Making an Srb2 2.0 Port

Mr Kixx Reborn

Let's give it all we got!
Hello, I want to start making an SRB2 2.0 port with all the secrets, special stages, and all the multiplayer stages but the problem is I don't know how to port, if anyone can give me tips on how or give me a website on how to port things like this it would be really helpful.

Theres already an unofficial port but good someone wanna make an official one
All i can say is that i tried porting stuff by myself and it ended up like a color mishmash would have loved to help you ngl

Well yes I am gonna make an official one, I just need some instructions on how to do a port first so I can do one and get started.

Well yes I am gonna make an official one, I just need some instructions on how to do a port first so I can do one and get started.
I actually uh... have been working on a 2.0 port. I just don't have access to zone builder cause drivers that i need cant be installed. If you'd like I can maybe send you a download to it, credits are included, but I haven't included the SRB1 Remake or the MP levels due to them being broken and there being so many of them I think i'd just include the MP ones seperate or re-include the MP ones at a later time.

Some levels are uncompleteable as certain or all characters, due to there being broken stuff, I basically imported the zones.dta and then started patching or adding stuff. Currently the intro cutscene doesn't work, I dunno how i'd fix it but I planned on maybe just replacing certain sprites with transparent sprites to make them not appear, and possible resizing cutscenes so they display properly
[EDIT: It works but some stuff is inaccurate, such as tails and knuckles appearing in the intro at the running scene, also having more peelout sprites.]
Post automatically merged:

Theres already an unofficial port but good someone wanna make an official one
All i can say is that i tried porting stuff by myself and it ended up like a color mishmash would have loved to help you ngl
Color Mishmash? Convert the palette to SRB2 2.2's palette in Slade.

*please tell me what is the unofficial port, it probably would have fixed issues that i could fix easily if i had zone builder*

Also, I was planning on replacing the graphics of badniks and stuff with that from 2.0, but that's alot of work so I just decided "make it playable first, and then do that part" possibly.

Last edited:
First, you'll need to fix up a few level errors. 2.2 changed how Mace Swings and Rope Hangs work, so you may need to fix those up. Second, the Eggscalibur was also reworked, and now doesn't automatically open the cage. I've been working on a fix in my personal 2.1 recreation, and if I ever do get around to finishing it, I'll message you the code.

You'll also need to remove the version header in the MAINCFG. It's fairly simple if you're familiar with a basic text editor, so I shouldn't need to explain how.

Afterwards, you should fix up any errors in the conversion. If it means taking two hours to convert every single graphics' and sprites' palettes (like I did), then so be it.

On top of that, the skins won't function properly. You have two options (three if you are alright with renaming a ton of graphics):
  1. Include the Legacy Trio mod. Don't worry, it's reusable.
  2. Replace the vanilla cast's graphics. This is not recommended, as the new sprites will still show (for example, the rolling/jumping frames)
  3. (only if you're determined) Create new skins with the 2.0 graphics.

Soon
First, you'll need to fix up a few level errors. 2.2 changed how Mace Swings and Rope Hangs work, so you may need to fix those up. Second, the Eggscalibur was also reworked, and now doesn't automatically open the cage. I've been working on a fix in my personal 2.1 recreation, and if I ever do get around to finishing it, I'll message you the code.

You'll also need to remove the version header in the MAINCFG. It's fairly simple if you're familiar with a basic text editor, so I shouldn't need to explain how.

Afterwards, you should fix up any errors in the conversion. If it means taking two hours to convert every single graphics' and sprites' palettes (like I did), then so be it.

