History of the SRB2 community?

just wanting to know. seems like something interesting.
Post automatically merged:

oh yeah btw go to GFZ act 1 and find the gome (a blue gnome is holding me at gunpoint help)

Last edited:
just wanting to know. seems like something interesting.
The community got its start on various independent sites in the late 90s/early 2000s. One prominent early example was SRB2 World, which even held a mapping contest before the OLDC even existed. The SRB2 MB was founded in 2003, and the community has largely been centered here ever since! There have been a few other forums started by fans, but they have always died.

The IRC channel #srb2fun was used for faster conversation until the Discord arrived. At first, the SRB2 community used an unofficial Discord server that is today known as the SRB2 Community Server (CS). In 2017, the developers created an official Discord server that is now called the SRB2 Official Server (OS).

I feel like it's an important historical footnote so I'll talk about this here. As far as I'm aware here on the MB, you could largely chalk things up to two distinct major "era's", the first of which being under the administration of the "old guard", primarily a user known as Mystic who as far as I'm aware was the lead admin at the time and who's leaving the community marked the end of the era. Then there's the "new guard" administrated by the current set of staff. There's a lot of drama and controversy associated with this whole ordeal that I'm not going to get into here, but the real meat and potatoes of the situation is that the new guard has a different way of approaching how to run the community that while not always entirely free from drama of its own on occasion is still much better than how the old guard approached it.

Since I've had my account for plenty long enough to have experienced both sets of staff's methods of handling the community, I can speak from experience that for example the old guard wasn't shy about smacking banhammers on kids for typing with poor spelling/grammar despite the forum literally being made to foster a community around a child friendly Sonic fangame. My experience under the old guard was so poor that I actually gave up on interacting with the community for the bigger part of a decade before feeling inspired to return by SRB2 2.2's release, which was shortly before the drama that would result in the new guard taking over.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back