I'm tired of n00bs on our master server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but there's another solution.

How far you've gotten in the single player game lets you access the console commands and multiplayer features.

Color and SKIN commands are unlocked from the start.
Beat Greenflower Zone, and you get Talk button enabled, as well as being able to join netgames.
Beat Techno Hill Zone, and you get the ability to add files to the game and host Co-op netgames.
Beat Castle Eggman Zone and you get the ability to host Race netgames and get the Changeteam command.

And so on, until you get all the commands. Beating Special Stages unlocks nothing at first, but eventually lets you do STARTLIVES and STARTRINGS in multiplayer, at the sixth and seventh stages respectively. Beat them all twice and you get the GRAVITY command.

All of this can only be unlocked in single player, so it forces people to do stuff there before they can do anything in Multiplayer.

Things like this make me wonder: why the hell haven't I gotten a new router so I can actually start hosting now?

Also, I've noticed that under each listserv'd netgame, it says "Permanent: No". This makes me wonder, is it possible that a 24 hour server could be hosted on the master server with a password that a select amount of people know and could administrate the netgame at any time? As long as there is one admin around, I'm sure quality control could be very easy - and bans would be rather long as well. :P

Boinciel, that doesn't work because you may accidentally lose your gamedata.dat. It's also not good for people who have a fresh install and just want to play a quick netgame.

In response to BlueWarrior, I believe running srb2 in dedicated mode (command prompt parameter -dedicated) enables Permenant Server.

furyhunter600 said:
Boinciel, that doesn't work because you may accidentally lose your gamedata.dat. It's also not good for people who have a fresh install and just want to play a quick netgame.

Back up your game data. Besides, it's not that hard to do a quick playthrough and beat GFZ.

Copying 1094 gamedata into other versions so I don't have to beat everything over again FTW.

EDIT: Better yet, once you beat Greenflower Zone you register a username and password on the Master Server and use that to login. Once you do, everything you have just unlocked is added to a short text file hosted there and the game reads the file. Everything unlocked regarding netgames is stored there so when you login you get it all back, regardless of which system you login from. There can be more than one person per computer, so this would keep multiplayer files separate.

Using Single Player progress for netgame options doesn't really do much to combat the problem anyway. Mario Kart DS tried it and failed, so what makes you think it'll work with SRB2?

Armand said:
Unfortunately, there are ALWAYS bad losers, stupid or brainless ( :P ) people on internet games, not only on srb2...

What we have to do is just ignore them... or pwn them on match, as you said ! :D
Or maybe you can host your own netgame ? ;)

I think you have to duel him to a match an defeat em

I'm suprised you're even able to beat everyone in the n00b netgames. Most of the times when I join a n00b netgame the maxplayer total is 32 or the standard 8, and I always get so much lag only 1 frame passes by in the 10 seconds, not to mention the added c-lag, while the host can play around without any lag at all. N00bs nearly ALWAYS have a poor internet.

Penopat said:
Now, you see. I have this peeve that whence I host a server, I actually feel like I AM cheating due to lack of control lag. I kinda don't like being the host.

Same here, the only time I host is when everyone is hosting coop, why do people play that so much never got how it was fun online But now for some reason I can't connect to the MS through the game :(

Two people right now who are really annoying me, one called compaq something, enters races and normal 2p modes where you win by winning the race and also who gets the most points with enemies and ring boxes and things, and all he ever does is stand at the beginning he doesn't touch the keyboard.

He was on yesterday and we did like 20 or more levels and he only did something for a couple of them, the rest he just timed out every time, and when he did do something he was the worst player ever, like basically walking and to turn he slowly stops, turns his character and then walks slowly again, also instead of finishing he keeps just walking around or very slowly killing enemies and getting rings, not adding many points, and then he just times out anyway, he was always last.

I came on today an hour ago and he was there again, not doing anything at all for a load of races.

The second person is someone who was on a minute ago, really immature, selfish and whiny, he was probably like 6 or 7 years old, he first of all when he first came in was accusing someone of stealing his name, not his username, but his real name, (Talia Wilson) that no-one knew, turned out he was playing some silly babyish game like i've got your nose, we had to say "okay there you go, here's your name" after him constantly confusing us for him to go "yaaaay!"

