Haiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
So...the Haitian earthquake has killed about 200,000 people at the last count, and essentially leveled the city of Port-au-Prince. About 3 million people, perhaps more, have lost what little they had in this disaster. This is probably the most horrible place on Earth to be right now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, I saw it on TV a while ago but didn't quite know that it was Haiti though. That place sounds horrible and miserable right now...

Say, was that place already horrible before the earthquake? If so then this is really awful.

After seeing the pictures on MSN Today i was shocked to see the news. My friends mother is currently staying in Port-au-Prince. I sure hope shes alive.

Well, I saw it on TV a while ago but didn't quite know that it was Haiti though. That place sounds horrible and miserable right now...

Say, was that place already horrible before the earthquake? If so then this is really awful.

Bingo. Haiti has been plagued by the tangled problems of poverty, technological backwardness, deforestation on a horrific scale, flooding, and overpopulation. It was among the most improvished nations in the Western Hemisphere before the earthquake struck, and lacking its own resources to recover without foreign aid, is certaintly no better now.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about making a topic about this. I am Haitian myself, and while I never been to Haiti, my parents were born there, so they know how horrible this is for the country. The worst part about it, (according to my parents) the haitian government isn't really doing anything, because they never do anything. So think how this would all add up; poor country, unstable govenment, earthquake; pretty bad isn't it.

I hope that an effort on building earthquake resistant buildings will be made now so in the future this won't happen again.

It won't happen as long as Haiti continues to be in the state it's in. As the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti can't really enforce building codes, which is what cause the earthquake to be so devastating in the first place.

The events in Haiti are not only worrying for me on a widescale level, with the state Haiti was in even before this whole catastrophie, but also on a personal level, as my parents were going with a group on a mission trip to Haiti, when all of a sudden this happened.

Although some group members have already backed out, my parents will probably still end up going down there to help out any way they can. And I'm sure the people there could use all the help they can get, however I'm just worried for my parents safety.

With the military down there keeping control among other sorts of things though, hopefully it'll be less chaotic when they do head down next month.

So...the Haitian earthquake has killed about 45,000 people at the last count, and essentially leveled the city of Port-au-Prince. About 3 million people, perhaps more, have lost what little they had in this disaster. This is probably the most horrible place on Earth to be right now.

Thoughts?
A little rectification :The erathquake has killed about 200000 peoples and i'm sure it's just the beginning ,the "real" problem is that Haiti is very unstable so it's probable that a civil conflict start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back