• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have our own little bubble where we share stuff and work together on things. It's the same reason why Larztard has this.

Jasper rarely gets distributed anymore though, since other things have been keeping others preoccupied. Besides, I should actually be working on the wad itself and not just playing it! ^^'

and knowing is half the battle

Being specific on bugs I'm trying to iron out (with the assistance of HellHawkX), stars clip through players which is mostly my fault for not giving them the proper MF_SPECIAL flag and manipulating projectiles correctly, which leads to stars easily murdering super characters since they persist on collision. The Spark Burst also suffers a similar super destroying fate which revolves around using P_NukeEnemies to create the explosion (P_RadiusAttack cannot harm mobjs that are the same type as the creator) and it causing massive ring damage for whatever reason.

Currently, we might try to make the Spark Burst unable to harm super players, since it's near likely you actually want to be near one in the first place. Stars should be an easy enough fix though.

So, I was trying to nerf Jasper's stars, since they have this problem that allows them to do a lot of damage to super players (around 60 rings). However, I made a small error in the code, so instead of nerfing the stars, I got this instead

ImpartialHiddenCapeghostfrog.gif

JASPER IS 2PRO4YOU

I think that Super players are already VERY OP. So you should keep the 60 rings damage to balance things out, since it looks a bit hard to time correctly to hit a fastly moving player.

Anyways, is the spriting done? I think you are looking for bugs to make sure it's a good-to-go release, right? RIGHT?!

Now seriously. Jasper is becoming my favourite 2.1 Character to play as! He looks really fun to use. Also, his LUA abilities are really cool. Keep it up, Jasper/HellHawkX... Whoever is working with you too... uh... yeah.

Wow, Jasper is doing really good so far, I've never seen so much effort put in a fan character... then again, nor has the entire srb2 community...

Besides that, I truly can't wait for out noseless pink fox to finally hit the spotlight....
*starts calling Jeck Jims to start on the model for Jasper now*

With all that being said... I wonder how our Purple cake-eating fire cat is doing....

Wow, Jasper is doing really good so far, I've never seen so much effort put in a fan character... then again, nor has the entire srb2 community...

Besides that, I truly can't wait for out noseless pink fox to finally hit the spotlight....

With all that being said... I wonder how our Purple cake-eating fire cat is doing....

Dude someones already done a model :P

jk. I have the model pretty much done, just needs some fixes and some more covering up to do, like making the fur things on his muzzle a bit bigger, and fixing up that tuff on his head, or whatever its called. But I need to see the actual wad itself before I can start making any frames for the model.

Last edited:

jk. I have the model pretty much done, just needs some fixes and some more covering up to do, but I also need to see the actual wad itself before I can start making any frames for the model.

I would use the 2.0 version of Jasper and once Jasper releases the 2.1 version, you can finish off the model with the Shooting Stars frames and the actual star itself. By the way, did you fix the bad acne that Jasper had. :X

I would use the 2.0 version of Jasper and once Jasper releases the 2.1 version, you can finish off the model with the Shooting Stars frames and the actual star itself. By the way, did you fix the bad acne that Jasper had. :X

Well, yeah, but I would like to only work with the 2.1 version of the wad, just cuz'.

And about the acne...

Fixed the muzzle a bit so that it doesn't look like he has bad acne. Also, I brightened up his colors, because bright models look much more beautiful.

XQyCt4p.gif

Don't mind the score exploding into 5800, still trying to figure out that one.
Trying to work on animating super spin correctly. All those wonderful spin sprites are completely separate from regular spinning sprites just to make Jasper's fur change color instead of his clothes. Not found in the gif above, but charging a spindash or spinning on the ground causes the animation to either jump between specific frames or just speed up altogether. It makes it look like he's spinning at high speed.

jcsfNvi.gif
Also, any suggestions for when a blue team Jasper goes super? Currently he remains red which will surely throw off a lot of people.

