How hard was it to make Srb2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

This topic is really for the people that made Srb2, so WAS it particualarlly hard to make Srb2? I'd imagine it would be hard to plan, make, then test 66mb worth of information.

The project was started in 1998, and it still isn't finished. I think that speaks volumes.

Well, the game was built off Doom's engine, and it bears almost no resemblance to it at this point.
So I'd say yeah, it was pretty hard to make.

Shuffle said:
And it bears almost no resemblance to it at this point.

It still uses the stupid palette, though...I'm sick of 5 shades of purple, and 5 redundant white (literally, #FFFFFF), and 2 extra blacks. (Again, literally #000000). As well as the greens and pinks being horribly ugly...

Hey, at least the 5,000 brown/black colors make it easy to make highly detailed wood textures.
Really, the wood texture used in RVZ is one of the best in the game, IMO. I don't suppose there's some way to get rid of the palette so the WHOLE game can look that nice..? :(

Needs more purple, though. We only have, like half the amount for purple as we do for other colors such as green.

I also wish that SRB2 had no "palette", but like Shuffle said on IRC: "But, as usual, Software holds the whole god damn game back :<", it would take a whole lot of editing the entire game engine just to get a 16 million(I think thats the number) palette to work. SRB2 may have very great gameplay, but the palette limit just takes away much of the possible "atmosphere" of the game, and it also somewhat limits different kinds of level themes to have, and therefore we are stuck with the same textures, with very little ways to create new types of textures that would suit the level themes(Note that everything I said about the palette limiting level themes can be easily averted, since textures don't add anything to the gameplay, but aren't you kind of sick of seeing GFZROCK used in 50% of all SRB2 maps?).

If breaking 256 colors isn't possible, then I suggest that we make part of the current palette more "colorful." Neopal.wad is a great example of this(while it does go a little too far at making things "colorful" at times, I would take it over the Doom palette any day, and is still why I always play through SP mods with Neopal loaded(kind of abusing a bug, but Neopal doesn't make the game any easier). Plus, we kind of need to get some Cyan/Turquoise somewhere in the palette(deleting all those "useless colors" would be a great way to fit in cyan and get more purple.

Of course, all of this would delay 1.1 quite a bit, but not if STJR. gets more people to work on specific parts of the game.

I could talk more, but I'm already tired out from being up late, and typing this.

Maybe we could do what Jazz Jackrabbit 2 did: Have half of the palette be static, for things such as character colors, and the other half be dynamic depending on the level you are in. Though, I'd admit that this would take some major reworking to pull off.

At least it's better than trying to remove the palette entirely. That doesn't seem like it'd be at all practical: WAD sizes would increase and Software Mode would lose compatibility (which is one of the things that AJ is looking to preserve).

Put both the 256 pallete and the 16m compatibility in. 256 for software and 16m for OpenGL. Let us guys limited to Software mode suffer degrading quality.

And DW, check out the Pink pallete I made. It's in the SRB2 Riders topic.

All of you are overlooking something.

*) SRB2 switches to 16m

*) Everyone uses generic textures from all over the internets

The palette limitation forces you to be creative and make your own, rather than ripping off the billions available online.

TBH, 16m realistic-looking textures don't fit the game style and look out of place.

Well, uh, how about 512? That's not too abusive, right? It's more than I'd ever need.

Titanium said:
If breaking 256 colors isn't possible, then I suggest that we make part of the current palette more "colorful." Neopal.wad is a great example of this(while it does go a little too far at making things "colorful" at times, I would take it over the Doom palette any day, and is still why I always play through SP mods with Neopal loaded(kind of abusing a bug, but Neopal doesn't make the game any easier). Plus, we kind of need to get some Cyan/Turquoise somewhere in the palette(deleting all those "useless colors" would be a great way to fit in cyan and get more purple.

Here's something to think about...
If we have a Cyan/Turquoise color in the pallete, what are we going to do for a transparent color?

I didn't know that you needed to make a new exe for a wider pallete, I thought it could be done through WADS.

Ritz said:
Well, uh, how about 512? That's not too abusive, right? It's more than I'd ever need.

Exactly. Double the amount of colours, get all the extra needed colours in, and still have room for alternate shades! It's perfect! Although, if that's too hard, 384 is only 128 extra colours... I just hope this won't require a massive rewrite of the Doom engine.

But SSN is right. Sixteen million colours are just too many for SRB2.

We could try 1024, 2048, or somewhere along those lines. With that, textures taken from the internet would be harder to put in than with 16m, yet we can still have shades of colors such as Cyan, Red-Orange, Yellow-Green, Purple, and pretty much what was is missing in SRB2 right now. We could also maybe limit each texture/sprite to only 256 colors to screw over Google-searched textures even better.

If that can't be done, at least make the main palette more colorful in many of its areas(better green, "Gold" palette being similar to Neopal's(don't rip it off completely though).

I'll side with Ritz on this one. I'd appreciate having 512, which will hopefully fix up the stupid error the palette has with making all oranges fade into white....

The reason it's 256 is because the value of one byte can be from 0-255. So one byte is used for color information. If it was increased, then it would be 65536 colors (two bytes can go from 0-65535).

SSNTails said:
The reason it's 256 is because the value of one byte can be from 0-255. So one byte is used for color information. If it was increased, then it would be 65536 colors (two bytes can go from 0-65535).

Maybe if you were to make that a "smaller version of 16m", we might still be able to stop Google searching and pasting... And remember my idea about only 256 colors per texture/sprite/ect...

Segmint said:
So wait, the palette is so limited intentionally?!

Yes. Why do you think all old games (and even some pretty recent ones) are 256 colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back