Then he whined for like 15 matches to go onto tag and getting annoyed and saying we were mean for not doing what he wanted, he then said we were horrible and match is boring and he'll make his own tag game. (after already complaining that he didn't want to make one because it takes to long after, after we asked him to make his own) he came back like 10 minutes later just to say match sucks i'm leaving, and he still wouldn't leave, he was blatently just hanging on to us and desperatly wanting us to do tag as he had nowhere else to go, and he couldn't make one himself, which is why it was especially funny when the server then shut down, he had nothing else to do, he isn't on any other netgames.

Apart from that he was doing all the usual annoying things, "don't shoot me I suck at aiming" then we shoot him while he's standing still and he whines. He asked us for our ages when we were refusing to do tag saying that most people want to stay here and have their own opinions, which shows how old he probably was.

So watch out for Talia Wilson.

DarkKitsune said:
No offense, but that's just too bad. If you don't want to play with n00bs, you're gonna have to host.

Problem is, a lot of the oldbies were already weeded out due to the huge mismash of n00blies. If n00bs aren't joining your game, no one is, apparently.

Beating them at match will bring the same result of "lol u r cheatr!".

Also, I hate the massive egos a nice chunk of the remaining good players seem to have. But that's another topic to discuss.

SMS, I just recently joined a server that had a ping of about 50 for me. And the host... ugh... he was a pure n00blie. But the server was probably the least laggy server I've ever been on since Mystic's server (Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this server was better lag-wise than Mystic's server).

Too bad he didn't know how to use the console and just goes "ok im hosting tag or coop, join house party" 5 minutes after we got him to host CTF. Purely wasted potential.

Uuuuuugh, you really know you're playing with n00bs when you go onto a coop game, they're on castle eggman 1 with only 4 emeralds and it takes about 15 minutes to explain to them why they wont be able to use supersonic. And I'm still not sure they get it. They try to argue with me by typing sentances I can't understand XD.

Edit: just loaded srb2 back up to see them in a bonus trying their best to get the emeralds.......*quits*.

Although, in relation, those "really good" players that only play certain levels or only play when they're the host of their super duper claggy server aren't helping this situation either.

An old example is Andy, since he used to own us all only when he was hosting. But at least he didn't do the whole "i only do rail levels" kind of thing.
Mystic really doesn't apply here, since it's fairly obvious his playstyle is suited for any kind of lag situation, unlike these guys, who built their playstyles just for their no-clag funtime.

In other news, n00b servers are appearing that are actually really low lag. jaydz and house party, for example.

Penopat said:
Although, in relation, those "really good" players that only play certain levels or only play when they're the host of their super duper claggy server aren't helping this situation either.

An old example is Andy, since he used to own us all only when he was hosting. But at least he didn't do the whole "i only do rail levels" kind of thing.
Mystic really doesn't apply here, since it's fairly obvious his playstyle is suited for any kind of lag situation, unlike these guys, who built their playstyles just for their no-clag funtime.

In other news, n00b servers are appearing that are actually really low lag. jaydz and house party, for example.

While I do host servers that others complain to be unplayably laggy, at least I'm not limited to solely hosting. The only times that I would skip a map, are either when it is lagging up the server, or if absolutely nobody wants to play it.

Eh, there was a time I couldn't host at all, and all I could do was join servers. I didn't do that bad, actually. Heck, I barely knew what c-lag was in the first place so I just played dealing with c-lag that entire time. When I started hosting, I realized everything was so much "faster" so I started hosting more often, eventually barely joining games at all. Then I went back to joining games, such as Mystic's and met c-lag. Not very awesome :(. Though I am joining games most of the time now, and barely hosting, as some of you might realize my server isn't up as much anymore, I'm starting to get back to dealing with the c-lag.

FoxBlitzz said:
furyhunter600 said:
This is absolutely outrageous. At this rate, it may be neccessary to force users to register their server on their own accord through some registration system

I've brought up the idea of having some registration system on the Master Server, but nobody ever actually listened to me. This is the product of it. Can't we have a little more moderation around here?

Last I heard, Logan was planning on a verification system for the MS.

Nobody good ever hosts anymore guys, what are you on about? ^_~

Good servers are a myth...
That may change in the future though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back