Hurricane Earl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I live in eastern NC, I wonder if Earl will destroy my home it it hits us directly. That would really suck.
Is anyone else going to be effected?

Since I live in eastern NC, I wonder if Earl will destroy my home it it hits us directly. That would really suck.
Is anyone else going to be effected?

It would "suck"?

Better adjectives are needed.
I'm blessed to never have experienced a hurricane or tornado. Thank God, I'm still alive!

I live in SC so....... Should I be worried o_O?

Yes, you should be worried, although the effects won't be as major there, BUT it will be a cat 3/4 when it hits. It's a bad storm, be prepared. I prey to Chaos that I don't die.

Ahh, the classic Atlantic coast grazing storm. You likely don't have to worry unless you own property in the Outer Banks or one of the other areas that stick out into the Atlantic, like Cape Cod. Obviously, if it veers farther west than the predicted then you'll have more of a problem inland, but in my experience those things tend to be more of a rain and flooding issue than anything else if they go into the continent directly. I remember the last one that hit us spawned a few tornadoes and flooded every river in the area due to the insane rainfall, but otherwise was not an issue at all. There was an ordinary thunderstorm a few years back that did FAR more damage than that hurricane did.

Generally, if you don't live near the coast to be hit by storm surge or next to a body of water that tends to flood in heavy rain, you don't have to worry unless it's really bad. Even then, some basic preparation can mitigate the serious risk. If the authorities tell you to leave, DO IT. Also, take anything you don't want wet with you.

Oh, and a pet peeve of mine, take all the loose stuff out of your yard. The last time one of these went through we had junk all over the streets for several days because somebody decided it was a bright idea to not bring the trash cans in before it hit. If it isn't really heavy or tied down, bring it into the garage.

Last edited:
Fuck yeah, the East Coast gets to see some action for once.

Also, I'm a Long Islander. For a while now, I've been thinking that Long Island is WAY overdue for a hurricane. I forget when the last one had hit, but it was somewhere in the 90's if my memory serves right. This could have been what I've been waiting for.

I'm pretty sure I should be taking precautions of some kind..

Last edited:
Man, people are worried about this kind of thing?

I'm just gonna sit back and relax for a while, most likely. I've been through quite a few hurricanes already, I know how they are and I'm barely concerned.

That would really suck.

Incorrect, Hurricanes do not 'suck', those are called Tornadoes, Hurricanes blow.

Seriously though, you guys seem relatively "Meh..." about the whole situation, I always thought people went into a stir of panic about these things. =P

Same here, Cue. Probably because I live in the UK and have never experienced something like this, ever. If I saw a hurricane/tornado warning, I would like flip out and panic.

"OMG WERE ALL GONNA DIE" like Gauss on LiO or something.

Just a little while ago on the radio I heard it's just become less of a threat. Just don't fret (old word ftw!) and stay calm. (Redundant, isn't it?)

I always thought people went into a stir of panic about these things. =P
Depends on where it's hitting. Considering the Outer Banks gets hit basically every other year by a weak hurricane, I find it hard to get riled up like it's a big deal when it's not an extremely strong storm. Generally, unless we're talking a category 4 or 5, it'll be fine unless it hits one of the weak points along our coastline, like New Orleans, and in that case, it's more a storm hitting a weak point for massive damage than the power of the storm being the issue. I'd also love to note that most people didn't realize how bad Katrina was going to be before it hit, despite anyone with any actual clue about hurricanes going "oh shit" the instant the track was announced. I knew full-well what the implications were when I was told it was headed for New Orleans. The results were basically just as everyone in the know expected.

Same here, Cue. Probably because I live in the UK and have never experienced something like this, ever. If I saw a hurricane/tornado warning, I would like flip out and panic.
Meh. The reality is that hurricanes are some of the easiest natural disasters to get out of the way of. All you really need to do is move away from the coast and you'll be fine. Hence why hurricane warnings are such a great tool, essentially telling people along this stretch of coast to get away from the coast for a few days. Sure, there's frequently quite a lot of property damage, but our coastline tourist economy is more than enough to pay for the repairs to anything important, so as long as everyone heeds the evacuations, it's just a property cleanup effort.

Now, tornado warnings...those ARE mildly scary, since tornadoes can't be seen from a satellite days in advance. Time to get into the basement and turn on the local weather. I'll never forget that storm that destroyed downtown La Plata back in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back