Fly on Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not see how all the games are similar.
The only games I can recall that were similar were hard versions of the same minigame. But thats acceptable.

30 new stars... what do you want? 100?

Well, it wasn't as much the number as it was how uninspired it was. Super Mario 64 DS's new content was all incredibly uninteresting and generally dull. Basically all the new levels were tiny and boring, and the new stars added to the original levels were all uninteresting. Then they added 3 new characters which didn't add anything to the game, and called it a day.

If they'd added 30 stars by say, adding 4 new, inspired and interesting 7-star courses, I'd have loved it. Instead they just packaged a bunch of lazy new level design with some uninspired crap.

I still prefer to play the original over the remake, 100%.

The new levels were the ones where you unlock characters...right?
But it IS still content. Would you rather have a game with worse graphics, less replay-ability, less characters? Or would you pick up a game with all of these. For the same price?

Oh, about the characters. Adding in Wario and etc was probably just for the fans. Some fans just love to cuddle yoshi or Wario.

I would rather play a game with less content where all the content is of the quality of the original Super Mario 64 than a game where four fifths of the content is awesome and one fifth of it is crap, like the remake.

More content doesn't make a better game. More GOOD content makes a better game. Super Mario 64 DS did not include new good content. It's painfully clear when playing it what parts were the original game and what parts weren't, just because the original content was awesome and the new content sucked.

I never played the original so I can't tell if its new or not.
Party games are addicting, once you beat your game. This is the thing to do.

The only level I felt was crap was that water level with switches, and that pipe level. All the others were fun. The graphics are safer to your eyes, you can play as your favorite character....

Seriously? You prefer the old one since it has those levels out? Even though you DONT have to play them? You would rather not make your game portable?
It suits you, I guess....

Well, there are a couple other things that make the original preferable, number 1 on that list is obviously the control scheme. This one isn't something I fault Nintendo for, since the DS doesn't have an analog stick so they can't exactly fix this, but the original game was very strongly built around the N64 controller. The analog stick made control perfect (and I'll note they actually made several areas easier in the remake because the controls were worse) and the concept of the C-buttons was basically made for Super Mario 64 to give you buttons to control the camera directly.

They couldn't really reproduce the controls of the original on the DS, so this isn't something that is wrong with the remake, per say, but it hurts a lot.

Also, most of the new content is sadly required. By splitting up the characters you're forced to do the new stages to unlock characters, and you have to switch between characters arbitrarily to switch powerup access, something you didn't have to do at all in the original.

When playing the original I don't have to worry about unlocking things or doing specific tasks to get to different areas, I can just go in as the red plumber and explore the world. The remake just ruins this for me.

Nintendo generally has a great record with their remakes and ports, but Super Mario 64 just missed that boat for some reason. Hopefully next time they port it they'll do it right.

Let me bring up the thing about characters...
Would you like to play Brawl with all characters at the start?
Would you like all achievements unlocked when you play a game?

The controls - I hated the touch screen scheme. Though, the one where you use L + R to contorl camera, arrows to move, etc. That was a really good option and I had no problem. Also SM64DS was like, their first DS game? Right? So, it is pretty impressive for a game released when the DS was.

Autosaver, you aren't getting the point he's trying to make.
Super Mario 64 is one of the the highest rated games ever. It was on the Nintendo 64, and it was miles better than the DS version. Don't you see how flawed the DS version is?
And before you say it, no one gives a crap about the characters. They're gimmicky, making levels fetch quests for hats. The hat idea ruins the idea of the game.
No one gives a damn about the graphics. Super Mario 64 is a decade old and it is the first Nintendo 64 game. You know what? It had pretty damn good graphics for it's time, and it stills impresses. The DS version doesn't improve on them at all, really. (Yes Autosaver, it is a launch title for the DS, but that doesn't excuse it for being a bad game)
The controls in the DS one suck, mainly due to the lack of analog. I loved how the original version's controls nicely fitted the system, but the DS one is hard to use.

The controls - I hated the touch screen scheme. Though, the one where you use L + R to contorl camera, arrows to move, etc. That was a really good option and I had no problem. Also SM64DS was like, their first DS game? Right? So, it is pretty impressive for a game released when the DS was.
Yes, that control scheme worked, but the control scheme in the original used an analog stick. Actually, it was the game that defined why an analog stick was better than a D-Pad for 3D movement. When you look at 3D games made before SM64 and games made after it, there is a clear line as everyone tried to copy SM64's usage of the analog stick because it worked so well. Playing Super Mario 64 with a D-Pad feels like playing SRB2 with just the keyboard. Sure, you can DO it, but when the alternatives are so much better why would you?

I really encourage you to try the original so you can see how much better it is. You'll find all the boring and uninteresting content is gone and all that's left is you as Mario versus the most unbelievable 3D world 1996 could provide.

