• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

fickle hearts and other parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you using OpenGL? Slopes are Software-only.

Mystic I love your memes

Slopes don't render in OpenGL because I have a policy of not touching that renderer (it's somehow even more disorganized than the sotware renderer!), and nobody else has added them to it yet. (Sryder did a bit of porting of CB's code, but he never finished it.) You're welcome to do them yourself if you want.

Last edited:
I didn't make those. That was Nev3r doing some fancy wizardry that I believe involved an invisible object as the hitbox.

CarefulFancyCapybara.gif

Finally adding vertex slopes + dynamic slopes = shenanigans

So how many slopes does it take to start to lag the game out at the moment? Is it like normal stage geometry where giant stages are the only real reason it lags out or do slopes cause their own lag?

Slopes are a bit heavier on the software renderer than normal floors, and shoving one right up against the camera tends to drop the framerate down about 5-10FPS (on my toaster laptop, with a build setup that ruins the game's performance for some reason), but overall I think it'd take a fairly huge room to cause performance issues from slopes alone. I've built test rooms with something like ~50 slopes in them that don't lag noticeably.

They're slopes. Not polyobjects. They'll behave fine. You'll get some funky layering/disappearing issues if you try to make planes intersect outside of sector boundaries, but otherwise there shouldn't be issues.

they aren't polyobjcts yes, I recognize that. But they are new and I haven't experienced them yet.

Polyobject slopes won't be a thing. I don't wanna deal with that can of worms. You can use midtexture tricks to do things like rounded-off doors if you want.

Alternately, you could make the door a stationary part of map geometry, and make everything around it a polyobject that rotates to give the impression that the door is the thing that's rotating! That wouldn't be incredibly stupid at all.

And blindly swear allegiance, let your country control your mind

We should take the entire world and push it somewhere else!

Reminds me of that one bug that was showcased at one of the GDQs in a doom-like game where the level geometry basically fucked itself if you did something.

Man I really wish I remember exactly what it was. Moving the level around would be kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back