How do I make a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikesword221

The man with no plan.
I'm making a map making tool so you can make your own SPM pit of 100 trials maps!But I have one tiny problem.I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE MAPS!Can some one help like give me a link to a game maker or something.

I'm confused. Do you want to make MAPS, or a GAME? If it's a game, you need to get an engine, know coding, other stuff... although Flash is good to use sometimes; usually when it's a small scale 2-Dimentional game. If you don't have Flash, download the trial. If you finish your trial, buy it for the $800 or so it's worth. If you aren't willing to use Flash, search Google on guides or something. I dunno.

You've got to be kidding me. "How to make a game"? Good luck. I'm sure you can just use game maker or MMF or to make a program that edits 5gb ISOs. Oh yeah, sounds real possible. Enjoy getting nowhere with that!

If you're looking to make an application, you're better off just using C/C++. ;P

But yeah. Basically I went from using Klik & Play, to The Games Factory, to Multimedia Fusion (1.5, then 2), to Game Maker 6/7, to using C with the Allegro libraries. Now I am actually fairly comfortable with some of the core concepts of C, and I've written a few nifty algorithms for my own 2D platformer game engine that's currently a work-in-progress. Shuffle's helping with the coding too.

I just decided to give up this sounds to complicated.although I'm going to make this one day...one day.

You're not going to accomplish anything if you just give up. It takes a lot of effort to make a game, let alone one that's good; SRB2 alone has been in the making for nearly 10 years. Most commercial games take several years to create, good ones especially, and they have huge teams of people.

To start, try using those programs Foxblitzz mentioned, then attempt programming. Far more flexible than any game "tool".

mikesword221 said:
Well can some one help me?
No. No one is going to do the work for you, which I sense you are going to try to get someone to do. Then, you will steal all of the credit from that person.

Orangelink said:
mikesword221 said:
Well can some one help me?
No. No one is going to do the work for you, which I sense you are going to try to get someone to do. Then, you will steal all of the credit from that person.
No I would not take all the credit.

Learn coding.

Preferrably Assembly language. It's real easy! And it's the fastest language out there!

Don't pay attention to Arf about assembly coding, he's just kidding :P Unless it has to do with the Mega Drive. Then use assembly or be ready to die.

But seriously, learn coding, use some of those free libraries out there, they're often useful. Learn how to program isn't hard, setting up the hardware and such is. Which is why DIV was so easy to use even when you had to learn a whole new language (no, don't use DIV, it's DOS-only :P).

Sik said:
Don't pay attention to Arf about assembly coding, he's just kidding :P Unless it has to do with the Mega Drive. Then use assembly or be ready to die.

Actually, if you only plan to release a program on Windows, the x86 Assembly language is a good choice, since it's quite fast. :P

Sik is just joking here, he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Assembly is REAAAAALY EASY! If you don't like it you could always use FORTRAN, which is a little bit more simpler than Assembly.
You might want to avoid the complications of C/++. Those two are living hell.

Arf, in the development world, you must learn this:

Really easy = Really crap...

In short, if it's really easy, it normally means that it's not that great.

I suggest using Game Maker 7. It's great for beginners, and if you're going for 2-d games there's no need to register. It's easy, and eventually, you can make great games.

(That sounded kinda like an advertisement. o_o; Sorry)

But it will still be kinda hard to make a game. Game's aren't made easy, no matter what the tool.

Really, you'd better use a real programming language as many people have said. Game making tools are actually not very flexible and mostly unportable.
I've used two different libraries (if you don't count the PSX PsyQ libs) to program games, SDL and Allegro.
Allegro is better suited for beginners, at least the old API, but good luck compiling the unstable versions on Windows (they haven't even got project files for MSVC)
SDL is better suited for quite experienced programmers and it gets more advanced and low-level than Allegro, but there are many tutorials out there that can help you.
Allegro includes mostly everything you need, while SDL is based on the concept of bare-bone and then seperate add-ons, so you need also SDL_mixer for music and sound, SDL_image for image, SDL_gfx for graphics drawing functions (ellipse, circle), etc.
Choose what you prefer, it's just personal taste.

Contrary to what CrazyChaosChao111 has said, I would not recommend Game Maker 7. First, games made in Game Maker 6 and up require good 3D acceleration that is DirectX 8-compatible. Not only is this somewhat unfitting for 2D use, it also means a lot of old machines are unable to run those games. Since there is no software renderer, you're pretty much screwed if you don't have dedicated video hardware (not to mention, frameskip isn't exactly built-in, so you get a very slow or choppy game pace on machines that can just barely run the game).

Game Maker also has poor memory management. It takes what seems like ages just to load the resources (it appears to load each resource about three times in total - I'm not entirely sure why, but judging by the load times this seems to be the case). Not only this, but the resources stay in memory until you quit the game. So if you're going to make a large game with lots of media spread across various levels and stages, you can pretty much say goodbye to any computer that has less than 512MB of RAM. Any competent 2D game would only require about 32MB of RAM at any given time.

Finally, starting with Game Maker 7, there is a severe issue with the license that basically states that all the games you make are property of YoYo Games. That's right. They're not even yours. With C/C++ and interface libraries, you have a greater degree of freedom. Allegro is giftware so you can do whatever the hell you want with your game - it's yours (though you are encouraged to give back to the community in some way). SDL has the GPL, which is a bit more restricting but you still retain most of the rights to the software.

If you still want to try Game Maker, I'd suggest version 5. That's the latest version that can still run correctly on most computers. It's no longer being sold, but I suppose you could find some other way to obtain it.

If you do get Gamemaker and need examples go to the GMC Forum(under tutorials and examples) download and read as much examples as you can to find out information on making certain types of games. I don't really recommend using gm7 because of what Foxblitz has said, but if you think you can handle gamemakers flaws go ahead and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back