Is Srb2 compatable with Windows Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, new version of Windows? I don't know that. :o

it only been out for a few months :roll:

How about DOOM, the game this was originally modded from? (with or withou dosbox.)

If anything, the most you should need to do is run it in Administrator Mode.

akirahedgehog said:
I've been playing SRB2 on my friends Vista laptop and the only thing that has issues is OpenGL mode.

Then the graphics card fails...

Here's my setup:
Vista Ultimate with full Aero enabled.
Geforce FX 5500 with Vista drivers...
Resolution of 1280x1024
100% quality over performance in the nVidia Control Panel (including full Anti-Aliasing and Anistropic)
Resolution set to 1280x1024 in SRB2

Result from SRB2:
Software: Fine.
OpenGL: Works just as well as it would on any other OS.

So, yes, SRB2 has full, read it, full Vista compatability.

glaber said:
How about DOOM, the game this was originally modded from? (with or withou dosbox.)
Dumb question. A better one is whether it CAN'T run DOOM, since pretty much everything but your toaster CAN, these days.

cueball61 said:
akirahedgehog said:
I've been playing SRB2 on my friends Vista laptop and the only thing that has issues is OpenGL mode.

Then the graphics card fails...

Here's my setup:
Vista Ultimate with full Aero enabled.
Geforce FX 5500 with Vista drivers...
Resolution of 1280x1024
100% quality over performance in the nVidia Control Panel (including full Anti-Aliasing and Anistropic)
Resolution set to 1280x1024 in SRB2

Result from SRB2:
Software: Fine.
OpenGL: Works just as well as it would on any other OS.

So, yes, SRB2 has full, read it, full Vista compatability.

You had to do all that to get it to work on Vista... I just copy and Pasted Srb2 from XP to Vista. I didn't even bother to re-install it straight away, I just played it...

Shame I never figured out why I can't play netgames...

The setup was to show you that I can run SRB2 at full spec in Vista, nothing more.

The Yellow Blue Dude said:
You had to do all that to get it to work on Vista... I just copy and Pasted Srb2 from XP to Vista. I didn't even bother to re-install it straight away, I just played it...

The 'installer' doesn't install anything, it just extracts files. SRB2 can be run just as long as all the required files are available, regardless of how they got there.

And anyway, Vista does have a few problems with SRB2 OGL; AMd Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB DDR2-533, Geforce 6100:

XP ran the game at full speed with all the settings at the maximum possible (Minus Anti-Aliasing, as that butchered the performance.) in 1280x1024.

Vista ran the game at around 25-30 in the same settings.

So, yeah. There's problems with SRB2 + Vista for people using lower end graphics setups, but this is most probably due to Vista converting OGL to D3D for play.

According to a Microsoft blog, there are three choices for OpenGL implementation on Vista. An application can use the default implementation, which translates OpenGL calls into the Direct3D API and is frozen at OpenGL version 1.4

<Cueball Quote>
How can you possibly run anything on a FX 5500 with full AA and aniso? I try running SRB2 at full settings with my 6200 at 900x600 (or close to that) and get a bad framerate. This is on WinXP, BTW.

I run it at 1680x1050 with all the settings turned up (trilinear, anisotropic x16, possibly anti-aliasing but I'm not sure) and I don't see any dips in framerate at all! :D

Actually that makes level testing kinda hard, since I'm mostly immune to any adverse frame rate drops that everyone else'll be hit with...

ree-c said:
So, yeah. There's problems with SRB2 + Vista for people using lower end graphics setups, but this is most probably due to Vista converting OGL to D3D for play.

According to a Microsoft blog, there are three choices for OpenGL implementation on Vista. An application can use the default implementation, which translates OpenGL calls into the Direct3D API and is frozen at OpenGL version 1.4

Actually, no. Vista has full OpenGL support now, because enough people complained. You didn't copy the whole sentence and only listed one of the three "choices for OGL" in Vista.

The other two are:

*) A driver supplied by the manufacturer that works with the Aero system.
*) An old XP-like driver that disables Aero and only works for fullscreen apps.

So it's pretty much still like XP in the sense that as long as the video card manufacturer supplies a driver, you can have OpenGL.

It should be noted though that unlike XP and earlier Windows OSes, OpenGL no longer has the ability to bypass switching between user and kernel mode. Direct3D has never had this bypass functionality, so now OGL is slowed down to D3D speeds, sorta.

Shuffle said:
<Cueball Quote>
How can you possibly run anything on a FX 5500 with full AA and aniso? I try running SRB2 at full settings with my 6200 at 900x600 (or close to that) and get a bad framerate. This is on WinXP, BTW.

Probably not your GPU then, it sucks up RAM as well running at full...

I have 2GB DDR500, that helps a lot :]

RAM should not be a speed concern on today's machines with a game that only uses 32 - 64MB of memory.

FoxBlitzz said:
RAM should not be a speed concern on today's machines with a game that only uses 32 - 64MB of memory.

The 6200 is a hybrid, it uses shared memory from the RAM to improve performance...

The funny thing is, Vista shows up my GPU as:
Vista said:
Gaming graphics 654 MB Total available graphics memory

My Graphics Card sems to be unable to run OpenGL properly, anyway. I've tried with SRB2, which runs slowly. Half-Life (demo), which won't let me run in OpenGL. And GZDoom, which doesn't display graphics so I had to manually change back to Software rendering by editing the config file.

So, KTHXBYE. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back