Metal Sonic Ability Design Contest (MSADC) Voting Thread

lnferno

Blazing Creator
VOTING PERIOD OVER.
The voting period is over, so I'd like to announce the (digital) trophies the abilities recieved. We had 14 votes in total.

Most Fun Ability goes to.... Dash Drive with 4 votes and 28.6%! 2nd place for this trophy was the Rocket Boost and Overdrive at 3 votes and 21.4%.

Easiest to Pick Up And Play Ability goes to... a tie between the Turbo Jump and Jump Thrust for each having 6 votes and 42.9%!

Most Broken Ability goes to... Rocket Boost and Overdrive for 4 votes and 28.6%! 2nd place for this trophy is the Turbo Jump at 3 votes and 21.4%.

Silliest Ability, by a wide margin goes to... Gear Shift with 8 votes and 57.1%!

Now, for the trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place:
  • First Place goes to... the Dash Drive with 6 votes and 42.9%!
  • Second Place goes to... a 3-way tie between the Rocket Boost and Overdrive, Turbo Jump, and Gear Shift, each with 2 votes and 14.3%!
  • Third Place goes to... a 2-way tie between the Jump Thrust and Circuit Rev, each with 1 vote and 7.1%!
Congrats to all those who won a trophy of some kind (aka, everyone).

This was fun.
With the 5 entries finally released, let the voting begin!

MSADC Voting
There will be a 5 day voting period for this segment of the contest, meaning that all votes after 4/11/21 in Central Standard Time will be considered null and invalid.

Here are the trophies being voted for:
  • Most Fun Ability: Which ability is the most fun to play?​
  • Easiest Ability to Pick Up and Play: Which ability is most intuitive?​
  • Most Broken Ability: Which ability is the most overpowered?​
  • Silliest Ability: Which ability is the most absurd?​
There is overlap allowed for each trophy.

There will also be a vote arranged for the favorite ability out of the 5. These will be arranged into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies.

Best of luck.

Here is the Google Form one shall vote in:
Voting Form
Post automatically merged:

All votes had to be nullified due to a slight data bias caused by me forgetting an entry.

The voting period has been extended to the end of April 12th, CST.

Last edited:
This one's a bit tricky, because even moreso than Sonic, there's no real consensus on what Metal Sonic SHOULD be. His vanilla kit is a bit confused, and you could choose to iterate on the hover, iterate on dashmode, or throw both away and do something completely new. Personally, I'm fond of the idea of Metal Sonic as a high-skill mirror of Sonic's moveset- a 'hard mode' Sonic of a sort, but I can't really justify why I feel that way. If Metal Sonic just got thok and nothing else when Sonic gets his inevitable moveset change in 2.3, I think I'd be satisfied.

With that in mind, all I can really judge these moves on is how fun they are, and how good they feel to use.

Turbo Jump wins a lot of points for polish. The chunky CHOOOM sound and OVA-style afterimages are exactly the kind of visceral juiciness a character ability should have. Unfortunately, the ability underneath isn't terribly interesting. The mod leaves Dash Mode in, but the ability doesn't complement Dash Mode at all. If Metal Sonic had a double jump, this is pretty much exactly what I think it should feel like. I'm just not convinced he should have a double jump.

Jump Thrust feels almost like the inverse. It actually plays very nicely with Dash Mode, giving you a source of much-needed momentum redirection. I also like how it kind of takes after thok- mirroring Sonic, but interacting with Metal Sonic's identity via Dash Mode. Unfortunately, the polish is somewhat lacking. The choice of sound effect is questionable, and I'm not sure you should have to sacrifice ALL of your momentum to jump. My instinct as a player is to dash at the apex of my jump, but you don't get to do that until a few tics AFTER, causing it to feel kind of nonresponsive. Making that more forgiving, and adding a coat of paint could go a long way towards making this work well, but the lack of polish holds it back a lot.

Circuit Rev grew on me a fair bit once I wrapped my head around the nuance. The number of revs seems to matter more for the drop dash than the jump thok. So it's better to drop dash when going downhill, and jump thok when going uphill. I like it when abilities make me think about the levels in a new way like that. I'll always award points for good use of special effects and sounds too. The sparks on the revs don't just feel good, they feel like Metal Sonic. But we need to talk about that input. You're simply asking for too many weird finger movements for the kinds of split-second thinking that goes into a game like this. My first instinct would be to simply mash spin in the air to rev, and press jump to trigger the jump thok.- always dropdashing if you hit the ground after revving otherwise.

