Games that everyone likes but you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoshi's Island DS. I rarely find people who disliked this game the way I did. Seriously, I feel like this game didn't even TRY to be better than the original. Granted, I do like some things in this game--the complex plot, juggling the different kinds of babies, some of the new gimmicks, the way it handles both screens, the Character Coins, the Zoo, and the ability to log high scores in the minigames.

Now we get into the ways in which this game is inferior.

To begin with, it's shorter--the original had six worlds, the GBA remake of the original had six worlds plus a new level for each world, and YIDS has the same number of levels per world as the GBA remake--but one less world. I mean, seriously? There's a lack of ambition. I would have liked this game significantly better if not for this.

For another thing, there are no super items, which were really cool in the original and the original's remake, added some variety to the bonus games, and also tempered off what would have otherwise been a teeth-grinding abundance of cheap ways to fail the level. Because Yoshi's Island DS lacks any super items, the game loses an extra element of strategy, gains an insane amount of difficulty for perfectionists (I NEVER managed to get a perfect score on some of the levels) and makes the bonus games blander (where's the excitement if all you can win are extra lives?).

In addition, while we're on the subject of difficulty, let's talk about the single biggest reason why this game sucked. Yoshi's Island DS had significantly more cheap dangers than the original, and it should be noted that the original itself was pushing it in this regard. I positively loathe the Tap-Tap enemies, both in the original and in YIDS...but in YIDS they get a lot more appearances. There's a whole level devoted to dodging them, for God's sake! Also, if you're a perfectionist (like me) you want to get 100 points on all the levels, and you'll find that in soem levels of this game, the difficulty in achieving that is completely ridiculous. In fact, there are some levels, such as A Light In The Dark, where the difficulty of simply completing it is totally ridiculous. That was probably the hardest video game levels I've ever played in my entire life...and it didn't even come close to being fun.

Basically, it feels like for every new innovation Yoshi's Island DS gets over the original, it takes out two other gimmicks I liked. And it should be noted that while the majority of the gimmicks in Yoshi's Island DS are "extras", the majority of the gimmicks that YIDS lacks from the original pertained directly to gameplay itself. This game actually had a couple interesting ideas for in-level puzzles and challenges, but it overdid them and refused to vary it up, unless you count adding more cheap dangers to the puzzles each time they have a new appearance.

Come on--Yoshi deserves better than this.

Last edited:
You sure this belongs in the topic, fawfulfan? You really aren't alone on that matter. My circle of Yoshi fans didn't really find YIDS all that impressive either. It was like Yoshi's Island, but with botched sound and without the fun or charm. It really did little to sell Yoshi as a character. Heck, the story hardly even focused on the Yoshis - rather, they focused all the attention on those stupid babies.

Really, I didn't bother to play much more than a couple worlds into the game.

You sure this belongs in the topic, fawfulfan? You really aren't alone on that matter. My circle of Yoshi fans didn't really find YIDS all that impressive either. It was like Yoshi's Island, but with botched sound and without the fun or charm. It really did little to sell Yoshi as a character. Heck, the story hardly even focused on the Yoshis - rather, they focused all the attention on those stupid babies.

Really, I didn't bother to play much more than a couple worlds into the game.
Well, I'm glad to see that you and your friends have some taste, but most people I've met who played this game liked it. Don't ask me why.

I also think the game is overrated.
The level design felt uninspired, the minigames were pretty lousy, and switching babies was tedious and usually obvious as to what you should do. The game as a whole was pretty easy, short, and the story was uninteresting. I honestly can't remember a single music track from that game.

The game as a whole was pretty easy
Are we talking about the same game here? For me, Yoshi's Island DS was ridiculously hard, with cheapness galore.

Maybe we're referring to different aspects of the game.

I honestly can't remember a single music track from that game.
That might be because all of the music tracks in the entire game were remixes of the same tired tune.

I'm referring to the game in general. Some levels were pretty cheap (I hated the Arrow Wheels) but the game in general was pretty easy for me.
I never noticed the musics being remixes. Now that you mention it, it just seems lazy.

I really dislike how useless most of the babies were at times. There's hardly ever a reason to use Bowser, and Wario's magnet was broken. If the game sticked with just Baby Mario and Baby Peach, it would be more interesting, in my opinion.
The bosses were disappointingly easy (especially the final ones). They didn't feel as creative as the ones in the original did.
The Museum was a pretty stupid and pointless feature.

One thing I did like about the game was the item collection and graphic style, but that's basically it.

Well, I didn't realize that the majority of people thought precisely the same things about Yoshi's Island DS as I did.

I guess this doesn't belong in this thread, then. But I'm nonetheless glad I got the chance to vent about this game and see people agree.

Battlefield 2: While most FPS games I say I don't like and I steer clear from, I've actually played Battlefield 2 on my brother's computer and after about five minutes I just got bored. I know its an excellent game with realistic weapons and good graphics and all, but it was just boring. I'm pretty sure that this would represent my impression on playing anything from CoD, MoH, or BF.

