Idea regarding locked topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
I've been thinking about something. Locked topics clutter up all the forums. What if we took all locked topics and moved them to their own page, to get them out of the way? This way, you could more easily navigate unlocked topics, but the locked topics would still be there, in case one of them was useful. Is this a stupid idea?

That could be a useful idea but, have you thought that maybe it'd be easier on the Administrators and Moderators if things stay as they are? If things stay as they are, the Admins and Mods don't have to waste time yanking locked topics back and forth constantly between boards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff has a "quarantined" board as a way of moving really crap posts into a place hidden. My forums have that and a trash forum for crap topics that don't deserve to be hidden, but I personally don't think said forum would make much of a difference in terms of clutter.

We have this system over at wadbase and clears all the rubbish topics away, it would be easier for users if they made a locked forum to store all the locked topics.

Yeah, I think the administrators and moderators could learn a lot from how Wadbase is set up.

Yeah, we can really learn from a board with all of 10 people on it.

Besides, some of the locked topics are good for posterity, amongst other things. SMS and his DirectX10 thread come to mind.

You realize, of course, that if we really thought this was a good idea, it would have been done by now.

Blue Warrior said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the staff has a "quarantined" board as a way of moving really crap posts into a place hidden. My forums have that and a trash forum for crap topics that don't deserve to be hidden, but I personally don't think said forum would make much of a difference in terms of clutter.

This is pretty much how it is, yeah, with the exception that we keep just one, and it's entirely hidden.

Spazzo, I know it's really small, but just because a message board is small doesn't mean it can't be innovative. In fact, a smaller board might be even MORE innovative, because less people will have to agree on changes and stuff. I think it has a great setup.

By the way, forgive me for being literal here, but Wadbase actually has 51 people, not 10.

That's good, but my idea was to have an entire "locked topics" forum, possibly in Archives, that keeps the topics but moves them out of the way so that unlocked topics are easier to sift through.

Except that's totally pointless, because if it's moved there, the author won't know, and make a duplicate of the locked one. The only way to let the author know that isn't a waste of time would be to leave a shadow topic...Which defeats the whole purpose of moving the locked topic in the first place. And I'm certainly not about to send a PM off to every person whose topic I wind up locking.

Dark Warrior said:
Except that's totally pointless, because if it's moved there, the author won't know, and make a duplicate of the locked one. The only way to let the author know that isn't a waste of time would be to leave a shadow topic...Which defeats the whole purpose of moving the locked topic in the first place. And I'm certainly not about to send a PM off to every person whose topic I wind up locking.
You wait a certain ammount of days from when the topic was locked before you move it.

This won't be happening. The reason we keep them around to begin with is that it shows a user why the topic got locked in the first place. If you want to help and reduce the amount of locks, there is an easy way: Don't make a stupid topic and don't reply to topics that could make an admin lock it if it gets out of hand. This should be common sense to everyone. Shame it never is.

Silent_Snipe said:
Dark Warrior said:
You wait a certain ammount of days from when the topic was locked before you move it.
Which is pointless, because by that time, the other relevant topics have already been bumped above the locked topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back