• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't let me unzip it. I click open and it brings up a screen with the file info and a file with a Sonic icon on it. And I can't add it to the launcher. Remeber, you're talking to a stupid person but I' probably doing it wrong. Can you be more descriptive?

wormy said:
I click open and it brings up a screen with the file info and a file with a Sonic icon on it.
Click "Extract files" instead. Put the files in the SRB2 dir(drag-drop, cut-paste,send-to). Than use the Launcher (download from the addons section, unzip into your SRB2 dir) or the consol (default key is left of "1") to add the wad.
Launcher: use the WAD files tab.
Consol command: addfile filename.wad

basically, extract the actual wad files into your SRB2 folder. Do not double click on the wad file, it will not work. Once it's in the SRB2 folder, use the launcher or console command

Hey, it would be pretty cool if you could double click a wad file to start up SRB2 with that wad.. 1.09 should do that.

Shuffle said:
Hey, it would be pretty cool if you could double click a wad file to start up SRB2 with that wad.. 1.09 should do that.
Remember two things: WAD is not a SRB2 exclusive format, and some WAD editors (like XWE) use associations too.

Shuffle said:
You can do that already (since it's the prerogative of the file manager and not the game). Just set up a new filetype, if you're using Explorer, with an action along the lines of:

Code:
X:\path\to\srb2\srb2win.exe -file "%1"

Edit:

Sik said:
Remember two things: WAD is not a SRB2 exclusive format, and some WAD editors (like XWE) use associations too.
Good point. In that case, you'd just add another action to the right-click menu. But I know you all know that. :-)

I don't think I installed it into a folder... Edit: I did.
Never mind. I use the Launcher, the wad is there, I click run and nothing happens. Do I need to put the skin number?

Either enter the name of the skin in the box in the launcher, or, once the game has started, open the console (press the key to the left of '1' and above tab) and use the SKIN command thusly:

Code:
SKIN [name]
Replace [name] with the name of the skin.

Bear in mind that all of this normally works only in multiplayer, unless the skin's designer has been very kind to you. IIRC, the SKIN command only ever works in multiplayer.

I was trying to do it in singleplayer, no wonder it didn't work. Okay, thanks. Edit: I tried a level this time and it doesn't work either. I give up.

Make sure you get the name of the skin right. It'll be displayed when the wad is loaded, and is not necessarily the same as the filename of the wad. Aside from that, I'm out of ideas.

wormy said:
It doesn't display the skin name.
Doesn't it? I was sure it did... *tests*

Yep, it does. Right after the wad is loaded, it'll say something along the lines of "Added skin 'Shadow'". It's somewhere in the spiel it churns out when the game's loading; bring down the console to read it through. Or, even easier, add the wad from within the game. Here's the console command:

Code:
ADDFILE filename.wad

Replace filename.wad with... Actually, I think you'll have got the hang of this bit by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back