I need a few suggestions. And and answers to poll questions.

Think this idea will crash and burn?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• We'll just have to see.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeshiro

Some time over the summer, I play to host an SRB2 tournament. I wanted it to be an all character wad tournament and make things interesting. I'm choosing to do it over the summer for a few reasons.

One: I have many wads to complete myself.

Two: Most of everyone's other characters will be done.

Three: People will have more time to play during the summer.

---

The issue that I'm having is, I don't want to make a dull netgame with character wads if everyone's basically going to have the same moves. Thus, I decided that SpMoves would be the best version to go by.

I am more than willing to convert character wads to use "Sp Moves" if people are willing, but I will not allow character wads that use Chaos Control. I have this ominous feeling that people are going to overkill the move so I planned to make a custom Shadow that doesn't use this ability.

I'm looking for feedback on whether or not this is a good idea, or if there are things I can do to make it better.

Honestly, we've tried contests and they didn't work out.

SPMoves is also very outdated, and I feel uncomfortable playing on 1.08 (Control-wise. There are subtle differences between 1.09+ handling, and 1.08 handling). While others may not, I find it rather difficult, and using an outdated SRB2 mod just wouldn't work out. And too many of the moves in that are overpowered.

I guess you could try...

Well, there is many character wads available, and will be able to liven things up a bit.

I am supporting this, I like zeshiro. :3 I'll help, but I am not using SPMoves, let's use 1.09.3.7. Then the game will depend on the players rather than the characters ability.

If I end up hosting, I can handle five players on the weekdays, any more causes timeouts, and on weekends, I can handle...7? But it causes lag, and remaps are the only way I can stop it.

The weekend servers tend to be more stable, less timeouts and shiz.

Charactsre that can be used could all be put into a zip file, me and zesh have a few. :P

BTW, I want to do this!
I gotta finish my Tapika wad!
But where can you get SPMoves?

It's gonna crash and burn. We've tried tournaments before, they never happened. Also, SPMoves are incredibly unbalanced.

This presents a problem. I notice people tend to can whatever major event/project they do around here. I plan to stick with this, but I only see it crashing and burning if people don't join up.

The idea of a summer tournament, is that more people might have free time on their hands. I tried to make the timing as convenient as possible.
I also thought that more people would join if they were able to use different moves. I think that Chaos Control is a very overpowered move so I wasn't allowing it. I suppose that actual skill is more important though. All the more reason to host it during the summer. 1.09.4 will hopefully be finished and released on srb2.org. I had a specific setup for how things are going to go.

---

The preliminaries start some time early to mid-summer. This should get everyone ready for the upcomming events.

The elimination rounds (n00b knock outs) are after that. This gets things down to the final cut.

The name shuffling comes after that. One on one matches are paired up randomly.

Last chance matches are after this. This gives people who didn't get to enter a chance to get in. It also gives people who were knocked out another chance. New entries must beat the people who were knocked out to enter. People who were knocked out need to beat new comers to reenter.

Free battle is after that. This numbers things down to 8 entries (if there are that many left).

Then com the quarter finals, semi finals then the last match.

---

Also, I'm trying to come up with an actual prize (other than just bragging rights) so more people might want to join. Anyone have suggestions for that?

Foxboy has tried to host a tournament for some time now. After years the project finally collapsed.

I had an old version of srb2jte.exe, and I could not get it to work. This was one of many things I did to try to make it run.

I'm not letting this die until the very end. I'm still really concerned about people not participating though, so I suppose that I'll decide whether or not to persue this depending on the amount of people willing to join.

Due to inconveniences, I'll make sure to use the latest version of SRB2 once everything is set up, rather than SpMoves.

Heh, if this actually works, I think a lot of people will join. The problem is the hassle of setting up times.

An SPMoves tournament wouldn't work at all. Too few people here who would join would even know what the mod is.

SPMoves isn't good for netgames, it is very unstable.

Make it 1.09.3.7, and people can use their own characters in the tournament, provided they're not maximum in all of the stats.

So far we have: Shadow, SAKNUX, newknux, metal sonic, mechaknux, zeshiro, scorch (Renaming of mine. :3), senku, senya...If they're anymore, I forget.

Amy, riku, tailsdoll , Flame, mario, luigi(a wad I made from mario party advance sprites), SMS (I'm still making updates) and dany phantom from the series (I'm busy with it, and its already 5% done *dances)

We don't need extra characters in the tournament, thank you very much. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are all that are really needed.

The point of the tournament was to add character wads for everyone participating. I could care less what the stats are, because characters with maxed out stats are hard to control anyway...

I just wanted a tournament and was tired of seeing green sonic being killed by red tails. I love the SRB2 sprites (except Knuckles), but I want to see some new faces for a change. Once everyone's entered, I'll make a zip file with all the necessary wads in it.

If this tournament is even going to continue. Using SPmoved certainly won't work. Do this when 1.09.4 is out. And yes I know that characters with maximum stats are very hard to control.Thats why I didn't do that with SMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back