• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Hi, I'm new and I need a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincoln

I've been working on a test map that I practice on regularly, before I go about making a proper level. After taking several days to get used to 'Thok barriers' and a few other bits and bobs, there are now only a couple of things bothering me.

Firstly, how do I made a mountan with a tunnel going through it? For example

tunnel.JPG

And also, how do i make a floating platform above another sector have 'things' on it and underneath it?

platform.JPG

Thanks for any help guys.

I don't really understand what the first diagram is trying to describe, but the second one is easy enough to explain.

To place an object in the air without using InstaLower, you alter the bitset to raise the height.

Now, to add the bitset into the WAD in WadAuthor, you right click on the object, and select "Edit Raw Data". You'll see a box with "bitset" labeled and a number, like 0x0007. The 0x signifies that it's in hexadecimal, and the rest is the number, in this case, 7.

Basically, you multiply the height above the ground for the object by 16 (32 for Player Starts and Eggman), convert to hexadecimal, and add what is already in the bitset.

For instance, if you want to place a ring on a platform 256 units above the floor, you'd multiply by 16, and convert it to hex. You'd get 0x1000. Then you'd add what is already in the bitset, which would probably be 0x0007. 0x1000 + 0x0007 = 0x1007, so you'd place that number in the bitset and it would place the object 256 units in the air. Note that with rings, you generally want to add 32 before doing the conversion, because rings normally float 32 units above the ground when you use the Deaf flag, but that doesn't work in the air. Hence, (256 + 32) * 16 converted to hex gives you 0x1200, so you'd end up with 0x1207.

This will let you place an object up to 4095 units above the ground (or 2047 units for Player Starts and Eggman). Beyond that, and InstaLower is the only way, but since you can't create a sector more than 6144 units tall without making the game unstable, that's not such a big deal.

Thanks Mystic, I will try that :D

As for my other diagram, imagine a sector with height of 0, and another with a height of say 400 inside it. so basically its a block inside of another sector. I want to basically create a tunnel going through the block.

Well I'm gonna guess that you want to make a kind of cave in the first one..
In the middle sector (the one you want to walk through) just raise the ceiling some.

You'd need a floating platform above that sector. Anything that's ledge-y or tunnel-y needs a floating platform. FOF they're sometimes called, for FLOOR-OVER-FLOOR.

There is no such thing as a "lower sector" or "higher sector." Sectors are 2D. They don't overlap.

tuneel.png

It's rather easy to do. The sides (marked sides in the pic) are the top of the tunnel, say a floor of 800. The middle section has a floor of 300. Now, you need to make a 3D block/floor-over-floor (FOF) I'm assuming you're using WadAuthor, since you understood Mystic's description of the bitsets. Make a sector outside the main map (not in the thok barrier). It doesn't matter what size, but set the ceiling height to 800, and the floor to 600. Set the floor and ceiling flats to whatever your level uses (If this is a test map, you're likely using Greenflower Zone textures/flats. Set the floor to FLOOR0_3 and the ceiling to FLOOR0_6), and set the light level to 128. Then, select one of the linedefs and go to it's properties. Set the main texture to GFZROCK (This will be the side of the block), and go to the left, and under Class, select 3D Floors, and select "Floor over Floor (Solid, Opaque, Shadows)". Then, go to Sector Tag, and put in 1. After that, go to the middle sector of the tunnel (Marked Inside on the pic above), and got to Properties and select 1 for the sector tag.

It should be all set after that.

Of course, if you already knew how to make FOFs, then all that was useless. But better safe then sorry.

a441 said:
There is no such thing as a "lower sector" or "higher sector." Sectors are 2D. They don't overlap.
I meant lower and higher in the picture.

And you don't actually NEED an FOF to make a tunnel, unless you want to be able to stand on top of it, too.

Shuffle said:
a441 said:
I meant lower and higher in the picture.

And you don't actually NEED an FOF to make a tunnel, unless you want to be able to stand on top of it, too.

Yeah i do, so I shall try everything you guys have said. Cheers!

i wonder if lincoln succeded in making his mountain thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back