How to delay shield ability in order to make room for char. ability?

I've given Sonic the ability to choose between two different situational midair abilities depending on whether or not the spin key is held down when the jump key is tapped. Because it requires use of the spin key in midair, if a player is wearing a shield with an ability attached, conflictions occur. What I believe to be my best bet is to provide a buffer in between the pressing of the spin key and the activation of the shield ability, as to give the player time to use the spin-key-related character ability before the shield ability activates.

In other words, the idea is, when the player starts holding the spin key, a timer is set. Once the timer reaches zero, the shield ability will be activated if the player has not yet touched the ground. if the player has landed, started to hang on to something, performed a char. ability, or let go of the spin key, the timer is reset. The timer should not effect the player's ability to use the spin-held char. ability, and as such there is a chance to use it before or after the shield ability is allowed to activate. My code as of yet is as follows:

Lua:
addHook("PlayerSpawn", function(player)

if (player.mo.skin ~= "sonic") then // no service
        return
    end

player.canAbility = false
    player.underwaterDivisor = 1
    player.shieldBuffer = 0

end)

addHook("PlayerThink",function(player)

return
    end

if player.shieldBuffer > 0

player.shieldBuffer = $ - 1

if player.shieldBuffer < 0

player.shieldBuffer = 0

end

if P_IsObjectOnGround(player.mo) or (player.mo.state == S_PLAY_RIDE) then

player.canAbility = true

end

if (player.mo.eflags & MFE_UNDERWATER) then
        player.underwaterDivisor = 2 // to prevent shenanigans in DSZ
    else
        player.underwaterDivisor = 1
    end

end)

addHook("AbilitySpecial",function(player)

return false
    end

if player.canAbility then

if (player.cmd.buttons & BT_SPIN) then // use the vertical!

if (abs(player.mo.momx) + abs(player.mo.momy) > (4/player.underwaterDivisor)*FRACUNIT) then // slow sonic way down
                    A_Thrust(player.mo,4/player.underwaterDivisor,1)
                end
                A_ZThrust(player.mo,16/player.underwaterDivisor,(1<<FRACBITS)+0)

else // use the airlunge!

if (abs(player.mo.momx) + abs(player.mo.momy) < (32/player.underwaterDivisor)*FRACUNIT) then // get sonic up to speed if he's not already
                A_Thrust(player.mo,32/player.underwaterDivisor,1)
            else // otherwise, simply redirect momentum
                A_Thrust(player.mo,((abs(player.mo.momx) + abs(player.mo.momy))/FRACUNIT)-2,1)
            end
            A_ZThrust(player.mo,8/player.underwaterDivisor,(1<<FRACBITS)+0)

end
        player.canAbility = false
    end

return true

end)

addHook("ShieldSpecial",function(player)

return false
    end

if (player.powers[pw_shield] ~ SH_NONE|SH_PITY|SH_PINK|SH_FIREFLOWER) then // pretty pink fire flower!

if not (player.cmd.buttons & BT_SPIN) then

player.shieldBuffer = 1*TICRATE

end

end

end)

This only partially reflects my idea, with the current status being that the shield buffer (timer) is (re)set at some of the appropriate times and continuously counts down at all other times- Any perceivable functionality is nonexistent, as one may have guessed. I would like to know, besides (insert title here), if there is an easier way to activate a shield ability at a custom time than recreating each one using SRB2's provided functions (which I predict becomes a chore in the case of the Elemental and S3&K shields)?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back