Rocket Boost and Overdrive would be my pick in second place for favorite if that was a thing on the google doc. Rocket Boost feels like a Metal Sonic flavored thok, which I'm quite fond of. And yes, the particles and sfx choice make it feel good to use. Overdrive is a very interesting iteration on Dash Mode. I do wish the penalty for failure lasted a little less time, or even was replaced with something as direct as taking a hit- to get it over with faster. I get that being stuck in a helpless state is meant to be a punishment, it's just not a super fun one. There's probably not a lot I can say about this that hasn't already been said in the Reveries thread, but I do like it quite a bit.

Dash Drive is probably the most straightforward approach to improving Metal Sonic, and I kind of appreciate it for that. Dash Mode really wants to pair with a form of momentum redirection, so just give him momentum redirection! The little Dash Mode tweaks are nice- I didn't actually notice most of them- but honestly just putting Dash Drive on jump and ditching hover entirely would probably be enough to make Metal Sonic feel a lot more coherent. As it is, this is still my favorite ability here, if only for its elegance. My one complaint is that it absolutely NEEDS something more on the moment you release Dash Drive. A sound effect at the very least, if not an explosive burst of particles, an extra speed boost, just SOMETHING. As it is, the dramatic buildup followed by just kinda... going, feels super dinky.

Sports Model Metal Sonic is the result of me trying to get my simracing obsessed boyfriend into SRB2. He kept complaining that Metal Sonic was stuck in automatic transmission- he called it "Peasant Mode." Letting you change gears manually lets you go much faster of course.

Last I heard, he was planning on using this Metal Sonic to lap the Nordschleife.

Last edited:
you know what, i liked every single entry here for one reason or another. that's not something i can say about a lot of abilities i come across, whether because of jank, poor design choices, or just feeling really off, but no, i enjoyed my time with every single ability. great work everybody!

now onto my specific thoughts on everybody's entries. i didn't have any specific expectations since metal sonic doesn't really have a standard for what can be his ability, but i still expected a little bit of creativity. that i did get!

Gear Shift: this is by far the most unique ability concept for metal sonic i've ever seen, most abilities go for floating, or for moves that help platforming, but no. metal is literally a robot, and you took advantage of that concept in such an absurdly unique way that i have to commend it. the ability itself though is kind of a mixed bag for me. on one hand, yeah, absolutely a fun ability. changing gears and working your way up to eighth and preserving maximum speed is extremely satisfying...when you're able to do it. the move really requires big open spaces to get anywhere close to eighth gear, and i often find myself just sticking to fifth because it's the bare minimum dashmode gear. regardless though, this gets massive points for originality, and even more for just being fun.

Jump Thrust: i'd already taken a look at this when it was initially released separately on the message board, and despite not enjoying it initially, it's kinda grown on me a little bit. don't get me wrong, it still has a lot of flaws. cancelling all of your momentum just to get a tiny portion of it back in dashmode is extremely jarring and a bizarre design choice in my opinion, and the timing for letting you thrust is too late to feel great. however, it does get points for being a pretty good conceptual addition to metal sonic's moveset. he has been in dire need of a redirectional move, so why not give him one that gives you the leeway to properly adjust both your height and find the perfect angle to dash? the flaws it has are just barely keeping it from being something i'd love to come back to, but it's not a bad move.

Turbo Jump: this move is painfully simple and barebones. just jump and thrust forward, simple. that being said i really like this move. a double jump isn't really the greatest move choice for metal in my opinion cough im a hypocrite cough but this one honestly really works. i will say though that the move doesn't compliment dashmode at all, not one bit. i'd recommend even something as small as dashmode being preserved in the turbo jump if you were ever to update the move, since it is kind of saddening to see metal lose dashmode while i adjust myself mid jump. i don't have much else to say about it other than the fact that it's genuinely a fun move, it's polished as hell and it has those outline ghost effects from the metal boss fight/sonic ova!

