Guild Wars 2 on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yeah, with Guild Wars 2 right around the corner I'm pretty excited. I was a little put off at first because the first Guild Wars while being pretty good, was still another cookie cutter MMO. But after watching some gameplay and participating in the beta it's safe to say that I'm stoked. Any thoughts from the community?

If you're excited for Guild Wars 2 because you think it'll be any different from Guild Wars 1,

sorry to break it to you, but you're going to be very disappointed in your $60 purchase.

If you don't have a top of the line computer, you won't be able to run it at any reasonable framerate, because the game client is extremely poorly optimized. The client is a rather large 25+ Gigabytes, and it doesn't stream anymore like Guild Wars 1 did. The weapon skill system is just as broken as World of Warcraft's used to be, there will be no end-game, the leveling is pointless since everything scales you to the appropriate level, and most importantly the game shoves microtransactions down your throat like it's a necessity to enjoy the game. Remember those crates in TF2? They're in GW2 too. There's also experience and drop rate buffs at additional cost, and a metric crapload of useless cosmetic items.

WvWvW PvP is and will always be unbalanced if a larger number of people participate in one World against the other two. You will spend as much as 15 minutes finding any combat in the zone and when you do, it's whoever has the larger party that wins, regardless of the buffs placed on you to "even" out the battle.

You have to pay to switch worlds. You cannot have characters on different worlds. This means you have to tell all your friends to pay more real money just to play together if you start at different times and don't pick a world ahead of time. This is stupid.

You have to pay to get more than 4 character slots, just as in Guild Wars (though I don't necessarily mind this, you have no option to put the slot on another world to play with a friend).

There is a cohesive story, but every time you gain any progress in it you're forced to go out and do the "dumb fetch and kill quests" that everyone complains about these days. I don't necessarily mind those kinds of grinds but if I'm being rerouted to them to place an artificial barrier on progression, then that's a horrible hiccup in the story experience that just doesn't belong there. It feels incredibly jarring and frankly frustrating to have to teleport back and forth between the zone just to get anywhere in the story, and it's more just to inhibit progress than encourage it.

I really think ArenaNet is betting on marketing and false impressions to get people to spread the word, just like they did for the first game (FREE TO PLAY PLAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS NO SUBSCRIPTION FEES YADA) Guild Wars 1 was a remarkably mediocre Online RPG and GW2 is turning out to be no different.

EDIT: I'll note that this is all from impressions after playing for a good 6 or 7 hours during a beta weekend event. I played around 30 hours of Guild Wars and was never really impressed with it besides the story presentation. Your money is better off spent on an existing subscription-based MMO or a free-to-play game like League of Legends, Quake Live or Blacklight Retribution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back