gl mode???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its openGL mode you're talking about? Its a mode where the sprites look horrible and it adds visual bugs as well. You shouldn't try it. There's 1 reason why you should try it once: Some objects have light effects.

OpenGL is a 3d accellerated mode, and it requires a decent video card.
You can configure the launcher to use it (it's easier this way), or you can do a bat file and pass the -opengl parameter to srb2win.
And SMS, OpenGL mode doesn't look ugly, it's great if you want anti-aliasing. It is a bit glitchy sometimes, but hasn't some visual artifacts that software mode has.

tails92 said:
OpenGL is a 3d accellerated mode, and it requires a decent video card.

OpenGL isn't necessarily 3D accelerated, and can fallback to software, but it is *AWFULLY* slow. It can only reach decent FPS on quite fast processors at low resolutions.

So, running at 35FPS (SRB2's maximum), in 1280x1024, with 16x Aniostropic filtering on an AMD-Sempron 2800+ at 1.6Ghz is impossible?

...I must be a god.

I managed 35FPS at 800x600 in bilinear filtering on a 64Mb hercules 3D prophet PCI graphics card on a 5 year old celeron, running at 633Mhz.

The CPU doesn't process the graphics in OpenGL, the grphics card does.

Did I mention that it runs at least twice as fast on all of my computers, even the one with the sucky onboard S3 pro-savage 32Mb chip? Still runs faster, even if that computer is on a Pentium 4.

Yeah, why is this topic in releases?

So to sum things up:

OpenGL uses hardware accelerated graphics, allowing for full 3D look and filtered textures, but comes with a few minor visual glitches.

Use Software Mode if your processor is fast, or if you don't have a 3D accelerator.

Use OpenGL Mode if you have a fast graphics card that supports DirectX 7 or higher.

You can enable OpenGL mode through the launcher or through the command line parameter -opengl.

And so you all know, OpenGL is NOT slower/less glitchy than software. Hell, I can't even get software to run more than 15 FPS, wheras OpenGL runs perfectly. And besides, OpenGL looks better on EVERYTHING.
As for running it, make a text file, and put in the following:
srb2win -OpenGL
Then rename it to OGL.bat (my preference of name), and move it to the same folder where SRB2 is. Open the batch, and it will launch SRB2 in OpenGL.

ree-c said:
So, running at 35FPS (SRB2's maximum), in 1280x1024, with 16x Aniostropic filtering on an AMD-Sempron 2800+ at 1.6Ghz is impossible?

I managed 35FPS at 800x600 in bilinear filtering on a 64Mb hercules 3D prophet PCI graphics card on a 5 year old celeron, running at 633Mhz.

The CPU doesn't process the graphics in OpenGL, the grphics card does.

Did I mention that it runs at least twice as fast on all of my computers, even the one with the sucky onboard S3 pro-savage 32Mb chip? Still runs faster, even if that computer is on a Pentium 4.

I have no crazy idea what you're talking about.

Look, let's face it. Software and OGL are even matches. I like the look of software better, some people like the look of OGL better. Your best option is to try them both and see which one you like. On some computers, Software runs faster, on others OGL runs faster, it's system dependent.

One more thing, why is this in Releases?

Draykon said:
Look, let's face it. Software and OGL are even matches. I like the look of software better, some people like the look of OGL better. Your best option is to try them both and see which one you like. On some computers, Software runs faster, on others OGL runs faster, it's system dependent.

You like the look of software because OpenGL doesn't run on your computer at all. -_-. I like the look of OpenGL better because it blurs the pixels, and I like it that way. It also runs levels with hundreds of sectors much faster, for example: BSZ. In Software, BSZ High End lags like I've gone to the devil's lair, whereas BSZ High End runs perfectly with NO lag at all on OpenGL.

Draykon said:
One more thing, why is this in Releases?

I'm gonna have to agree with you there.

Nearest drawing in OpenGL looks almost completely like software's drawing. Honestly, you can't *really* debate the issue of how it looks, because OpenGL has more than one drawing method.

Dark Warrior said:
Nearest drawing in OpenGL looks almost completely like software's drawing. Honestly, you can't *really* debate the issue of how it looks, because OpenGL has more than one drawing method.

I do not use Nearest because it looks like software. I tend to use Bilinear most of the time, but Trilinear when taking photos.

That's my point:
Nearest looks almost exactly like software. So if you hate the blurring effect, just switch the drawing method.

Also, OpenGL can draw larger levels than software. Where at a certain point Software makes HOM with an open sky, OpenGL draws it perfectly. Seriously, use OpenGL.

Dark Warrior said:
That's my point:
Nearest looks almost exactly like software. So if you hate the blurring effect, just switch the drawing method.

Also, OpenGL can draw larger levels than software. Where at a certain point Software makes HOM with an open sky, OpenGL draws it perfectly. Seriously, use OpenGL.

The HOM in Software is EXACTLY one of my reasons that I'm always using OpenGL. And with missing textures, The floor overlaps the missing texture in Software and results in HOM, but in OpenGL it just results in a friendly redwall. But since 1.09.4, OpenGL has been very buggy, with sky being in the far ends of the screen when moving around. That's probably Zennode's fault, but I'd like that fixed.

Ok, I have used OGL on my dad's computer, although it's a little neat, I still prefer Software. Here are the things I feel it's best to consider:

OGL has an option to disable pixel blurring.
On some graphics cards, flats are barely drawn
On some graphics cards OGL will draw things like crap.
Transparent FOFs don't always work in OGL
Sector borders mess up in OGL sometimes
OGL has support for MD2 models (All two of them)
OGL has coronas, a neat little visual effect.
OGL cannot proporly change palletes ingame.
Nodesbuilding errors are more visible in OGL
OGL can handles large sectors.
When viewed from above, OGL draws things totally flat, whereas Software shows them as if they were face first in the ground (Both look crappy)
OGL tiles skys, Software stretches them (This can look better or worse depending on the sky)
OGL puts redwall in missing texture spots, Software puts a HOM. (Though you're supposed to fix it either way)
In OGL, you can aim directly at the ground, and directly at the sky. (Someone wanna explain to me how this is usefull?)

I know, I probably forgot something, live with it.

And once again, on some computers Software runs faster, on some OGL runs faster.

FoxBlitzz said:
Use OpenGL Mode if you have a fast graphics card that supports DirectX 7 or higher.

Please note that DirectX and OpenGL are two different 3D APIs, just because a card has support for DirectX does not mean that it has good support for OpenGL

Same thing goes the other way around

But Logan, a card's support for advanced OpenGL can be measured by its support for DirectX. For example, Doom 3 requires a card that is 100% compatible with DirectX 9 (shaders and things) even though it uses OpenGL. Whenever people mention OpenGL, they never state what version number, so it's a bit hard to judge how demanding the graphics are.

But _EVERYONE_, this was posted in Releases by some n00b. You don't need to have some idiotic OpenGL versus Software debate.

Lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back