How would you rate the official levels? - Part TWO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic:

ERZ2: awesomesauce/10

Unbelievalbly long, with a plethora of gimmicks and enemies and other neat stuff. Also, quite hard at times. Pretty much the perfect level!

Finally, to add on to my review...

Deep Sea Zone, Act 1 : 6/10
-----
Fun at some parts, and boring at others. This is a good level, but could have been better. Needs moar action.

Deep Sea Zone, Act 2 : 6/10
-----
Same as Act 1 really. Not really different.

Deep Sea Zone, Act 3 : 10/10
-----
Great boss and thought. Nice soccing done here,

Castle Eggman Zone, Act 1 : 7/10
-----
A fun little level, a little lag, but good. Needs moar action.

Lag Castle, Act 2 : 4/10
-----
Well, LAG. But that is really the reason it is under average. Good gimmick at the end with the water.

Arid Canyon Zone, Act 1 : 9/10
-----
Awesome. The zone I was really looking foward to in this game.

Red Volcano Zone, Act 1 : 9/10
-----
Awesome, fun gameplay and nearly the best zone.

EDIT: AUGH, submited by accident.

Single Player/Coop

Greenflower Zone

Act 1 - 7/10: Not much changed except for that huge wall near the first checkpoint, but still awesome for a first zone's act. I could've given it a higher vote, but there's still this cramped part.
Act 2 - 8/10: I like running around this level. Not too cramped, and I like how there are many ways to go to the End Level sign.
Act 3 - 6/10: What I really hate about this level is that it's just a square, with rings, a grass border, and four blocks, which is probably the reason why the boss now goes up, up and away to the sky. Although the part where Eggman goes flying high is hard for Sonic, Tails won't be able to hit him either when he's flying.

Techno Hill Zone
Act 1 - 8/10: Amazing level, not too much slime and not too many. But the slime on the first part may need some decoration or something like a tube (to know where it's coming from, probably from the slime falls).
Act 2 - 7/10: I see that the Crawla Commander was removed, but both ways are difficult. But the good thing is that this level is fun to explore: under the slime, upper paths, etc. I observed that the slime isn't deeper, which is good for beginners, and for experts who want to get out of it quickly.
Act 3 - 7/10: Other than the fact that the train thing gives this level challenge, I like how this level is pretty much thok-free. Thok at Eggman and you bounce out.

Deep Sea Zone
Act 1 - 8/10: This level is actually fun... and a bit hard for starters. The gargoyle button-pushing is a bit hard, but I got used to it, so.... Anyways, the crushers are creatively made and what I didn't like about this level is that you have a chance of dying when you're not quick (or using Tails sometimes).
Act 2 - 6/10: I would've liked this level if the block-breaking part was removed. Rising waters are challenging and fun at the same time, though. I liked the waterfall with the platforms. It's a bit hard and if you use Knuckles, good news: you can't climb it.
Act 3 - 7/10: Hard, but all I can say is that it's fun for a boss.

Castle Eggman Zone
Act 1 - 8/10: This level is awesome, too. I liked the end where it almost resembled the old CEZ.
Act 2 - 6/10: Wow, I prefer the old CEZ. This one is harder than the old one, but it's got some cool stuff too like the chains and stuff. What I didn't like about both acts is that theres this badnik that has this Eggman sheild around it, and it pushes you.
Act 3 - ???/10: What? No boss act!?

Arid Canyon Zone
Act 1 - 10/10: So far this is my most favorite level next to RVZ. Great music, great everything! I love the crumbling rocks, the platforming, and the hidden stuff.
Act 2 - ???/10
Act 3 - ???/10

Red Volcano Zone
Act 1 - 9/10: 9 because I couldn't stand that lava wave. But overall, everything's nice. And I really love the falling platforms!
Act 2 - 4/10: I'll bear with it since it's not finished.
Act 3 - ???/10

Egg Rock Zone
Act 1 - 6/10: I was excited about this level, but I'm a little bit disappointed. The parts I liked here was the elevator at the beginning, the stairs that disappear.
Act 2 - 8/10: This act is better and bigger than the first. I liked the laser part, it's like something you'd put in an action flick, but near the end where you're forced to move (as if there was a current), it's really hard at start (I remember using Objectplace), but get used to it and its fun! And the Disco Room? Wow, that must be the BEST room here.
Act 3 - 7/10: I haven't beat it yet, though. It's a good boss to end the game.