On top of that, the skins won't function properly. You have two options (three if you are alright with renaming a ton of graphics):
  1. Include the Legacy Trio mod. Don't worry, it's reusable.
  2. Replace the vanilla cast's graphics. This is not recommended, as the new sprites will still show (for example, the rolling/jumping frames)
  3. (only if you're determined) Create new skins with the 2.0 graphics.
EGGSCALIBUR is not in 2.0.
Swings are broken, can confirm. For some reason the maces are now swings.
There is a part of the level where the game just up and crashes in CEZ2.
Knuckles got a small height increase so he can jump the Deep Sea Zone Water Slide... but it allows him to go into sonic/tails section in the left path of ERZ1. Don't worry, it is accurate, he did jump slightly higher in 2.0 then he did in 2.1 and 2.2.
Antigrav flags are now... invincibility?
Arid Canyon rope thing is broken.
Some special stages still have some rings, even though i replaced the thingtypes with blue spheres (since you have to collect blue spheres in 2.2 to be able to get the chaos emeralds)
Spring Hill I tried swapping the rings with the blue sphere thing types... but there are still some innacuracies.

(albeit slightly edited) Legacy Chars are included, they do not replace the 2.2 cast, but rather the 2.2 cast is hidden, so you cannot select them through normal means.
Retro Bosses & Maces is included (only the 2.0 stuff)
My time and effort is included.
2.0 music is included, (netplay compatible actually, like you can load this during a netgame, it doesnt mark the game as modified).

Old Title screen is there, and it includes some SOC / MAINCFG stuff.
I possibly thought of adding a SOC that just makes the 2.2 levels hidden so that you cant play them even through mapchange, and they wont show up in level select. I might do that.

*please tell me what is the unofficial port, it probably would have fixed issues that i could fix easily if i had zone builder*
It's basically only zones and special stages, no secrets or extras

I actually uh... have been working on a 2.0 port. I just don't have access to zone builder cause drivers that i need cant be installed. If you'd like I can maybe send you a download to it
That could be helpful

I actually uh... have been working on a 2.0 port. I just don't have access to zone builder cause drivers that i need cant be installed. If you'd like I can maybe send you a download to it, credits are included, but I haven't included the SRB1 Remake or the MP levels due to them being broken and there being so many of them I think i'd just include the MP ones seperate or re-include the MP ones at a later time.

Some levels are uncompleteable as certain or all characters, due to there being broken stuff, I basically imported the zones.dta and then started patching or adding stuff. Currently the intro cutscene doesn't work, I dunno how i'd fix it but I planned on maybe just replacing certain sprites with transparent sprites to make them not appear, and possible resizing cutscenes so they display properly
[EDIT: It works but some stuff is inaccurate, such as tails and knuckles appearing in the intro at the running scene, also having more peelout sprites.]

Color Mishmash? Convert the palette to SRB2 2.2's palette in Slade.

Also, I was planning on replacing the graphics of badniks and stuff with that from 2.0, but that's alot of work so I just decided "make it playable first, and then do that part" possibly.
Hey uhh the official port was on giverish4 server once it didnt had intro n all not any extra was just levels and extremely glitchy
I lost it

I might try to find and see if I can manage to find an SRB2 2.0 folder, I could see all the things inside so this can be much easier for me

I might try to find and see if I can manage to find an SRB2 2.0 folder, I could see all the things inside so this can be much easier for me
what do you mean? You can download 2.0 here https://www.srb2.org/download/historic-downloads/

CEZ2 has this part (in attachments) where uh... if you go under that wall, the game crashes, the place with the water rising works fine, and the level is beatable as long as you go through the top path, or you noclip into the wall area, doding the underneath of the wall

OR if you have NOCLIP enabled while going under said wall... it doesn't crash

Attachments

• srb20366.png
    srb20366.png
    602.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
The Srb2 folder
?????????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

WHEN YOU DOWNLOAD 2.0 YOU GET AN INSTALLER WHICH INSTALLS THE FOLDER WHICH CONTAINS THE FILES WHICH YOU CAN OPEN IN SLADE AND WILL GIVE YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED
WHAT

WHAT DOES THE 2.0 DOWNLOAD *NOT* GIVE YOU

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT GIVES YOU THE GAME??? YOU NEED THE FOLDER TO PLAY IT DON'T YOU?

Last edited:
Alright characters done, now onto the Zones
srb20078.png

Attachments

• srb20079.png
    srb20079.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 90
  • srb20080.png
    srb20080.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 85
  • srb20081.png
    srb20081.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 84

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back