How do you make forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.phpbb.com/

Download the phpBB forum software, then upload it onto your personal webspace.

There are also hosted solutions if you don't have your own webspace. You get less control it would seem, so it wouldn't be ideal if you already have an FTP server. I go to another forum that is run by ProBoards, actually. It has ads but they get blocked by my browser anyway.

Also, good luck getting exposure if you decide to do this. You need to provide good accommodations if you expect people to join.

Password-protected? Can't you contact tech-support about that? They might be able to make your FTP directory publicly viewable (like mine).

And by hosted solutions, I mean something where the service hosts the board, not you. You access the board through a URL such as site.proboards.com, rather than your own address. They're typically less powerful and have ads, but are more accessible. EZBoard was a popular one back in the day, but ever since, they've lost attention as more people turned to self-installation forum software such as phpBB.

FoxBlitzz said:
Password-protected? Can't you contact tech-support about that? They might be able to make your FTP directory publicly viewable (like mine).

And by hosted solutions, I mean something where the service hosts the board, not you. You access the board through a URL such as site.proboards.com, rather than your own address. They're typically less powerful and have ads, but are more accessible. EZBoard was a popular one back in the day, but ever since, they've lost attention as more people turned to self-installation forum software such as phpBB.

tech-support = my dad. my dad = no. (I made it on a program called Iweb). Would a freewebs site work?

No. You need access to a real FTP server that allows PHP, not some service that tries to be user-friendly by using a site-builder program.

http://chaos.foxmage.com/ <- That is mine. And no, Radium will not give you an account.

Umm, Radium is a person from another community. Of course you haven't heard of him.

But yeah, looks like you'll be using ProBoards for the time being. Best of luck getting exposure, man. You're going to need it.

FoxBlitzz said:
Umm, Radium is a person from another community. Of course you haven't heard of him.

But yeah, looks like you'll be using ProBoards for the time being. Best of luck getting exposure, man. You're going to need it.

Heh. I thought raidium was a freewebs type thing.

Now for exposure hmm. nope, can't figure anything out. I have no idea what it means.

Exposure, meaning that people will know about your boards and want to sign up for it. A lot of new people making boards tend to not get many joiners, for the boards aren't well promoted (people don't see a link to it) or people don't see any advantages to joining it.

Edit: Blue Warrior beat me to it.

FoxBlitzz said:
Exposure, meaning that people will know about your boards and want to sign up for it. A lot of new people making boards tend to not get many joiners, for the boards aren't well promoted (people don't see a link to it) or people don't see any advantages to joining it.

Edit: Blue Warrior beat me to it.

Advantages of joining... hmmm a tough one.

making a forum is really easy, first of all you have a few different providers(free):

1. InvisionFree

http://www.invisionfree.com

invisionfree service is really great, and the support forum is really good, and very helpful, however, you don't get control over your php files, but IF is a great forum to start with. So far IF is the easiest, and has the best control for a free forum.

2. PhpBB (unhosted)

http://www.phpbb.com

PhpBB unhosted is really great, you have 100% control over everything, however, the problem with the unhosted version is, if you want to put it up, you must have a site to host it on, this means you either buy your own domain, or get one like freewebs, but either way, you have to upload everything. the only think about phpbb is not everything is straightforward, they have a support forum, but changing things is a bit hard.

3. PhpBB (hosted)

http://makephpbb.com/

PhpBB hosted is also really good, it has the great features of phpbb, exept that you can't access the php files, or anything of that nature, so you have to do the same as with IF, however, like phpBB not everything is straightforward, they have a support forum, but changing things is a bit hard.

If you're willing to pay for a forum, i recommend vBulletin, i'll admit, it's a bit pricey at $160 us for a owned liscense, but it's by far the best forum software on the market.

I have a professional game development forum which uses IF, acually, IF has the best features in my opinion for a free board, although in the future we will be moving to vB. If you want to see what you get, just click the link in my sig, i don't mean it as advertising, but rather to show you what you get (guests are allowed to see everything, except the arcade, so you dont have to register at all). If you need anymore help on making a forum, you can pm me and i'll help as much as i can

ok, well i will tell you one more thing...to get your forum in search sites like google, use this piece of code somewhere in your forum's html section:

Code:
<meta name="keywords" content="put keywords here divide keywords using spaces">

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back