doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to get a WAD file that has dynamic lighting definitions or RGBA8 format textures. I think there's a lighting definition file for Doom 1 that can be obtained on GZDoom's homepage.

either way i like my legacy, it was the first i'd heard of. 2 more questions.
does gzdoom and doomsday have bots? if not *loads legacy*
why do they say legacy is the premier sourceport?

Legacy doesn't even support Voodoo dolls, for crying out loud, which make MAP30 of TNT Evilution (One of the Final Doom IWADs) unplayable.

why is it unplayable? (funny, i beat tnt yesterday)
edit: oh i get ya, i just kill myself with a rocket launcher. btw, if you don't do that the lava will kill you if you wait.

One of the early Plutonia maps also requires a voodoo dool to give player weapons (It's 7 or 8, I can't remember off the top of my head ATM)

ah well.
the main thing i like about legacy is the bots. i don't play online games and have no-one to play with at home so i only play with bots... and love it! also i barely use wads so i don't really care about some of this stuff. besides, ported versions of doom don't use a different source port or have wads. unchanged, i think doom looks amazing. smoothening and lighting looks outstanding. 3d models look too much like quake :(. but overall i don't care, so long as my worst computer can run it and i can play with bots. *loads legacy*

thanks for all the advise, but i still like legacy the best. then again this thread was supposed to be on doom not the engines :evil:. dear me.

and:
why do they say legacy is the premier sourceport?
does it mean the first, the #1 or what?
and ssn, why did you make srb with legacy if your willing to tell?

Probably because SRB2 has been in production for a long time, and Legacy was a good port to choose back then. Of course, that's not exactly true today.

Legacy had a chasecamera, was coded in C, and wasn't a big C++ rewrite mess like ZDoom is. It also has (had?) the best network play capability of any port.

SRB2 actually started out in TeamTNT's BOOM for a very short time in 1998.

"Why don't you move it to ZDoom/GZDoom/DOSDoom/JDoom, etc. etc?"

Because you can't just 'move' SRB2 to another port. It's so totally different from Doom you just can't do a plug and play deal. Look at JTE's failed attempt to move SRB2 to ZDoom - you have to rewrite the entire game to do something like that. To move to another source port, it would be as much work as if I just wanted to code SRB2 using The Wizard Needs Food, Badly.

When making a game, if you expect to achieve progress, you have to set goals, choose the stuff you're going to go with, and stick with it. Otherwise you end up with something like Sonic: Project Mettrix (no offense to Stealth), that ends up with new rewritten engines all the time but nothing new in terms of game content.

ok, something's changed my mind. Skulltag!!! it has the best features ever (not including graphics enhancements). it's simply amazing. new weapons, game modes. i played my first (working) online game of doom today and it was awsome!!! now legacy's in a sub-directory :mrgreen:. one thing i noticed is skulltag (made from zdoom) has no splitscreen :eek:. btw on zdoom just how do you use multiplayer anyway?
in 5 days this topic went down to 2nd to the bottom of of the list :eek: unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back