• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

How many rings in each level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostgame

I've been making my own little version of 1.08 and 1/2... and I've added some things people have been saying they want to see. I'm only making changes in the code, not Map, Sprite, Texture, or any graphical changes. The only graphical change is the ugly "Activate-Light dash" thing. (I made it look more nice.) Anywho... I've heard a lot of people say they want at the end of a level to count the number of rings in the level compared to the amount of rings they got... however, I don't know how many rings are in each level. Can somebody tell me, so I can add this?

Oh yeah, searching for every ring and every ring box in every level is REAL easy..

Isn't there like some kind of Find Thing function in Wadauthor? If there isn't, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I used to know what the perfect values were back in like, Demo 2. I don't have any idea if they've been changed since, if I recall.

If DOOM can calculate how many monsters and items there are in a level without the coder having to specify a value, certainly SRB2 can count the number of rings in a WAD for you.

I counted 205 free standing rings, and 55 in ring boxes (1 silver, 3 gold), giving a total of 260 Rings in GFZ1

You probably forgot those 5 rings above the spring in the lake near the end of the level.

EDIT: Well, I got bored and decided to do GFZ2 as well. I got 182 free standing rings, 10 gold ring boxes, and 2 silver ring boxes, giving a total of 332 rings.

shadowstar said:
The game will count it for me? How?
Well, like I said, this is based off of DOOM, which made sure to count things like monsters, items and secrets so as to show you a percentage of what you got on the intermission screen. Now, I can't say it's still active in SRB2, but I wouldn't doubt it's still in there, commented out or something. All you have to do is find it, and then find some way to modify the object settings so that only rings and boxes thereof will count (if I recall, DeHacked allows you to specify whether a thing counted toward Items totals or Monsters totals, so it's probably just a matter of SOC editing), and then award the perfect bonus if the player got 100%.

...and while you're at it, a kill bonus would be nice too. Ooh, and maybe some Par times?

What about the Time Attack? i've seen it months ago, but i never found it. And all SRB2 gives you is a drawn comic. Next to the question of why there's two comics for your given bonus, you should add something as thrilling as a Time Attack. I would of said to add time attach, but theres a chance its already out there somewhere.

Or you can iterate through all of the objects in the level when the level loads and count which ones are rings, and maybe also taking steps to count monitor boxes.

I dunno, it's supposed to be more of a "corny 80's TV show" thing.

"One of these days martha, I'm gonna punch you in the face. *Smiles all around*"

Side note, there is a timeattacked console command in SRB2. But really all it does is link like Sonic: Time Attacked (omg pun), and make rings gravitate toward you.

Of course, you can use that with the special stages. Makes them a lot easier. Side note on a side note: Lightning shield (Screw SEGA and their newfangled terms) compounds the effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back