• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Importing Doom levels to SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGally

Since Doom and SRB2 use (to some degree) the same engine, I thought of a funny idea. How about importing a level from Doom over to SRB2, just to see how it plays out? Obviously the Doom items, enemies etc don't exist in SRB2, but it would be funny to run around such a familiar environment, and see how easily Sonic has it compared to the Doom guy!! :P

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shadowwing/misc/multiplayx.zip

Conversion of E1M1 in there. I think it was MAP46?... Whatev. Made before I had a grasp on texture editing, so naturally, it doesn't exactly LOOK like the stage, but the layout's still the same. Also, in the exit room, you can thok through the glass walls. This won't take you outside the level or anything (the level's definitely thok-barriered), but still, it needs work.

Oh, and it's a Match stage, not a 1-Player. Sorry.

Is "impossible" import levels directly from DOOM: they are more smallest and haven't any thok barriers. You can only recreate them.

If you use SRB2Xmas, running Doom maps in SRB2 should work... the health potions are replaced with rings, the medkits are ringboxes, etc. SRB2 is very loosely based on Sonic Doom 2, so there's a couple hangovers.

Yes, yesterday I have visited his page and here is a DOOM level recreation (as far as I can remember).

Thanks. Too bad the one on Jason's site is so glitchy. The idea is good, it has the graphics (though I don't care for Sonic being replaced with Doomguy), but it needs work. I downloaded some other WADs he made, meanwhile.

I also played the DM-only Doom 1 level. It was neat - stable, and used SRB2's graphics rather than Doom's. Not bad at all.

CGally said:
Thanks. Too bad the one on Jason's site is so glitchy. The idea is good, it has the graphics (though I don't care for Sonic being replaced with Doomguy), but it needs work. I downloaded some other WADs he made, meanwhile.
I was just learning how to "port" then. That was my very first port to SRB2 and such, and I gained a lot of experience from the mistakes I made there. It would be easier for me to start over with that then to fix it, but I don't care to do either right now.
Check out my Srb2 Xmas and Srb2 Ween conversions if you want to see more of my recent work. Back then, Srb2 was far more doom-like and such.

I have a better idea. Porting SRB2 levels to Doom! :o It'd be really cool.

Yeah, but FOFs are a real pain in the rear in DOOM, particularly since, AFAIK, only Legacy does them terribly well.

I'd guess 'No', because if they were, then Doom 2 would just be a big MOD off of Doom 1.

Havn't played any of them, though, so don't trust me.

Speaking of your launcher...
I'm sorry, I've only got the 'Play SRB2!' buttons and the 'Refresh' button done, along with a nifty little sonic-themed icon for you to add to your project. If you'd like, I could send them to you.

Images

Excellent, thanks. That would be great. I'll try to make some progress sometime soon.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, before I get admonished for taking this thread off-topic.

Oogaland.

Actually, it was me who took this topic off-topic.
I have a way of doing that, you know.

I hear it's going to rain over here. We never get any rain here... Boy, our flowers need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back