I can't host servers...(I read FAQs multiple times)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3hLogan

I have a laptop and a computer that uses a router, and I can't host servers. I host servers, doing exactly as the FAQ says, and it says it registered to master server, and I wait...nothing. Now, I have multiple computers, so I host a server my laptop, and try joining on the other, and it works fine. It says my ping is 5200, though, the normal looks around 300 or so, I think. Is that a problem? Anyways, I joined on my other computer, and there was no lag or anything. I started the server with my firewall down, and internet advertising up and everything, just how the FAQs say. After half an hour, I gave up. Is it the 5200 ping? If so, how do I fix it? I love being verified, and I wish I could host servers to be verified all the time...

I've done that. It did not help. I am not the kind of guy who did nothing, and then went to the forums. I've been trying for months. I'm trying to get online for my laptop, anyways.

EDIT: Alright, somebody HAS come to my server! But the ping is still 5200, and I think it effects how fast they join and stuff, because he said it took a long time. How do I reduce ping, then?

EDIT 2: And I also learned that people can't download wads from my server. I think that is because of my ping, 5200 doesn't seem right.

It could just be that the ping isn't right for you...

Q1: Are you on dial-up?
Yes: Get out of the dark ages and get something with atleast 2mb/s.
No: Go on to question 2.

Q2: Does your computer suck eggs?
Yes: Get a new one... >_>
No: Q2.

Q3: Do you have anything running in the background that may be hogging your internet connection/computer resources.
Yes: Close them >_>.
No: Q4...

Q4: Start up a netgame, go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and put in 5029 as the port. (I know you said someone joined, it's just a precaution)
Could not see the service: Open your dang port on ALL firewalls, software and hardware (router).
Could see service: No idea.

I got an error, it said it couldn't see the port on that last site you had. So it's teh firewalls that are the problem? What exactly do I do now T.T I'm using Vista, by the way.

Yeah, Vista was already on it when I bought it. :( But I can still host servers with low ping using Vista, right? Because I can't really use a different computer.

T3hLogan, navigate through the control panel or something until you find the firewall. Turn it off.

Seriously, don't blame it on Vista, I can host perfectly well on Vista with a good 10 people before it lags.

I don't know a thing about Vista, but if you're using a shared computer, check with the person who originally installed the firewalls. Windows XP has an Add or Remove Programs panel, so if Vista has that, you might be able to find them out that way as well.

Maybe firewalls aren't the problem though; it might also have something to do with your router. My Linksys kept flipping me the bird by changing what port SRB2 used. Even when I forwarded the port it switched to, it still didn't work, for some reason. >_>

If all else fails, get a new router, possibly a D-link. It works well for me, though I still get random errors during a netgame that forces the game to crash without any reasonable explanation. That might just be a problem with my laptop though, I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back