Help with Waypoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seelkadoom

Fear my(Sonic)Spice Powers!
I tried to even my best, but i didn't use the Waypoints for almost nothing. My problem is: I've already used them in Waypoint Sequences, but i don't know to do it again with other intentions and with other sequences. For example: I used many Waypoints to make the direction of many Polyobjects (move by Waypoints) and i successfully did, but i don't know how to apply the same but now to Rope Hangs nor anything else. Each time i try to do it, the effect goes to 'Sequence 0', and Wiki doesn't help me too much by saying "The Linedef Y distance determines the Waypoint sequence", because i don't know exactly what this means (i mistake it with the Sidedef Y texture). Can you guys explain it to me or help?

I'm assuming all your poly objects are traveling along the same set of waypoints. (sequence 0)

It is the Y distance in the 2D mapping mode that determines the sequence number. It has nothing to do with texture offsets. Your other sequences are transporting you to the first because you don't have the Y distance defined. So they all think their part of sequence 0 (0 fracunits= sequence 0) Let me explain.

Understand that in any the 2D grid X axis runs left to right and Y axis runs up and down.
An easy way to remember this is "X runs across the grid."

The linedef's Y distance means that for every waypoint sequence you have, the line should be made more diagonal by one fracunit.

Lets say for your first sequence, your controlling linedef is straight along the X axis. (which it most certainly should be) For your next sequence, move one of its vertices up along the Y axis. As you program more and more sequences, their controlling linedefs will become increasingly diagonal. So, say for your 100th sequence, your controlling linedef will start at some point along X and Y. It's other vertex should be 100 fracunits further up along the Y axis.

Here's a visual aid. Again these setting take place in 2D mapping mode where X and Y axises are made important.

This is the control line for the first set of waypoints in one of my maps.
Notice the line is straight along X (The line has no height. It has 0 y distance, for sequence 0)

aIsWR.png

For the next sequence in the same map, it's right-most vertex is increased by 1 fracunit along Y. (giving it a Height of 1. Y distance of 1, for sequence 1)
This tells the game that it belongs to the next sequence and send you to the next set of waypoints whose angle needs to start at 255.

Notice that the line for this second sequence has a slight slope to it and it's just barely more diagonal than a straight line.

This is what "Y distance" means.
Without it, your player will be moved to the first sequence.

OIWIR.png

And for every subsequent sequence there after, (be it zoomtubes, poly objects waypoints, rope hangs, or even boss waypoints) this vertex will move up by 1, steadily creating a more diagonal line.

Review;
The X distance determines speed. This is how long the line is.
The Y distance determines sequence number. This is how tall the line is.

Remember, for each set of waypoints, their thing angle must increase by 255. So the first waypoint of sequence 0 is 0, then 1, 2, 3 and so forth. The first waypoint of sequence 1 is 255, then 256, 257 and so on.

So,
A sequence lindef with 0 Y distance will send you to waypoint angle 0
A sequence lindef with 1 Y distance will send you to waypoint angle 255
A sequence lindef with 2 Y distance will send you to waypoint angle 510

Hope this helps.
Happy mapping:D

Last edited:
Sorry, i don't use Doom Builder, but the SRB2 one. However, i got the point. You could only say that the Y distance is the diagonal direction of the Linedef. Also,

So,

Hope this helps.
Happy mapping:D

That information was very useful. Thanks for it.

You could only say that the Y distance is the diagonal direction of the Linedef. Also,That information was very useful. Thanks for it.

Happy to help. Sure I took a long trip to a short point but I'm thorough like that. I didn't know exactly what problem you were having.

Actually, all of the starting waypoint angles are multiples of 256, so instead of them going 0, 255, 510... they go 0, 256, 512, 768, 1024... In general, the Y distance of the linedef multiplied by 256 will give you the angle of its sequence's starting waypoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back