Continuing...

Blue Mountain Zone, Act 2 : 8/10
-----
The idea is great, and that is really the only thing i'm rating it on. :P

Egg Rock Zone, Act 1 : 6/10
-----
Really, not that fun. A regular sized act, but nothing wants you to go faster. It is also hard-medium.

Egg Rock Zone, Act 2 : 9.5/10
-----
Fast pacing challenges, great gimmicks, KILLING difficulty, and awesome Disco room. Epic parts, the lazer, the shrinker, and the elevator.

Egg Rock Zone, Act 3 : 9/10.
-----
Awesome. Could have used more soccing. (Something urges me to say XSRB2)

Special Stages : 7/10
-----
Needs moar fun.

The rating for SP is 9/10.

I'll rate for you
GFZ1 7/10 to Easy I can get through it in seconds

GFZ2 9/10 A bit easy after getting used to it. Also noobs still get lost in it.

GFZ3 4/10 Excatly the same the boss is still to easy and the level istn't even good for match.

Thz1 8/10 this level is good I like it but its a bit too short.

Thz 2 3/10 I liked the older versions better It's just now peaches and cream.

Thz 3 6/10 No real changes except the sides of the train are now not hiding spots

Dsz 1 10/10 amzing bueatiful diffcult and fun all the main factors also Its been worked on for a long time I know from Demo 2

Dsz 2 10/10 same fellings as first ^ ^

Dsz 3 9/10 this one had less scenery and was a bit crazy but I still love it.

Castle Eggman zone this should be 5 acted with the new and the old

CEZ 1 10/10 long and fun

Cez 2 10/10 longer and fun and love the secret

Acz 11/10 this level dosn't have much publicty as all the others but I loved it

Rvz 1 8/10 You dropeed the difuclty why? anyway It's still fun

Erz 1 10/10 fun long hard untill you get used to it.

Erz2 9/10 Hard fun and diffuclt the Disco room is awsome.

GFZ1: 5/10: It's the first act, but still.
GFZ2: 5/10: It's bigger, but is the same.
GFZ3: 6,5/10: It's better since he runs away if you hit him. Oh and is it me or has he been more smarter with it's attacks?

THZ1: 6/10: Now there's slime, which makes you wanna take precautions with your jumps and thoks.
THZ2: 6/10: It's abit more harder at the beggining but plays easier after.
THZ3: 7/10: Good boss since he sometimes goes backtrack, and can be more hard if the battle continues.

DSZ1: 7,5/10: Plays well and have puzzles.
DSZ2: 7/10: Puzzles and water currents. Too bad most of the places lack scenery.
DSZ3: 8/10: Nice way the boss is executed.

CEZ1: 6/10: Big lack of scenery is BIG.
CEZ2: 7,5/10: Better than the act 1, that's for sure. Though you could add more Eggman statues.
No Act 3, yet there's the CEZ boss in SRB2, odd.

ACZ1: 8,5/10: Good play, good feel, good everything. Even the enemies and the hazards are here to make you run and not stop. Though, you could make those cactus more real by giving them a spike set.
No Act 2, yet there's the music of it, odd.

RVZ1: 7,5: It's pretty much the same except at the end. Too bad that random invincibility box kills a point.
There's actually RVZ2 in SRB2(which is actually BMZ2), but it's very, very, very unfinished.

ERZ1: 9/10: Excellent act, but I'm not sure that there is a difficulty balance between the 2 beginning paths.
ERZ2: 9,5/10: Same description for act 1. The difference in here is that it's more longer.
ERZ3: 9,5/10: Very good boss. More challenging than the other bosses and quite funny ways to kill it. The "only 1 ring?!" thing makes it more challenging. However, that same thing makes this quite a pain in coop.

Last edited:
To put in my two cents worth..

GFZ1 7.5/10 this is a pretty good level for starters, and there's some nice places to explore if you tinker around a bit while getting used to the style of the game. It's rather short though, but then again this is the first zone you play, so it was designed to be short and easy.

