Dial-up FTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemini Spark

The EX version
I am still trying to get SRB2 on this computer after I had to return the rental I was using for college. As of this point I have 61% downloaded after three tries... I'm not going to give up though. Each attempt takes the stuff already downloaded and just contributes that towards the download time. So after a few more tries I should get it completely downloaded.

Is this really necessary for dial-up, though? SonicMaster tells me that dial-up will severely lag other servers when I join them, so that's a pain.

Oh yeah, who else uses dial-up and has slow connections?

I couldn't even dowload Srb2 when I had dial-up, it would have taken more than five days!

I seriously would not consider using dial-up for a netgame.

I downloaded it one time on dial-up. Four hours. And I've hosted 4-player netgames with it before.

Of course, I have broadband (or some variant thereof) now.

I had AOL, and it was torture. I couldn't even log onto this forum, hence why I had to wait a long time before being able to post at all. All I could do was lurk. :(

You can play SRB2 online with good dialup with a small group of people, like 2-4, without TOO much lag. However, the instant you go beyond that the lag will become unbearable. However, if you have crappy dialup like AOL, you're pretty much screwed. I'd stick to the 1 player completely if that's the case. If you have friends who might be interested, you could always try getting a LAN game going as well.

Well, I use Juno, and it manages. I think it had 3-5 players w/o lag at one time. I think beyond that I may be in a little trouble. It took me a few tries to download it, but I got it, and I can host netgames now.

My problem is that when I join other netgames, I might be lagging the server. I can't wait when the family can get something a little better.

Right now, I'm just stuck with it.

Gemini Spark said:
Well, I use Juno, and it manages. I think it had 3-5 players w/o lag at one time. I think beyond that I may be in a little trouble. It took me a few tries to download it, but I got it, and I can host netgames now.

My problem is that when I join other netgames, I might be lagging the server. I can't wait when the family can get something a little better.

Right now, I'm just stuck with it.
Are you in the united states? if you are i recommend AT&T's DSL. i have the slowest plan and I get a nice connection speed, Click here to go to the price guide

You DO realize, zeldagamer, that there are still many places in the country where there simply isn't any broadband access at all, right?

A friend of mine used to have a 36k connection before his modem blown up the last year :P (yes, it literally blown up). And I wouldn't have internet in my house right now if it wasn't because a central got installed in my town and they were offering it here for a really cheap price (and defeinitely maximum speed considering we're right next to them).

Mystic said:
You DO realize, zeldagamer, that there are still many places in the country where there simply isn't any broadband access at all, right?
Yes, and sadly my cousin has no broadband/dsl access at all, but he just got some mega fast (and very expensive) satellite internet.
Anyway, I posted the link so if he has access to broadband/dsl he can see if its a good choice.

I has cable broadband provided by a company around here called Telstra Bigpond, but Australia's internet is kinda slow. Mainly because of the horrible pings I get with most servers across the sea.

I'm mainly in the same boat as I'll Begin, but I live across the ditch (New Zealand), I have an 1.5Mbps ADSL connection provided by Telecom New Zealand.

I have Xtra. I think...

If you're wondering it's a New Zealand provider. What? GCFreak is a New Zealander too? Never thought I'd see another one on the internet.

Triangle Trumper said:
I have Xtra. I think...

If you're wondering it's a New Zealand provider. What? GCFreak is a New Zealander too? Never thought I'd see another one on the internet.

Nice =P Where abouts do you live? Nice and cosy in Wellington =)

Xtra = Telecom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back