Great game! However...

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, you guys have done an absolutley awesome job in taking sonic into the 3d-realm while keeping the game mechanics that made the 2d sonics great!

However, there seems to be a few issues with the controls which, if resolved, could make SRB2 even better.

The biggest issue is that spinning right now kind of sucks. Well, not kinda sucks, it really badly sucks, actually. Spining is currently unweildy and cumbersome, and doing short controlled spins is nigh impossible. Why not adopt a method more like classic sonic? Make 'spin' into 'crouch', and jump gets two commands: spin and jump (depending on whether you're crouching). In order to spin you need to be running, and you need to press crouch (and after unpressing crouch you get back up again). Or while standing still, pressing crouch and jump/spin at the same time will charge you up for a fast spin.

Ok, secoundly I feel that acceleration is way too high. In the original games it took a while to get sonic up to full speed, in SRB2 you seem to be able to get to full speed almost instantaniously. Again, this makes it harder to use fine control.

Lastly -and this is actually more of an AI problem/level design- but when you spring up to the top of a ledge there are often times enemies waiting for you at the top, and you have pretty much no choice but to run into them as you cannot spin when you are proppeled by a spring. To resolve you could either make it possible to activate a spin in midair (yeah I know, this wasn't in the original sonics, but I think it would be a gameplay improvement) or you could modify the ai to keep a certain distance away from ledges, or you could not place bad guys where they can travel to the ledge.

And thats about it. Thanks guys, I cannot begin to express how awesome this game is!

I can help with that third one...Use the strafe keyes (modify them in the controls section). Makes it easy to dodge enemies.

hurleybird said:
The biggest issue is that spinning right now kind of sucks. Well, not kinda sucks, it really badly sucks, actually. Spining is currently unweildy and cumbersome, and doing short controlled spins is nigh impossible. Why not adopt a method more like classic sonic? Make 'spin' into 'crouch', and jump gets two commands: spin and jump (depending on whether you're crouching). In order to spin you need to be running, and you need to press crouch (and after unpressing crouch you get back up again). Or while standing still, pressing crouch and jump/spin at the same time will charge you up for a fast spin.

...But classic sonic couldn't get up from a spin without jumping, couldn't he?

Ok, secoundly I feel that acceleration is way too high. In the original games it took a while to get sonic up to full speed, in SRB2 you seem to be able to get to full speed almost instantaniously. Again, this makes it harder to use fine control.

Yeah, it wouldn't be so high if the game was more 'curvy'. Get Super Sonic and play as him - he has a pretty low acceleration - it can be frustrating sometimes.

Lastly -and this is actually more of an AI problem/level design- but when you spring up to the top of a ledge there are often times enemies waiting for you at the top, and you have pretty much no choice but to run into them as you cannot spin when you are proppeled by a spring. To resolve you could either make it possible to activate a spin in midair (yeah I know, this wasn't in the original sonics, but I think it would be a gameplay improvement) or you could modify the ai to keep a certain distance away from ledges, or you could not place bad guys where they can travel to the ledge.

Are you talking about Castle Eggman Act 1? Yeah, that was one of Mystic's first levels and it stinks. :)

SSNTails said:
hurleybird said:

...But classic sonic couldn't get up from a spin without jumping, couldn't he?

Ack, right you are. I still beleive it would be an improvement to replace the spin button with crouch though, as it would make smaller controlled spins possible

SSNTails said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be so high if the game was more 'curvy'. Get Super Sonic and play as him - he has a pretty low acceleration - it can be frustrating sometimes.

Cool, in the final build will everyone have acceleration more like super sonic?

SSNTails said:

Are you talking about Castle Eggman Act 1? Yeah, that was one of Mystic's first levels and it stinks. :)

I was talking about Castle Eggman Act 1, although you do sometimes get the same thing happening in other levels. I dunno though, I really liked Castle Eggman, especially act 2... and the rain effect was wickedly awesome.

SSNTails said:

*notaces a brick flying through the air towards SSN*

ZTaimat said:
SSNTails said:

*notaces a brick flying through the air towards SSN*
It DOES suck. If anyone tells you otherwise they're an idiot.

hurleybird said:

No, It would really not work in a 3D game. It would be something good in 2D levels, though......

TOO HIGH!?!?!?! Damn, you gotta be kidding me! I think that SMS's acceleration is still too low! Aren't Sonic games about speed? The only reason why SA is speedy, is because they added a very handy and fast spindash! Using another way of getting speed won't work!

There's a strafe key. You can go sideways and avoid em with ease. But you're sorta right about this one, though.

And thats about it. Thanks guys, I cannot begin to express how awesome this game is!

Actually, the spinning is as it is in the classic games. Go play Sonic 2, start rolling, and you'll notice our physics are alarmingly similar in many ways. I do think it would be kinda neat to have it be "duck" instead of "spin", but honestly, all that would do is change the way the straight spindash works, forcing the player to hit two buttons instead of one.

I like spindashing the way it is right now. And there isn't really any reason to croutch in this game that I know of.

I really think that the spin dashing should stay the same. It might mess the game up for a while. I really don't know though...[/i]

Dark Mystic said:
I really think that the spin dashing should stay the same. It might mess the game up for a while. I really don't know though...[/i]

Well, not being able to do shorter controlled spins like in the original is a basic gameplay flaw that IMHO needs to be fixed.

hurleybird said:
Dark Mystic said:

Well, not being able to do shorter controlled spins like in the original is a basic gameplay flaw that IMHO needs to be fixed.
You can't really do shorter controlled spins in the original either. The reason you THINK you can is because in the original, there are a lot of ramps that lead up, and when you launch off the ramp and land you break out of the spin. If you wanted to break a spin without going into the air in the classic games, you had to jump. Same in SRB2, if you want to break the spin in SRB2, just jump into the air and start moving in the direction you'd like to go.

hurleybird said:

Tap the spin key, don't hold it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back