I have a question about the Sonic Robo Blast 2 Workshop.

The Unknown Watcher

Enjoy life, And be kind, Others shall follow suit.
I was wondering, There were some cool mods on the WS, And I noticed that there was a Blue Sphere section (where only mods that appeal to the Master Board mod submission rules are posted) and a Red Sphere section (where only mods that DON'T appeal to the MB mod submission rules are sent), Is it legal (You don't get the permanent ban hammer dropped on you) to host WS mods from the Blue Sphere section?

The rules say that you can't host mods that aren't from the mb.

Wait for some other people with more knowledge than me.

I tried searching through the discord to see if this question has been asked before, no luck. What I did see was just the general advice of "Don't host workshop mods". From my understanding, since the Workshop holds illegal mods (such as the Red Sphere section) which contain stolen content, portlegs, etc, it's for the best you refrain from using those mods while hosting publicly, as it falls under the Master Server's rule #6:

6. No hosting unauthorized ports or edits of released content​

Respect the artists in our community by keeping such files to yourself.
So long as it isn't on the Master Server, there shouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately you should abstain unless a moderator explicitly states that Blue Sphere section mods are safe to host. Though, to be honest, if the mod adheres to this MB's rules, then by all means it should be posted here. 🤷‍♂️

I tried searching through the discord to see if this question has been asked before, no luck. What I did see was just the general advice of "Don't host workshop mods". From my understanding, since the Workshop holds illegal mods (such as the Red Sphere section) which contain stolen content, portlegs, etc, it's for the best you refrain from using those mods while hosting publicly, as it falls under the Master Server's rule #6:

So long as it isn't on the Master Server, there shouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately you should abstain unless a moderator explicitly states that Blue Sphere section mods are safe to host. Though, to be honest, if the mod adheres to this MB's rules, then by all means it should be posted here. 🤷‍♂️
Your right, Yes, But that doesn't always mean the person who MADE the mod isn't BANNED on here, Unable to do so, But then again, Me fighting my own mission over here, That does NOT mean they can ask a friend that ISN'T banned to post it on their behalf. But in all due respect to the MB mod team they should have come out with a statement that determines if Blue Sphere mods are safe to host publicly.

Last edited:
the MB mod team they should have come out with a statement that determines if Blue Sphere mods are safe to host publicly
That's not needed. It's also risky if they'd done such a thing; STJr don't need to take responsibility for the rules of other websites. The responsibility falls on the users here.
I was wondering, There were some cool mods on the WS, And I noticed that there was a Blue Sphere section (where only mods that appeal to the Master Board mod submission rules are posted) and a Red Sphere section (where only mods that DON'T appeal to the MB mod submission rules are sent), Is it legal (You don't get the permanent ban hammer dropped on you) to host WS mods from the Blue Sphere section?
The only "Blue Sphere" mods you're allowed to upload here are those that comply with the rules here. There's no need to complicate it beyond this. It's as simple as that. Respect the rules here, respect Copyright, and you're done. Under Copyright law, the rights to copy/distribute/edit/adapt/etc. a work are reserved by default to the owner of the work, unless they give explicit permission to do it (EDIT: or unless your doing with their work falls under the criteria of Fair Use, in which case you don't need permission). If you see a mod whose author permits you to reupload it on different sites, as long as you abide by the rules of how exactly you're permitted to reupload (for example, giving attribution to the actual author and making sure the audience knows that it's not you who made the mod, so you wouldn't steal credit from them), and as long as you respect the rules here, you'd be fine.

Last edited:
That's not needed. It's also risky if they'd done such a thing; STJr don't need to take responsibility for the rules of other websites. The responsibility falls on the users here.

The only "Blue Sphere" mods you're allowed to upload here are those that comply with the rules here. There's no need to complicate it beyond this. It's as simple as that. Respect the rules here, respect Copyright, and you're done. Under Copyright law, the rights to copy/distribute/edit/adapt/etc. a work are reserved by default to the owner of the work, unless they give explicit permission to do it (EDIT: or unless your doing with their work falls under the criteria of Fair Use, in which case you don't need permission). If you see a mod whose author permits you to reupload it on different sites, as long as you abide by the rules of how exactly you're permitted to reupload (for example, giving attribution to the actual author and making sure the audience knows that it's not you who made the mod, so you wouldn't steal credit from them), and as long as you respect the rules here, you'd be fine.
Ah, I see, So it may be legal, But it MUST be uploaded here first, And by anyone IF the mod creator allows such a thing, All credit for the creation must go to the original owner, If you want to credit yourself, (And you WANT to be NICE about it. Like I would be), Find any grammatical mistakes (since not everyone on the WS or MB has the primary language of English) and fix them before simply slapping the post in here. Thank you for your over explanation! (I'm not insulting you, This actually HELPED me more than hurt me.)

it MUST be uploaded here first
It doesn't have to be uploaded here for you to be able to host said mod.
It just has to follow the "no unauthorized ports/edits" part of the hosting rule.
Just so happens that mods that are released here are 100% complaint with the rule, lol

If you make your own creation but don't release it anywhere, or find a truly original mod out in the wild that is not released anywhere and doesn't have stolen assets, then those are safe to host as well.

Note that MS staff are lenient with this stuff, at least from what I've seen. You normally just get your server delisted when you break the rule, but that's it.
Repeat offenders (i'm talking "doing it again and again with no sign of stopping" repeat) are the ones that tend to get host banned.

It doesn't have to be uploaded here for you to be able to host said mod.
It just has to follow the "no unauthorized ports/edits" part of the hosting rule.
Just so happens that mods that are released here are 100% complaint with the rule, lol

If you make your own creation but don't release it anywhere, or find a truly original mod out in the wild that is not released anywhere and doesn't have stolen assets, then those are safe to host as well.

Note that MS staff are lenient with this stuff, at least from what I've seen. You normally just get your server delisted when you break the rule, but that's it.
Repeat offenders (i'm talking "doing it again and again with no sign of stopping" repeat) are the ones that tend to get host banned.
OH, I see, So it's safe to do it on ACCIDENT. Thanks!

All credit for the creation must go to the original owner
It was just an example. Again — you have to comply with Copyright (do what the author of the mod requests, unless your doing is Fair Use), and if you want to redistribute the mod here then additionally comply with the rules of the SRB2MB, and that's it. It's not me who gets to say what you have to or not have to do, I just gave it as an example of what rules the original author might have for you. (Of course, if you're not obligated to give credit to the original author and not required to not give credit, then you have the option of being nice and giving credit to them despite not having to; as long as you comply with Copyright and the SRB2MB rules, you can be as nice as you want.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back