GFZ2 7/10 This is a lot bigger than the previous zone, and while there's a lot of places to explore, it doesn't necessarily look all that great, especially in the mountainous region where the brown texture is rather overused. But it's got some nice quirks.

GFZ3 5/10 The boss is kind of mediocre, and the fact that you're in a somewhat featureless arena doesn't help much. I understand it's the first boss, so it's supposed to be relatively easy, but *shrugs* just score 8 hits on Eggman and move on. I do like the return of that device which releases the animals when you jump on it. Nice throwback to the classics there.

THZ1 6.5/10 It looks a lot like GFZ until the second half of the level, just with the pallet-swapped water that hurts you. It gets better in the second half though when you finally break into the factory, though. Of course, if it's supposed to feel like a sense of progression between the first and second zones, then it does a pretty good job at that.

THZ2 8/10 The factory here is nicely done, and this is the first level that really tests your abilities, especially in the beginning. there's several paths to take to the end, some harder than others.

THZ3 7/10 This boss is a little better than the first, as it's still pretty easy, but introduces a challenge in the moving train bit, meaning a mistimed attempt at damaging Eggman may cost you a life.

DSZ1 7/10 There's a lot of scenery to take in here if you explore around, but be mindful of the water, as water-themed zones tend to be a nuisance. But for the most part, air bubbles were reasonably-placed, which doesn't make it quite as bad.

DSZ2 7.5/10 This zone has some good and bad in it. The good is if you find the path to the left near the beginning, the water slides are fun to get whirled around in (though later it gets annoying when you miss a jump, or take the wrong path and have to do it over), as well as some nice scenery and water effects. The bad is the main path forcing you to go through that area with the breakable walls. It's very easy to get lost in there, even when you know what you're doing. The platforming in the middle of the stage is okayish. And when you think about it, this is one of the biggest zones you play through.

DSZ3 8/10 The boss here has a few neat little quirks, but don't fall into the water, otherwise you will almost always take damage from the electric attack. The water tubes Eggman goes through is a nifty little hack.

CEZ1 7.5/10 I think the rain/thunder effects here add to the ambience. The first act focuses on getting into the castle, and it does pretty well incorporating the castle theme into the level. The downside is that the level usually lags a little at the end due to the sheer size of the main castle when you finally get there.

CEZ2 8/10 Now for the perilous task of making your way through the castle, easier said than done. Plus the castle holds some nifty secrets for those willing to look. The standard way of beating the level is a little unorthodox though in the end (and I haven't found the supposed other exit to the level yet)

ACZ1 9.25/10 This was undoubtedly my favorite level of the entire set thus far. The music sets the tone very nicely, and it's fun running through this big zone with many paths. It's colorful too, and the effects are done very nicely. the end of the level gets rather hairy for Sonic players though.

RVZ1 9/10 This was also another very good level, focusing more on platforming, but also incorporating a sense of urgency, as many platforms will quickly fall away, forcing you to risk a jump or fall into lava. The lava wave effect near the end of the stage was really neat though. The only downside is, once you find the shortcut with the invincibility monitor and emerald token (as seen in speedrun videos), you pretty much break the level's difficulty if you're looking to just survive the stage.

ERZ1 8.5/10 Just moments you step into Egg Rock Zone, you know this place means business. ERZ1 is a major test of your abilities as a player, and for the most part, messing up somewhere usually means losing a life. Plus in the multiple paths you can use to finish the level, you'll be hard-pressed to find the same gimmick used twice, meaning a new challenge every time you enter an area. You'll pat yourself on the back the first time you reach the finish in one piece.

ERZ2 9/10 And if you throught the first stage was bad, welcome to Egg Rock Zone Act 2! You're going to need a lot more skill (and some luck) to survive through this zone. Add into the fact you don't see the same thing twice, meaning every area you enter is a new challenge, and messing up will cost you a life more often than not. It's frustrating and very long, but you'll really celebrate when you finally win, after a nice little throwback battle with the laser from S&K's Flying Battery Act 2.

ERZ3: 7/10 The ambient scenery is nice, but the boss is rather annoying, and the fact that there's a lot of opportunity for dying. Trust me, the first few times you fight this boss, you'll be going through lives (and curse words) like running water. I went through 80-something lives (total) as Tails before I beat the boss for the first time. For the rest of you, just keep trying.

