes up a few times, but it's really a glaring problem.

Besides, the new free-aiming meant that Retro threw in some stupid gimmicky doors that are hard to open because it requires precise aiming. That's a new feature, yes, but it's still a drawback.

Lock-free aiming can be turned off, I was never able to look straight up in Metroid Prime 1(the shafts in the Phazon mines with the electric thingies are a good example of this), and aiming in the middle of the screen was never an issue for me(despite the pointer function never quite working right on my TV).

I'm not going to make a point of battling opinions any further than I already have, since this isn't Colosseum, but I just felt I needed to point out those few things.

How to aim at the center of the screen in MP3: point the Wiimote AWAY from the screen.

Aim at ceiling, game refocuses at the Prime 1 resting viewpoint, ?????, murder, profit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back