I heard somewhere that you are supposed to use a thumb-something for the movement. Same with Metroid. The thumb thing only comes with ds phat so I never see one or try it. The camera on the ds need work though. You all need to stop fighting bcuase everybody have different opinions and favorite character. Go weegee

The thumb thing only comes with ds phat so I never see one or try it.
You're not missing anything. There's a reason they stopped making it. It was basically unusable.

The camera on the ds need work though.
The camera in Super Mario 64 was never particularly good. Hell, it was the game that introduced us to the word "camera" by making it a physical object in game that a Lakitu held. Back then just being able to control it at all was a godsend. They didn't improve it for the remake.

And before you say it, no one gives a crap about the characters. They're gimmicky, making levels fetch quests for hats. The hat idea ruins the idea of the game.
Are you serious? Also, you don't have to fetch hats...

No one gives a damn about the graphics.
Oh god, SERIOUSLY? EVERYONE I see (internet/school) talk about graphics nearly every minute.

The DS version doesn't improve on them at all
This statement is flawed. "Nothing has improved" Wait, you said the same thing about SSBM and SSBB.. -_-

The controls in the DS one suck, mainly due to the lack of analog. I loved how the original version's controls nicely fitted the system, but the DS one is hard to use.
I hated the N64 controller, it was different then the other consoles. Making it feel quite awkward.

All I am saying is that you don't NEED to play all the new content. Its a bonus, some people like it, some don't. Analog is a good point, but the N64 controller is pretty hard to handle if you have small hands.

Minigames pretty much sold the game for me. The multiplayer helped it out too. Also, I would love to buy an adventure that's portable.

Is the N64 portable? No, so that's one of the biggys.

Are you serious? Also, you don't have to fetch hats...
Yes, you do. Yoshi, as fun as he is, needs hats all the time.

Oh god, SERIOUSLY? EVERYONE I see (internet/school) talk about graphics nearly every minute.
Autosaver, you don't get the point. You can't say, "this version has better graphics!!!" because you are comparing two drastically different systems. In the Nintendo 64 standards, it rocks, in the DS standards, it's crap.

This statement is flawed. "Nothing has improved" Wait, you said the same thing about SSBM and SSBB.. -_-
Because nothing did. The only things added were boring fetch quests. If there were seven new worlds, however, I'd actually care about the DS version.
I hated the N64 controller, it was different then the other consoles. Making it feel quite awkward.
The game feels far better as an analog game.

All I am saying is that you don't NEED to play all the new content. Its a bonus, some people like it, some don't. Analog is a good point, but the N64 controller is pretty hard to handle if you have small hands.
No, you can't. You can't avoid fetch quests with hats. And that's a bad excuse anyways, Autosaver.

Minigames pretty much sold the game for me. The multiplayer helped it out too. Also, I would love to buy an adventure that's portable.

Is the N64 portable? No, so that's one of the biggys.
Being on a handheld game, all the levels feel smaller than they originally did.

Autosaver, if you haven't played the game at all, why the hell are you in this arguement?

The DS in the graphics standard do rock. Heck, that is probably one of the most graphically enhanced games.

Because nothing did. The only things added were boring fetch quests. If there were seven new worlds, however, I'd actually care about the DS version
If you call added minigames, quests, multiplayer nothing then I agree. :)

The game feels far better as an analog game.
Yes it does, but mainly on the PS2. :D

Bad excuse for small hands? So you are saying if you are small then it is too bad for you? Ok...

No, you can't. You can't avoid fetch quests with hats. And that's a bad excuse anyways, Autosaver.
Sorry, I don't really understand the second sentence. Sorry!

Autosaver, if you haven't played the game at all, why the hell are you in this arguement?

Being at Giant Eagle's eagle nest, they had a N64 with this game.

In my experience, most of the people who complained about the N64 controller simply did not understand how the controller was supposed to be held.

You're supposed to ignore the D-Pad and L button third of the controller while playing SM64. If you do that the controller is exceptionally comfortable and I had no problems using it back in 1996 when I was smaller than I am now.

Several games, Super Mario 64 included, really were built around that controller, which is why it hurts to play it with a control scheme the game wasn't designed for.

There you go. That's your problem. The N64 controller has three handles, and you're supposed to only hold the two you're actually using. You put your left hand on the analog stick handle and your pointer finger will rest on Z like it's a gun trigger, and then you put your right hand on the right handle to press the buttons. The D-Pad and the L button aren't used at all by SM64.

There are some other games that actually use the D-Pad, but they don't use the analog stick. You're not supposed to try to press every button at once. That would be basically impossible unless you have hands that are a lot bigger than mine.

Heh, I can think of a minigame (Ekans' Hoop Hurl) from Pokémon Stadium that uses the D-pad and Analog stick, but not the A and B buttons. It really is an interesting controller.

Still, though, the control scheme in SM64DS is annoying at first, but it is something you can get used to. I have found the ability to move slowly by simply not holding Y to be useful.

It annoys me when people call an update inferior to the original version just because it "doesn't have the charm:.
I think the DS version is better because of the four characters.

I never said the DS one was inferior, nor did I say it didn't have the charm. I just personally prefer the N64 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back