Last edited:
Im just gonna give my grade, don't feel like giving an explanation:

GFZ1: 7/10

GFZ2: 7.5/10

GFZ3: 6/10

THZ: 7.5/10

THZ2: 8/10

THZ3: 7/10

DSZ1: 8/10

DSZ2: 7.5/10

DSZ3: 7.5/10

CEZ1: 8.5/10

CEZ2: 6/10

ACZ1: 9.5/10

RVZ1: 9/10

ERZ1: 9.5/10

ERZ2: 10/10

ERZ3: 8/10

Well that's my grades for the levels. Could use ALOT of work on CEZ2, but I understand that it is incomplete. That is all.

Eh, I guess I'll put up my reviews.

GFZ1: (6/10) I really dislike how nothing really has changed, it feels the same, looks the same, and plays the same. I wish it was a tad longer also.

GFZ2: (7/10) It still feels the same, but it has a large replay value in terms of exploration.

GFZ3: (6/10) I wish the layout could be a bit different, a square feels a bit bland. Eggman running away from you is a nice addition that makes it slightly harder.

THZ1: (7/10) Much like everything else, it hasn't changed much, still a fun level to explore much like GFZ2.

THZ2: (7/10) Nothing has changed much (I sound like a broken record, I know). Still fun to explore all the pathways, and secrets that lie everywhere.

THZ3: (6/10) Nothing has changed at all (as far as I can tell). Still a decent boss.

DSZ1: (8/10) I'd like to question the transition from the THZ3 train ride to some ancient ruins that seems to take place in a large body of water (I'll guess the sea according to its name). But really, the level is huge, fun to explore, and has many paths that you can take depending on what character you have. I generally don't like underwater levels for the most part though.

DSZ2: (7/10) Much like the first, it's large and fun to explore for the most part. The block breaking maze was a tad boring, and broke the flow a bit. I think it should be a bit smaller. I disliked the waterfall with the blocks coming down it. The blocks should not come down at random and (if I recall correctly) not at different speeds (how does a block go faster than another block down the same current anyways?). The rest of the level is fine as it is though.

DSZ3: (9/10) Easily my favorite boss out of 2.0. He's just fun to fight. I kind of dislike him zapping the water if you fall into it though, if you fall too far out, you have a good chance of dieing (felt a tad unfair if you ask me). I would also like to test Eggman's intelligence here, as the logical thing to do when the whole place got flooded would be to electrify the water constantly until you die.

CEZ1: (8/10) Many paths to explore, and I love the chain gimmick. I also like those archer robots, they're neat (although incomplete it seems). I do think the emerald tokens could be hidden a lot better though.

CEZ2: (6/10) It's not that this place is worse than CEZ1, heck I'd say it's actually a lot more entertaining, but it lagged so hard at certain areas, which made it incredibly hard to complete (for me anyways).

ACZ1: (9/10) I'll first start out by saying that his stage is beautiful. Second, the music is incredible. 3rd, the level design is top-notch. Though I do have one gripe, that being the hanging gimmick that this stage uses so often. I don't mind it much, but at the very end of the level, this stage can become a real pain (I also don't understand the rings that seem to float out in the air for no apparent reason). But everything else seems pretty solid.

RVZ1: (7/10) It's a fun stage every so often, but it felt a tad bland overall. I loved the lava current that raised and lowered constantly at the end though.

BMZ2: (4/10) It's unfinished, but I'll bear with it. Also had a pretty embarrassing game of hide and seek here.

ERZ1: (8/10) It's pretty big, hard, and fun. I also like how the place splits a few times based on the character's abilities. Some parts are just plain cruel though (to me anyways) like the long line of crushers that you have to run through as Sonic, while anticipating every curve so you don't die; it just plain irritated me. I would also love the music if the guitar solo didn't take up half of the song.

ERZ2: (8.5/10) It's big and hard once again, the music is a bit better this time around. I don't exactly recall any portion of the level being cheap or unfair either. What I really disliked about this place (or ERZ in general) is how there's a large quantity of gimmicks thrown in. It makes all the other levels feel bland in comparison.