XQyCt4p.gif

Don't mind the score exploding into 5800, still trying to figure out that one.
...Okay, I'm working on a character whose super colours should be pink-flashing instead of yellow. If I could get them to be pink instead of yellow, that might just open up a possibility for me for a level thing later, too. Mind sharing some Lua advice on what you did? ^^;
Although I couldn't use super colors already implemented, I just made Jasper cycle through different skin colors that are already built in. A variable constantly increases and around every two increases the color will change to a different color until it reaches the end and repeats itself. Of course there's also stuff that prevent those colors being put onto other characters when you switch, but those are just simple checks.

Jasper uses a combo of white, tan, pink, red, maybe beige?
And about the score thing, I think it's because of enemy chaining, due to the blast being too big and killing enemies in a larger radius than you intended, giving large amounts of points, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Also, if it's possible to check for team in Lua coding, possibly you could duplicate the super frames, and use Slade3's colour remap thing to recolour the red into blue. I don't know how it'd work, but I guess it might work... Might being the keyword here.

Last edited:
Blue super saiyan aura >:D

I definitly support this. You should make something like that: at the very least a color aura corresponding to the color Jasper was before going Super.

Or, my suggestion, is that he flashes the color that he was before going super. Choose any you want, but TheDoctor's idea is a bit cooler than mine >_>

And about the score thing, I think it's because of enemy chaining, due to the blast being too big and killing enemies in a larger radius than you intended, giving large amounts of points, but that's just a guess.

The radius is only slightly larger than a regular Spark Burst, and if that was the case the B.A.S.H on the other side of the level would've probably been busted. Notably, it even occurs in areas where there aren't enemies for miles.

a7gcYts.gif

The radius is only slightly larger than a regular Spark Burst, and if that was the case the B.A.S.H on the other side of the level would've probably been busted. Notably, it even occurs in areas where there aren't enemies for miles.
In that case, I dare you to go to Great Flabby Zoo 1 (GFZ1 (Green Flower Zone act 1)), go down over the bridge and down to the turn thing, turn around to face towards the first checkpoint and the Crawlas around it, and do the burst thing. Did the far-away Crawlas pop? If not, and you really can't figure it out, I can lend you a small blast script I used for a scrapped character, which doesn't grant 5800 points.

Edit: I may also have the silliest dumbest possible suggestion about super colours. Would it at all be possible to remove the red clothing stuff from the super frames (invisibly, not the other way...), and then have the clothing by itself as a, well, actual Thing, which you make always have the same X, Y, Z, angles, and so forth as the player, but checking for the player's state, and then assigning its' own state based on that, to the cloth-only sprites, and then set its' own mobj colour to the player's player colour? (After all, the player colour variable is stored even when Super, as a fallback for when no longer super and such.) I suppose it might be possible, but honestly, I don't have the slightest clue. I'd suggest keeping a backup if you mess up or it doesn't work or something.

Last edited:
Welp, I solved my problem of not noticing a super Jasper with a little help from...

BelovedSingleChital.gif

Sparkles are obviously the best thing in the universe. No one will mistake Jasper for a non-super player now, and as long as the sparkles keep sparkling you should be on your toes.
I still want to do a few more cosmetic things with Jasper's super (like fixing that really fast spinning animaton) as well as finish off a couple of sprites I've put off. From there, all that's left is a bit of testing to make sure everything does work as intended with multiple players.

soon

Welp, I solved my problem of not noticing a super Jasper with a little help from...

BelovedSingleChital.gif

Sparkles are obviously the best thing in the universe. No one will mistake Jasper for a non-super player now, and as long as the sparkles keep sparkling you should be on your toes.
I still want to do a few more cosmetic things with Jasper's super (like fixing that really fast spinning animaton) as well as finish off a couple of sprites I've put off. From there, all that's left is a bit of testing to make sure everything does work as intended with multiple players.

soon
WANT IT NOW >_< (too much hype)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back