Rocket Boost and Overdrive: this mod gets a 0/10 because it's just the move from reveries but without reveries attached absolutely broken unplayable those are my thoughts
...i'm joking, of course. from what i've played of reveries, i've enjoyed it and everything it had to offer (probably more than most people), and this move is no different. metal having a small rebound move that also works as a redirectional ability is a really neat concept that i'd love to see expanded upon a little more someday, but this is still a solid, fun move to play around with. overdrive on the other hand...not my personal favourite thing in the world. it's definitely a fun ability if you get the chance to run around with it, but when you're forced to be good at the game (spoilers: i'm not really that person), it does become a bit of an unforgiving slog. don't get me wrong, i enjoy it and it does give enough leeway to be fun even if you're forced to slow down a bit, but it's far too punishing for my tastes.

Dash Drive: i'm glad this one barely got through, it'd be a shame if it didn't. but hey! it's here now, and all the better for it. dash drive peaked my interest a bit because it didn't really...replace any ability, per se. it's more of a dashmode enhancement than an entirely new ability, but dash drive is a good addition when it comes down to it. having a momentum redirector for metal is always a win in my opinion, but having it mapped to spin hurts it more than helps it, since i'm always instinctively paying attention to the jump ability. i did manage to use it in a few useful situations, and you know what? i enjoyed it. not much more i can say about it other than what i and others have already said.

Circuit Rev: LMAOOOOOOO what fucking loser made this-
oh that's my one okay then. while i'm here, i may as well toss some technical advice for anyone who plans on playing with the circuit rev.

- the jumpthok always has a constant speed. whether you only charge once, or seventeen times, it's always the same speed. it was created as both a platforming tool, but also a breakout move if you haven't charged a powerful enough drop dash.
- there's still reason to use the drop dash instead of the jumpthok though. charging the drop dash to its maximum power will let you go far faster than a jumpthok.
- drop dashing preserves dashmode. if you've launched forward on the ground, you'll stay in dashmode no matter your speed, as long as you stay curled up.
- if you manage to get all seven chaos emeralds (or just use devmode like i did :)))))) ), the circuit rev is powered up by a significant margin, allowing for far greater speeds and more powerful jumpthoks.

happy metal sonic-ing everybody!

but without reveries attached
reveries actually is kind of attached; i had to include a work in progress version of the v2 physics standalone because the overdrive mode doesn't function properly without it

there's been a lot of tweaks but the most important for metal is the gravity changes

just don't play as tails with that loaded because flight is broken for some reason and i haven't looked into it yet

To be honest I think the rocket booster could really compliment vanilla dashode, not really a big fan of the overdrive, or at least the punishing aspect of it because of how severe it is.

Nice to see some discussion! I'm personally a fan of the Rocket Boost (not sure about Overdrive however) and somewhat the Dash Drive, however, I will not be voting in the form for reasons of preventing a bias, I suppose.

I remember a discussion from a while ago about people's different approaches to fixing Metal Sonic, and I can definitely say after messing with these entries that it's nice to see them in action. To echo an earlier statement, all these abilities were very fun in their own right, even when their functionalities were almost entirely different. Review time:

The very first thing I did when I loaded up Gear Shift was put Metal in reverse and laugh for a solid 30 seconds about it., so it easily got my vote for Silliest Ability. That aside, though, it's actually quite neat! Metal Sonic having to work his way up to top gear seems pretty true to his depictions in some Sonic games, and is also an immensely rewarding feeling - however, it lacks many places where you're truly able to do it, and it is pretty punishing if you mess up. I didn't try it in circuit, but I feel like it'd be a fun way to handle race maps and the ever-prevalent Dash Mode problem in them. Also: going into neutral from a high speed has its perks.

Circuit Rev was a very fun ability! It does a very good job at increasing and maintaining Metal's speed. The boost to the ability in Super state is an added cherry on top! (It also feels like Sonic 4 to me for some reason, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing - Metal feeling like the medium between Modern and Classic is not only chronologically accurate, it just feels right.) There were a few complaints about this ability, though. One of them was that I ended up accidentally cancelling into Jump Thok more than I'd like to admit - blame that on a little bit of inexperience, I guess. The availability of the option as a cancel when you haven't built up enough speed is great - and certainly useful if you change your mind at the last minute - but is also upsetting when you have built up enough speed. (Then again, I could do much better by just not letting go of spin on accident.) Another was the fact that, at times, it seemed possibly harder to maintain Dash Mode, as the kit is so speed oriented. Overall, I believe it rewards proper management with a more consistent Dash Mode that is. due to the removal of hover, not too overpowered and still allows you to experience platforming.