ERZ3: (7/10) He's definitely interesting, and is a nice way to finish 2.0. He got a bit frustrating the first 20 times or so I fought him (luckily I was able to stock up in ERZ2's Disco Room). Once you learn his pattern, and find every chance you can possibly hit him, he goes down in no time.

I'll review secret and multiplayer levels later.

Hi. I'm new to the forums so my opinion probably won't matter much. I've tried a few SRB versions (since 1.2 or something) and now at 2.0, these are my ratings so far (single-player mode): Sorry for the long post, but on the bright side, I haven't completed the games so there'll be zones you don't have to read about. :p

Green Flower Zone
Act 1 (7/10) Easy, as it should be for a first level. I do agree with other posters though, that it lacks places to explore. Also, the music is somewhat boring, nothing like what I was used to in the Genesis/Megadrive Sonic games, or even SegaCD and Saturn.
Act 2 (9/10) Much more interesting. More enticing to explore and the music track is much better.
Boss (7/10) The lack of good control of the characters (present throughout the entire game) is what makes this level a bit frustrating. Otherwise, good for a first boss. And I like the Boss' music

Techno Hill Zone
Act 1 (8/10) Great music. Great visuals. Somewhat harder than the first zone, as it should be.
Act 2 (6/10) The first annoying level, yet it's still nothing compared to what's coming. Playing as Sonic, you lose way too many rings and lives, so better to have stockpiled on lives on the previous levels before getting here. I think the laser and crushers corridor is unnecessarily hard for a second zone, and the crumbling platforms in the alternate route don't help things out when playing as Sonic.
Act 3 (7/10) The boss fight is exciting. I still don't get why you have to lose a life if you get out of the main area though. It's not like that's a bottomless pit out there.

Deep Sea Zone
Act 1 (4/10) If I have to describe DSZ in one word. It would be TEDIOUS. This is the furthest I've been able to get to, playing as Sonic. All that gargoyle pushing, crushers and hard to find air bubbles are irritating, and that's not the feelings you expect to get when playing a game. Seriously, a game should be challenging, but there are boundaries. If I wanted something tedious, I'd stay late in the office filling out paperwork for my boss - this is precisely the kind of thing I want to escape from when I play a videogame. This zone is so tedius that even playing in "Sissy Mode" I still think "Life's too short for this."

Act 2 (6/10) Less obnoxious than the first act but still too tedius. The crumbling-blocks maze is pointless, but since you can avoid it, it's not taking points away from the level's rating. Also, (applicable to all three DSZ levels), it makes no sense that when you destroy an underwater badnik, you release a rabbit or a bird underwater. So you are rescuing animals just so they drown?!?! Either get water-friendly animals to come out from the underwater badniks, or just grow flowers (ala Sonic CD) while underwater.

Act 3 (10/10) When playing the boss feels more enjoyable and rewarding than playing the actual levels, there's something wrong with the design of the main zone. Anyways, this is really fun while STILL being challenging (don't fall in the water or you'll get shocked.) This is so far my favorite level of the game.

Castle Eggman Zone

Act 1 (7/10) Some of the corridors go for too long with nothing happening on them. Still, interesting to figure out the correct way out. Music is kind of bland though.

Act 2 (8/10) Exciting gimmicks and interesting enemies. Plus a very creative way out and a nice surprise ending.

Arid Canyon Zone

Act 1 (8/10) Awesome visuals. Cool music. Surprising traps and enemies. The pulleys are an interesting gimmick. This is the furthest I've ever made it in the game (as Tails), yet I still like this zone.

Special Stages (9/10) I've only seen three so far. I like the music, the visuals and the concepts. "Get x Rings" special stages are nothing new to Sonic games but at least in SRB2, you have to work for those rings.

Last edited:
So, here’s my impression of the levels…

GFZ1 - 7/10 – Very basic, not much happening, but that’s to be expected of the first stage in Sonic games.

GFZ2 - 10/10 - Friggin’ epic. I love how there’s a million nooks and crannies in this act for all three characters to explore, and yet it’s also great for time-attack runs. The huge landmasses and the music (especially the music) lend the level a sort of majestic feel.

