Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sykotic said:
And I'm against the whole "ZOMFG THOKKING NEED SKILL" argument being brought up since that isn't what this topic was about. What this was about was that Sonic was fun to play on foot. This is why I made, rather uncontrollable by the way, which Sonic also seems to be, mach.soc which I won't and never will release on this forum. I like the oc because it makes players fast, and it gives me a level design concept to work with: long runs, because such runs can be done in short time with mach.soc, and a lot of people complain about running?

**** thokking. Sonic is supposed to be the fastest runner alive. Not in the damned air, As knucky said. Why should we have to adjust ourselves to your playing style if we want to enjoy ourselves?

See, that's the awesome thing about SRB2. It grabs concepts from past Sonic games, and recreates them into its own style. Sure, thokking wasn't exactly in the most classic of Sonic's era, but it's a great feature in this game. All of the characters have their own advantages and disadvantages, ya know. Just because you suck at utilizing Sonic's abilities doesn't mean everyone has to suffer and surrender them. Any character can win in any mode, but you have to actually be good at the game itself to win anything. If you're really in a jam, just mess around with your controls and actually TRY using different ways of playing the damn game instead of complaining so much about eevveerryytthhiinngg (everything).

Even though the characters are pretty much equal in power (in the long run, I suppose), the only way one of them has an advantageous run through the level is if the level wasn't designed properly. In the event that you have to make levels a certain way and cannot allow all of the characters to be equally matched, then you obviously lack the ability to make racing maps. Don't worry, though... there's tons of other modes you can make maps for; trust me, I have the same problem with SP maps. Just stick to what you're good at, which is... well, I'm not entirely sure, really.

When the ruddy hell was I complaining about thok. I don't like the fact that people use it like it's a godsend is all. Sonic is about being fast. Sure, thok is cool, but many of us don't want to move in the air fast, we want to move on the ground fast. If thok is being abused so much that for others to enjoy themselves is not to thok, something's up.

Sykotic said:
And I'm against the whole "ZOMFG THOKKING NEED SKILL" argument being brought up since that isn't what this topic was about....
Way to totally evade our feedback.

Sykotic said:
Sonic is about being fast. Sure, thok is cool, but many of us don't want to move in the air fast, we want to move on the ground fast. If thok is being abused so much that for others to enjoy themselves is not to thok, something's up.

Yeah but, I think the majority of us are using thok. You make it seem like it's 3 guys who use thok as a "godsend"...

on Edge said:
Sykotic said:
And I'm against the whole "ZOMFG THOKKING NEED SKILL" argument being brought up since that isn't what this topic was about....
Way to totally evade our feedback.

'twas not evasion. It's me ignoring your bull shit that is unrelated to the thing I'm trying to discuss.

I mean wtf. Just because I told you that the topic how thokking is awesome and stuff is totally unrelated to what I'm getting at: Sonic couldn't thok in the classics, and the only thing close to thokking was air-dash which made Sonic at max speed in air. Sonic was able to remain at that speed on the ground. In SRB2, Sonic cannot. So wtf is the goddamn POINT of thok if it doesn't emulate the classics as well as it should?

Um...lemme check, but as far as I know, this game is Sonic Robo Blast 2, not Remake Of Sonic 3 or Complete Ripoff Of Sonic 2. This game is allowed to have some different ideas in it. Just because it's main charachter is a hedgehog doesn't mean that it has to be exactally like the classics, because what would be the point of remaking sonic 2 if you can just go out and buy sonic 2?

ZOMFG (irony...) a441 posted. *shot*

Anyways, I beg to differ: thokking is great, and if Sonic has an advantage, the track probably has bad level design.

If I remember correctly, if there was no thok, wouldn't Sonic be somewhat useless? Sure, he'd be the quickest of the three still, but he'd have no ability of his own. or worse, that "split-second-air-shield" from Sonic 3; that thing was totally useless.

Changing the speed to something lower would help, I suppose, but is there a particular speed that would be perfect? (assuming 50 is the current speed) 40 would make it much wweaker, as you wouldn't be much faster (Sonic's run speed is 36, knux is 32, and Tails is 26/24(?)).

Or, perhaps, a sort of cooldown period after it is used? Maybe the character in question skidding back down to their run speed at landing, lowering control during this skid, and possibly lowering the jump height if during this skid? In this case, the thok could be used to boost speed, as it is now, but if used in quick succession, it would get slower than if you were running, or using it slower. The only way to truly keep this speed boost would be to spin at landing, but we should all know how much control you lose when spinning.

Just my 2 pence.*

*(haha i mad a funneh)

Nono, it'd actually take more skill to obtain the benfits of thokking; not just mindless "JUMP THOK JUMP THOK JUMP THOK". For example, you'd require having to use a good aim; right now, you miss your target? Simple! Just thok more! Now, with my idea, you miss your target, you take the consequences. Death, being hurt, or just simply falling behind.

Ever tried hitting a thokking player in match mode? Yeah, it's hard as hell. Liken it to bunnyhopping in Quake, I suppose. It'd take more skill for the thokker do dodge a handful of shots; they need to get everything perfect, or they get hit. It'd be much easier (and fairer) for a Tails or Knux player to hit a Sonic who is skidding after a landing.

Also comes to balance; with Tails and knuckles, you only get one chance to dodge a shot, ight? Jump. It hits, or misses. With Sonic, you jump and thok. Two chances to dodge a ring (jump over one, and another coms flying at you in midair; just thok!), this makes it hard to hit the Sonic player; if they just do this repeatedly, good ******* luck. If they fail to thok in the right place, perhaps behind cover, then they're cmpletely vulnerable.

Using this, it would stick true to the "not good for starters, but when controlled properly, is the most powerful of the three". You'd actually have to be good to be able to control him properly.

Y'know, I almost never blindlly thok. I thok strategeticly(sp?), like when someone's chasing me in Match, or when I have to cross a long jump, or when it's safe. I regularly thok in Prismatic Angel and not die because of this.

Hmmm... what if instead of giving you any speed, the thok just changed your directional velocity instantly?

Wow, this has been thought of before, and it hasn't been done before. ANYONE KNOW WHY? God damn it, just enjoy the game....

Sonic would be able to make turns much faster than other characters, as you'd just thok around the corners, and he'd be able to accelerate to maximum speed almost instanslty. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back