• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

How do I edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just signed up, and I'd like to know how do I edit levels and characters? Is there some type of program that I require in order to do so?

Go to the editing section of srb2.org to learn what you need.
http://www.sepwich.com/ssntails/editing/

There's a tutorial on levels there, and there's a tutorial on characters there, also. I've written a tutorial that's more extensive than the one in editing. It can be found here:
www.sepwich.com/lotr-srb2/Chars/

To sum everything up, your levels and chars are placed in WAD files, kind of like a folder on your computer. They're structured explorer-like; each 'Lump' has it's own filetype, name, and content. A WAD can have billions of lumps.

There are two types of editors: Lump editors, and map editors. Lump editors can edit the raw data in each of the lumps. Map editors transalate the data in the map lumps to a birds-eye view of the 3d world. Don't get mistaken; the maps are purely 2d. The only way that thay're 3d is because of sector heights and 3d blocks.

For the lump editor, I'd reccomend eXtendable Wad Editor.
www.doomworld.com/xwe/

For the map editor, DoomBuilder fits the bill quite nicely.
http://codeimp.com/builder_info.php?

Post any other questions that you have here. The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. :wink:

...Just so long as your question isn't something along the lines of "How do I jump in SRB2?"

Oh, and SRB2 world is currently down, and editing is pretty much impossible without it, so you may have to wait a bit...

*Waits for Mystic to complain about the sig*

I use WadAuthor to create the level, and stuff.
DoomBuilder to align textures, merge sectors, ect.
XWE to replace images and textures, and stuff. Also to create charecters.

Same. Only I use wadauthor for nearly everything possible. It seems that wadauthor is best suited for srb2 than any other Doom err...port. It uses sector by sector building rather than line-by-line, so I only use Doombuilder to get the cosmetic stuff. I still have Deepsea on here. *Need to delete Deepsea.* Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Personally, the only thing I use DoomBuilder for is its merge sectors option for optimizing the map. I do the little texture alignment I do in WadAuthor ^_^()

Ritz said:
*Waits for Mystic to complain about the sig*

What's so complex about 144x144 or less that's so complex for people to understand?

Needless to say, I deleted the ~30KB image out of your sig. Your other image is 17KB, which is really much larger than it had any right to be. You really should try to compress it to be a smaller filesize. Remember, not everyone has a broadband modem.

Mystic said:
What's so complex about 144x144 or less that's so complex for people to understand?

Needless to say, I deleted the ~30KB image out of your sig. Your other image is 17KB, which is really much larger than it had any right to be. You really should try to compress it to be a smaller filesize. Remember, not everyone has a broadband modem.

Normal Forums have the Avatars Maximums at 150x150. As with the sig, I do not have broadband, and yet I have no troubles with the image.

Meh, that's why I converted all the images to clickable thumbnails on my forum. 18KBs < 300 KBs.

Try using InfranView to reduce the color depth. A setting of 512 or so colors is usually unnoticable, but it can reduce the filesize by about 3 times in some cases. My avatar was reduced with InfranView to 256 colors, and it's only 7 KBs.

Akira has a forum too! It's not MY forum so technicly(sp?) It won't be against the rules. Here it *Link Removed by Mystic*

What's wrong with 17 KBs?

*reads Mystic's post*
Oh. It could be about 5 KBs if you wanted it to.
Error.png

Would you believe that this image is only 704 bytes?

Well, it's not his picture, so why are we lecturing HIM on it? It's on somebody else's webspace, put up there to be used just like that.

Superstrider said:
Normal Forums have the Avatars Maximums at 150x150. As with the sig, I do not have broadband, and yet I have no troubles with the image.
That's because the image is cached on your machine because you have it stored on your hard drive. The reason it's 144x144 is because it was originally 128x128, but we upped it to 144x144 for a little more breathing room on each side.

Personally, I'm used to the limit being 64x64 or even lower, so 144x144 is plenty big enough.

Basically, using small files is just common courtesy. It makes everyone's experience faster. It also drops a lot of forum clutter because no one has signatures the size of small novels.

He could of done better than that. Sure he's playing with a massive controller, but you can tell he's pissed at it since he's not watching the game in the telli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back