GFZ3 - 5/10 - A serviceable but incredibly boring boss fight. The decision to make Eggman flee after each hit does add difficulty and length to this act, but at the same time it feels slightly tedious.

THZ1 - 8/10 - Less complicated than GFZ2, but still fun to explore. The factory entrance and secret route to the goal earn this act some bonus points.

THZ2 - 6/10 - The enclosed setting makes this act a little less conductive towards open-ended exploration, and the multiple paths tend to reunite a little too quickly. Additionally, pressing the switch to open the goal becomes a minor chore after multiple play-throughs. Nice music, though.

THZ3 - 8/10 - A basic boss that has some fun behaviors nevertheless. It’s neat once you notice that the arena is constantly moving through a tunnel.

DSZ1 - 7/10 - The underwater segments are challenging, but not unfair. The overall level design is a little too labyrinthine for my personal tastes. There’s some neat architecture going on here.

DSZ2 - 8/10 - Largely the same as DSZ1, although the level design feels a tad more coherent. The waterslide parts are a blast and operate very well. The gargoyle puzzles are cleaver, though I thought there would be more of them.

DSZ3 - 8/10 - An unsuspectingly difficult boss! Perhaps the thing I like about this boss most is that it’s extremely hard when playing as Tails, which is a good change from the status quo. Very creative.

CEZ1 - 9/10 - A forest/castle act with broad, sweeping paths, innovative enemies, creative obstacles, and the great chain gimmick. The only downside is that exploration suddenly dies about half-way through.

CEZ2 - 6/10 - Hit and miss. The first half feels as if you merely navigate through one obstacle-course of a room after another. The final part of the lower path (the big water level-changing room) is tedious and feels structurally like it should be something from Super Mario 64, not SRB2. However, the cannonball field was a great challenge, and the wedding chapel was a nice easter egg.

NAGZ - 9/10 - Hyper level, indeed. I confess that I’ve only played through this act as Tails, and I skipped over a large part of the challenging platforming. I can only imagine that this is the ultimate test of a player’s skills in SRB2. Cutting down on the number of Jetty-Syns to focus on platforming was a smart move. The only complaint I have is that the general layout is a tad confusing. But, on the other hand, it certainly adds to the challenge! As usual, the music is great.

ACZ - 8/10 - The structure of this zone feels like a real naturally-forming canyon, which is a nice contrast from the more abstract GFZ2. The new badniks are all well thought-out and the music and graphics go wonderfully together. Two bits of criticism: The moving platforms in this act have transparent tops and bottoms, which I thought would result in the player falling through. That needs to be fixed. Also, the final part is unfair, not due to the difficulty of traversing cable wires, but due to the fact that if you screw up, you’re dead. I hope some sort of safety net is added for the final.

RVZ - 10/10 - Much shorter than the original, but still jam-packed with a lot of fun gimmicks. The lava tide near the end was a stroke of genius. In fact, I rather like that this zone is completely devoid of badniks, as it highlights the environmental dangers. The music and the new level textures go well together.

ERZ1 - 8/10 - Another short act, but still filled with things to do. I rather like that the gimmicks here are segmented rather than mixed, so that the player is introduced to them at a learnable rate.

ERZ2 - 10/10 - There are so many things about this act which I adore… First, it doesn’t feel like the “generic space-station level” that seems to be so obligatory in Sonic games. With air-lock chambers, excavation sites, storage rooms, biospheres and other distinct places, this act feels as if it’s actually a real place. Second, the gimmicks introduced in ERZ1 are mixed in cleaver ways and force the player to keep moving at a steady, exciting pace. Third, the sheer length of this act makes navigating through it a hard-fought challenge, but it’s not so bad as to make the whole thing tedious. Finally, the Disco Room and its music are awesome easter eggs. The only complaint I have here is that Pointy’s appearance seems a bit awkward.

ERZ3 - 10/10 - Surpasses every expectation one could have of a final boss. Is it big and intimidating? Check. Does it keep you on your toes at all times? Check. Do you bring it down in creative ways? Check! I especially loved how you could fly on and guide its own missiles. First class!

Special Stages - 9/10 Overall - Besides being aesthetically pretty, the concept behind the special stages is one that’s never been done in any of the official Sonic games. The difficulty is actually quite easy, and makes for a nice, relaxing break from the main game… Until Special Stage 7, which, as appropriate of all final special stages, makes you work hard for your full set of emeralds.

