Favorite Overlooked Video-Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzzo

It's Mr. Computer!
In video-game history, there have been games that have stolen the spotlight, and are hailed as video-game masterpieces. Other games have been ignored yet they are still great games. What are your favorite overlooked games? Only post overlooked games. I don't want someone posting Sonic 2 in here.

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
Released on the Genesis/SNES

8031110413210.jpg

Namco is known for their crazy, unique game design, and for their smash hits like Pac-Man and Katamari Damacy. But Pac-Man's sequal games haven't been real popular. Why not? I haven't a clue.

Pac-Man 2 is very different from the standard Pac-Man games. Instead of moving around a maze, it's a side-scrolling affair, where Pac-Man moves on his own, and you have to control him indirectly with your cursor. You can sling pebbles at objects to knock them around or to tell Pac-Man to do something. You can also hold C (Genesis) or Y (SNES) and press a direction to tell Pac-Man to Look that way, often used to make him turn around.

The ghosts make an appearance in this game too, quite obviously. They can show up from nowhere, or bust out of a trash-can or other object upon hitting it with your slingshot. When the ghosts are terrorizing Pac-Man, you have to sling a Power Pellet at him. He'll eat it, and become Super Pac-Man for a limited time, during which he flies mindlessly back and forth within the area, eating any ghosts he sees. Sometimes the ghosts drop important items, so you'll want to be sure you get all of them.

A large portion of this game has to do with Pac-Man's emotions. There are events that make him happy, tired, angry, scared, or mischievous, which affect what he'll do when he comes up to certain objects. Often times an obstacle will kill Pac-Man, and you'll have to start the area again (your lives are infinite). To overcome these obstacles, you will often have to intervene by hitting it with your slingshot or telling Pac-Man to look a certain way. Sometimes you need a certain emotion to pass by an obstacle. For example, he won't want to go down a hole if he's scared.

This game also has a few fun mini-games, such as the hang-gliding. It's a tad short with only four parts to the game, but it's very interesting to play.

Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Released on the N64

rocket5.jpg

At first glance, this game looks like a standard Mario 64-esque game, where you have to collect items to open up more levels. What actually makes this game unique is that it has a fully-featured, powerful physics system. And this physics system isn't just applied to a few objects, no. It's applied to the entire game! All the objects, including the crates, vehicles, doors, vines, enemies, and even the player, use the physics system.

In this game, you are a robot in a galactic amusement park, who has been left to keep watch on it while the creator of the park has gone off to a party celebrating its grand opening the next day. Unfortunately, Jojo the Raccoon has gotten fed up with Whoopie the Walrus, the main mascot stealing all the fame, and escapes from his cage, going on a rampage and destroying the park in an attempt to make it his own...

The park is made up of several different areas, each with their own theme. For example, there's a paint world, where you can drive a tank with a paint cannon, and use it to paint various objects, from the sheep to the walls to the statues. And there's the mine world, where you have to pick up bombs and throw them at rock walls to clear them. And who could forget Clowney Island, where you can build and ride your own roller-coaster?

The game has a few ups and downs, such as the music not being too great, but it's definitely worth the look.

Dr. Brain: Action Reaction was pretty good. Now, I don't know why, for the life of me, the old gray-haired Dr. Brain of Sierra fame became a young red-haired hot-shot in games by Knowledge Adventure, but I can excuse that because this game is actually pretty damn good. It uses the first iteration of UnrealEngine, so you can guess around where the graphics quality is... It did a pretty good job with it, though.

Anyway, the game is, in effect, a first-person puzzler. I mean, sure, you've got a gun and there are guards to shoot, but you can only stun them, and you only get the one weapon. As of such, emphasis is less on combat, and instead figuring out what the heck you're supposed to do to get out of a level. There are plenty of puzzles: things like pipes that drop and corral colored balls (you have to alter the path of the ball to get to the correct bin - harder than it sounds, since these pipe mazes are HUGE), or navigating droids into specific places while keeping others out of those areas, or heck, just getting from Point A to Point B, usually with platforming and guards abound. Plus, I believe you can skip a level, if it's too hard for you, or you're being intimidated by the unkillable (but, as I said, stunnable) hulking guards who always seem to know where you are once they've spotted you in the first place.

Other than that... I dunno, Trackmania's good. Earthworm Jim 3D for the PC and N64 is okay, but those boss fights suck. Glover for the PC, N64 and PS1 was pretty inventive, but the game's really, really hard (a lot of design flaws, methinks - did you know that bowling balls are completely shattered if you lightly place them on spikes? Yeah, me neither). Half-Life isn't obscure in the slightest bit...

Ooh, here's one. Star Wars Droidworks. It's an edutainment title, more or less, but beyond that, you get to make robots and control them to solve various fun little puzzles. I tend to skip the Physics lessons and solve the game instead. I haven't done much with the main missions - the ones where you actually have enemy droids actively killing you - but the training missions seem to be the majority of the game anyway, and do a very respectible job of remaining fun, even if your droid runs on treads and therefore can't jump.

Back to obscure... I own Psychonauts, but I've yet to play it. Rolo to the Rescue was a fun little Genesis game... hard as hell, though. Clockwork Knight for the Saturn wasn't too great, but Clockwork Knight 2 was. Et cetera, et cetera...

Super Off Road - The Baja for SNES was a really good racing game for it's time. Then there's my jap favs such as Super Uno, Bomberman B-daman and Kirby no Kirakira Kids, all for SNES. And finally, I feel Dr. Mario & Puzzle League for the GBA was quite overlooked, I loved Puzzle League's options. :D

I can think up of a few:

-Mario Party 2 (N64)
-Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
-Mario Paint (SNES)
-Tetris Attack (SNES)
-Kirby Air Ride (GCN)
-Wario Ware (GCN)
-Worms Armageddon (PC)
*Plays Mario Paint*
:mrgreen:

I wouldn't say Wario Ware, Mario Paint, or DK64 are overlooked, either. But whatever. X_X

Well, from where I come from, they are.
"What? You like MARIO PAINT? lololol you sux nintendo sux Counterstrike and Halo rox lol"

Spazzo said:
I can think up of a few:

-Mario Party 2 (N64)
-Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
-Mario Paint (SNES)
-Tetris Attack (SNES)
-Kirby Air Ride (GCN)
-Wario Ware (GCN)
-Worms Armageddon (PC)
*Plays Mario Paint*
:mrgreen:

I don't think any of those aside from maybe Mario Paint and Wario Ware (If it's for the GCN) were overlooked. In fact, most of those are extremely popular. Quite the opposite of overlooked...

Personally, I think Kirby Air Ride is the most boring piece of junk that has ever touched me or my Gamecube. I'm not sure how many people(if any) are behind me on this, though.

Bust a Groove, Jet Force Gemani, and Bubsy. The first two Bubsy games were good, IMO.

Bubsy? Oh man. Talk about a blast from the goddamned past D:

I think I still have my copy of Bubsy 2 for the Genesis around here somewhere... Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back