Assassin's Creed: From what I've heard there isn't that much of a difference between everyone else's opinions and my own... but its rather mainstream. Unfortunately it does not live up to my expectations. The open world is great and all but the sidequests don't change at all between cities. The story itself also feels a tad anvillicious. Its still fun once in a while, but I don't know if I'll be finishing it any time soon.

I also really don't like the combat in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. You do it all at once after all of the platforming challenges and it takes forever to get back to the actual Tomb-Raider-esque platforming and the time feature just makes it drag out even LONGER. I do love the platforming though... I need to make sure I finish it before the movie comes out.

Retro cross-post.

The Madden Games - "New cover, check; update stats, check; who wants cheesesteaks?!" I have no idea what would make someone pay $50 to play football 10 times ($500), when a football costs $9.99 and human friends cost jack.

FPSes that aren't Metroid Prime - They feel clunky in my hands, and are going the way of Madden anymore.

I'm going to have to say

Sonic Adventure

Sure this game is fun and I like it, but the story was weak, the graphics were call cartoon - like and the mood was not serious at all, especialy for sonic DX, I hated all of those glitches.

Sports games as a Series

Seriously, the only game I have that is a professional sport game is tiger woods 2006 for my game cube and a batch of mario sports titles. But really, why do people keep buying remakes of the same game every year for 50 dollars. If a new Klonoa game comes out, no one regular will pay for it, but if a new sports game comes out, people will be literally speeding to their local store and buy the new game and sell last years copy. Wasted money, if you ask me.

Kingom Hearts: Chain Of Memories

I think that all Kingom Hearts games should have stuck to just 1 and 2 because Chain Of Memories was an employee at Square Enix's idea of a game to simplify the plot of Kingdom Hearts II. Sure the game was fun in all, but I still thought it was a waste of time down grading a Game Boy Advance remake of Kingdom Hearts I with cards and emo people. No offense to emo people, by the way.

If I can get back on any others I will tell you.

Chain Of Memories was an employee at Square Enix's idea of a game to simplify the plot of Kingdom Hearts II
Actually, the creator of the Kingdom Hearts heard that people wanted a KH game on the gameboy. So that is why they made the game.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3: This game was fun at first, but then the levels just became too long and too confusing to really enjoy.

The New Super Mario Bros. Games: The gameplay in these games was pretty bland, first of all. I also didn't like the graphic style or the music.

Retro cross-post.

The Madden Games - "New cover, check; update stats, check; who wants cheesesteaks?!" I have no idea what would make someone pay $50 to play football 10 times ($500), when a football costs $9.99 and human friends cost jack.

FPSes that aren't Metroid Prime - They feel clunky in my hands, and are going the way of Madden anymore.

Pfft, Metroid Prime isn't a FPS.. more like a FPA(Adventure)
Just my nitpick. :<

Modern Warfare 2: The first day this game came out, all I heard was its epic, it beats all other games, and the mutiplayers awesome. I have rented and played the game, the singleplayer was fun, but the mutiplayer to me was just a bunch of campers(Boring), although special ops was fun.

1: First-person Shooters. I just think FPSs are too much of the same in my opinion, it's either an alien invasion, a zombie outbreak, a massive crime outbreak, or some other cliche' thing. If you ask me, some cartoony video game characters are cooler than realistic characters people, for example, Sonic uses his own body as a buzz-saw to destroy through robots and can run faster than the speed of sound without melting.

2: MMORPGs. I don't realy see how paying to play online with complete strangers is fun. Seems more like a waste of money to me.

3: Grand Theft Auto series. I don't know, the only thing I find fun about this game is driving off buildings with cars and using cars as fences to trap people in.

1: First-person Shooters. I just think FPSs are too much of the same in my opinion, it's either an alien invasion, a zombie outbreak, a massive crime outbreak, or some other cliche' thing. If you ask me, some cartoony video game characters are cooler than realistic characters people, for example, Sonic uses his own body as a buzz-saw to destroy through robots and can run faster than the speed of sound without melting.

Somebody hasn't played enough FPS games.

Any typical 3D Zelda title. Get stuck on any part and you can't move forward.

Which is different from something like Paper Mario or Chrono Trigger. The difficult portions of RPGs are where you have to get through by battling a specific monster or something, but there's multiple solutions, such as choosing a character with a specific advantage, equipping a certain tool or badge.... On the other hand, Zelda's challenge is a linear path of puzzles with only one solution, and if you don't know where to go, or what to do at a certain place, you can't really do anything. I'll get stuck at a certain part, then I'll get bored, because the only interest I had at that point was moving forward. It feels excessively linear in spite of the fairly sandbox nature of the games.

To date, the only Zelda title I've completed is Oracle of Ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back