Help with making a mod for srb2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerku

Hey everybody! In case you don't know me, im Spazzo's friend.

Anyways, Spazz and I have decided to make a mod for Sonic Robo Blast 2. We want it to be like Super Smash Brothers Melee, so most of the stages will be kinda "2D" like. We have looked into it and Spazzo is already making some wads for this mod. Spazzo also showed me to his good friend, Hotdog003, who is our offical level designer.

Anyways, i'm stuck. I want to help Spazz, but all this "WAD" stuff is really confusing me. I do have to say though, hotdog's character guide is really helping alot! Thanks again!

So, if you would be kind enough, could somebody please give me some pointers for level designing and modding srb2? Thanks a bunch.

~Soccerku~

soccerku said:
Anyways, Spazz and I have decided to make a mod for Sonic Robo Blast 2. We want it to be like Super Smash Brothers Melee, so most of the stages will be kinda "2D" like.
That sounds really cool!

soccerku said:
Anyways, i'm stuck. I want to help Spazz, but all this "WAD" stuff is really confusing me.
Are you asking how the IWAD and PWAD system works?

IWAD is the main WAD file. For example, Doom.wad would be an IWAD. PWAD is the mod. For example,[pimping] Tailsdoom.wad [/pimping] would be a PWAD. When playing a game, whatever's in the PWAD overrides whatever's in the IWAD. For example, let's say the game requests awesomesauce.png. The game searches for that file in the PWAD first. If awesomesauce.png is in the PWAD, the game will use it, regardless of whether it's in the IWAD or not. If it's not in the PWAD, the game will search for awesomesauce.png in the IWAD. You use a PWAD by naming your files to what you want it to replace.

Wow...thanks! That should help...ill go tell Spazz that later.

Also, is there any programs i should use to mod srb2 or to make levels?

Thank you Furiousfox! I think i'm ready to start working now.

Oh ya, if any of you guys would be kind enough to help us with ideas and such, come over to http://133458.aceboard.net and register. Spazzo was kind enough to make a message board (For free too!) for our game. Unfortunatly, we don't have an official site yet; but im sure spazz will make one when the time is right.

Soccerku's finally shown himself :P.

Anyways, ya. We are making a mod, and hotdog is helping with it. I suggest all of you goto http://www.sepwich.com/dmsc And register on it. You can only post a message if youve registered. Ritz and Hotdog003 (and now shuffle too!) have already registered and are posting away. As it is very cool :P.

EvilCowSlayer said:
IWAD is the main WAD file. For example, Doom.wad would be an IWAD. PWAD is the mod. For example,[pimping] Tailsdoom.wad [/pimping] would be a PWAD. When playing a game, whatever's in the PWAD overrides whatever's in the IWAD. For example, let's say the game requests awesomesauce.png. The game searches for that file in the PWAD first. If awesomesauce.png is in the PWAD, the game will use it, regardless of whether it's in the IWAD or not. If it's not in the PWAD, the game will search for awesomesauce.png in the IWAD. You use a PWAD by naming your files to what you want it to replace.

I nominate ECS to be our official tech wizard.

What screwing around with WAD Mangle will teach ya...

I wish I knew some sort of programming language, though. Like C++. I'd have quite a few uses for it. I only know basic HTML, and you can't make games and mods with that.

i am having a problem with a wad i is working on

what need help with is an error i get whenever i start the wad:

"R_InstallSpriteLump: Bad frame charectors in lump 2516"

What do i do?

Code:
9. Don't bump old topics. Unless you have something incredibly interesting or full of content, don't post in something more than a week old.

shadowsfollower don't bump old topics, please. You'd better start a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back