Jump Thrust was... interesting. While it wasn't necessarily a bad ability, it seemed to be missing something - something that made it flow better with the character, something more rewarding. It does allow for momentum redirection, but at the cost of all the momentum you built up beforehand. I could imagine this ability being super fun if it increased height based on speed, kinda like Jump Boost, and/or activated quicker based on how fast you were going, making Metal feel much more agile. This would also make the initial jump portion more worth it - I would actually have a desire to use the ability while already in dashmode for a reason other than repositioning. Sonic's Thok grants the speed to cover gaps or just immediately accelerate at any time; Tails' flight allows you to skip platforming and maintain speed, but also allows you to get to higher areas from a standstill; the list goes on. This ability seems to only serve that one purpose, and as such doesn't feel as good.

Turbo Jump was super fun to mess around with! The ability to redirect yourself and gain exceptional height is a simple, yet very useful and enjoyable ability. I wouldn't say it has many flaws aside from the constant height possibly hampering horizontal momentum around ceilings - and that isn't even a major issue - but it is kind of limited in application.

Rocket Boost and Overdrive is something I've had a lot of experimentation with over my time playing Reveries. Overdrive is an amazing example of how you can handle Metal Sonic's Dash Mode as high-risk, high-reward. It grants increased speed with hardly any catches except your own management - fail to handle it correctly, though, and pay the price. It's fun, but as SilverVortex said, has a greater learning curve. Rocket Boost's simplicity gets that gamefeel through being a simple ability with multiple applications. It's still a hover with no descent, but now with a timer and a wallbounce if you hit a wall. You can use it during Overdrive for maintenance, you can use it to cross gaps - it has it all. While it certainly feels like Metal, it also feels a tad too gimmicky when compared with the abilities of the vanilla cast. It definitely feels right at home in Reveries, however.

Finally, Dash Drive. Ironically, before the MSADC, I was trying my hand at Lua to see if I could solve the re-directional issue with Metal Sonic's Dash Mode. This ability is, in execution, quite similar to my ultimately unexecuted concept, and boy does it feel good! The rebalancing, but not strict limiting or utter removal of hover, as well as the attention to detail (bouncing off electric walls, increased damage during Dash Mode) are also reasons I appreciate this ability so much. A complaint I have, though, is that it seems that, through nerfing hover but giving Metal a free management tool, he loses almost nothing. Dash Drive can be held seemingly indefinitely at no cost to the player and can be performed in the air, which under certain circumstances may just help the nerfed hover out distance-wise. Metal also still has a spin ability, which causes more problems because he can instantly achieve Dash Mode and having to press spin twice for a grounded Dash Drive feels wonky.

To wrap things up. I would like to congratulate all of the participants once again for making abilities that are all enjoyable, yet vastly different to each other. And, you know, for coding the things - that's something I wish I had an easier time picking up.

The voting period is over, so I'd like to announce the (digital) trophies the abilities recieved. We had 14 votes in total.

Most Fun Ability goes to.... Dash Drive with 4 votes and 28.6%! 2nd place for this trophy was the Rocket Boost and Overdrive at 3 votes and 21.4%.

Easiest to Pick Up And Play Ability goes to... a tie between the Turbo Jump and Jump Thrust for each having 6 votes and 42.9%!

Most Broken Ability goes to... Rocket Boost and Overdrive for 4 votes and 28.6%! 2nd place for this trophy is the Turbo Jump at 3 votes and 21.4%.

Silliest Ability, by a wide margin goes to... Gear Shift with 8 votes and 57.1%!

Now, for the trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place:
  • First Place goes to... the Dash Drive with 6 votes and 42.9%!
  • Second Place goes to... a 3-way tie between the Rocket Boost and Overdrive, Turbo Jump, and Gear Shift, each with 2 votes and 14.3%!
  • Third Place goes to... a 2-way tie between the Jump Thrust and Circuit Rev, each with 1 vote and 7.1%!
Congrats to all those who won a trophy of some kind (aka, everyone).

This was fun.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back