Sonic Robo Blast Remake - 8/10 - A really nice tribute to the original game. Gets repetitive after a while, but in the spirit of Sonic Robo Blast. Nice use of original enemy graphics and MIDIs. Hope to see all the levels and bosses in the final!

And now, the stuff I haven’t unlocked yet but have had the fortune of playing in version 1.094. I assume not much has changed, but if I am incorrect, then please excuse me, gentlemen.

SHZ - 9/10 - Ah… The NiGHTS into Dreams tribute… And what a damn fine tribute it is! While flying about as Super Sonic is a major (if all-too-brief) blast, exploring the surreal landscape as low-grav Sonic is serious fun too. My only complaint here is that the graphics on this level are sometimes buggy.

Mario Koopa Blast - 8/10 Overall - Another solid tribute to another solid game. The first act is a fine SRB2 level in its own regard, and the Mushroom Kingdom graphics and jaunty Overground theme only add to the joviality. The second act is a nice tribute to World 1-2, but is otherwise really bland. I know not many people like the third act due to its difficulty, but it's really appropriate, seeing as it keeps in the spirit of Mario’s 2D gameplay. Also, the 8-bit Bowser cameo is a nice conclusion.

So, there’s my ratings. Great job to everyone responsible. One more thing, though: I really hope that somewhere in the final game is a tribute to Christmas Hunt Zone and/or the SBR2 Christmas versions. Perhaps this could be in a secret room in Blue Mountain Zone?

Last edited:
...He's not 8-Bit. At all. He's a slightly Hi-Def version of the Super Mario All-Stars Bowser, so he's probably 16 bit, unless more colors were added.

*Checks the wiki...*

...Whoops! I could've sworn the sprite from Super Mario Bros was used. My mistake!

Rrrrrrating time!

--Single Player Stages--
GFZ1: An easy start to start the game. Let's people get the hang of things! (9/10)

GFZ2: Getting a tidbit more difficult, and more advanced, too. Brings the new players new things at a steady pace... (9/10)

GFZ3: A good boss battle, if not a tad easy. This WAS the original Eggmobile, so extra points there. (8/10)

THZ1: Bringing more difficulty to the newbies, but still a thokfest for the rest. Overall, i just like the level, though. (7/10)

THZ2: One of my faves. It helps with teamwork, as sometimes people try to protect the Elemental-Shield-Carrier if they want that final emerald, and also got some extras. (9/10)

THZ3: A very easy boss, but the layout of the level is cool. (6/10)

DSZ1: It appears to have more of a Mystic Realm style, and not a SRB2 style. Not to say i didn't like it, though. (6.5/10)

DSZ2: Somewhat fun puzzles and then some moving while avoiding something. Seems a bit samey and gets more boring as i play. (6/10)

DSZ3: A great boss battle! Very fun, and also shows how you can team with the others. "You take those two, i'll take these two, we'll both take the middle!" (9/10)

CEZ1: While the first half of this level i don't like, the second half is pretty good. (7/10)

CEZ2: Lag CITY. The emerald locations are pret-ty sneaky, but there isn't much else i like about this level. (4/10)

ACZ: I always loved this level, the conveyor belts, the new enemies.. Nice! (10/10)

RVZ: Everything in this level seems to fit perfectly. Well done! (10/10)

ERZ1: Forced gimmick after forced gimmick. Zero replay value. (1/10)

ERZ2: This one was actually fun, as the gimmicks don't seem that forced as they did in ERZ1. (7/10)

ERZ3: A good boss battle, but Metal Robotnik looks HORRIBLE. (8/10)

I would rate the Special Stages too, but i already forgotten what they were. :S

CEZ2: Lag CITY. The emerald locations are pret-ty sneaky, but there isn't much else i like about this level. (4/10)
City? It's Castle Eggman not City Eggman, the only city there is the yet to be made Dark City Zone.

@XAlted: you should check out the SRB2.org History page, there you'll see some old cutscenes about zone transitions between the zones of SRB2 (ex: Techno Hill to Deep Sea). It shows that the floor collapses and ends Sonic up in DSZ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back