Customizing your SRB2 Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Srb2 gives me an error saying it can't find srb2.srb and that it "expected" it to be in my WADs folder, where it isnt. O_o

I added -file "%1" EXACTLY like that. What am I doing wrong?
Well, is your wad in the same folder as the rest of your SRB2 stuff? If not, it should be.

Oh... that sucks, my main srb2 folder is extremley cluttered as it is. D=

EDIT: I guess Ill just start cleanin'.

Since it was bugging me how I couldn't launch files from anywhere other than the root folder of SRB2, I decided to teach myself just enough of the Windows command line syntax to make a little batch script that fixed it. You're free to use it if you want:

Code:
start "" /d "%~dp0" /b "%~dp0srb2win.exe" -file %*
Basically just open up Notepad, paste that and save it as a *.bat file. Remember to pick "All Files" from the drop-down menu, otherwise it'll save as *.bat.txt, which isn't what we want.

Stick the file in the same folder as srb2win.exe. You can now launch any number of files at once simply by selecting them all and dropping them on the batch file.

To register a file association so you can just right/double-click on the wad file, just follow the steps in the guide, replacing srb2win.exe with whatever you named the batch file, taking care to omit the "-file" parameter as well. So you would have "C:\SRB2\loadfile.bat" "%1" or something alike.

Now, you ask, can you select a bunch of wad files, right click and open them all at once? I'm afraid not. I tried to come up with a solution for this, but I honestly think it transcends me. It's a part of how Windows handles file actions: it just calls the same program over and over. Which can't really be fixed because the -file parameter is only evaluated at start-up, so even if SRB2 were smart enough not to open up multiple clients, it still wouldn't be able to do a thing about the passed arguments.

I also went and fetched some old icons to deck my folder with. These are the icons used for SRB2 itself, as well as the now defunct netgame launcher. Enjoy.

EDIT: Duh, I didn't notice the first icon was back in 2.0. I thought it still used the ugly broken icon (which srb2update uses) introduced some time during the 1.09 period. I guess you don't need it, then.

EDIT EDIT: Actually, it's different... it's bigger, but it's probably just upscaled... whatever.

Last edited:
Wait hold on a second. So, which file is a soc. file? What is it called?

It has the file extension ".soc". They are usually put in the MAINCFG lump, from what I know.

NO CONTENT IN THIS POST HOORAH

Is there a way to add 2 files at the same time?

EX: I highlight 2 wads, and it gets a error. SETCOOPORTIVE or something like that error.

Make a batch file in the srb2 folder with the following code:
start srb2win.exe -config "INSERT YOUR NEW CONFIG NAME HERE"

Then make a config with the name you inserted into the batch as it's name. Type this code:
addfile "INSERT YOUR WAD/SOC NAME HERE"
addfile "INSERT YOUR WAD/SOC NAME HERE"

... (continous if wanted more)

------------------------------------

Yeah, thats all I came up with, besides, it's 3:38AM here...

These are the icons used for SRB2 itself, as well as the now defunct netgame launcher.

...waitwhat

I can use the net launcher just fine. It works perfectly, sans the outdated color select in the multiplayer tab and OpenGL of course not working with the normal build.

Is the launcher supplied with the game?

Is the launcher avaliable to download from the main site?

Is the launcher updated to the standards of the new version?

Honestly, why do I bother.

Is the launcher supplied with the game?

No, but neither is the updater.

Is the launcher avaliable to download from the main site?

Is the launcher updated to the standards of the new version?

Honestly, why do I bother.

Defunct: no longer living, existing, or functioning

It technically doesn't "Live", but it DOES exist and it DOES function, and I fail to see how the above make it defunct.

Awww... I was going to create a topic with info like this... But oh well, no problem.
Although, I do have some suggestions. For instance: playing a wad file using the context menu requires the wad file to be placed in SRB2's directory (unless somebody already pointed/fixed that some posts ago). The way I have my context menu, that is unnecessary. It's a bit of a complicated setup, so I'll explain shortly, and will add further detail if you guys want.

Essentially, I created a batch file that copies the file passed as a parameter into SRB2's directory, named wad.wad (for simplicity's sake). Then, the batch file runs the game with wad.wad. Once the game finishes, the wad is deleted. The context menu receives the wad you right-clicked as a parameter and passes it to the batch file. I also have another one for soc files (that need to work differently). Additionally, I also added a neat function to ask the player if (s)he wants to start at a specific map.

WHAT. Who wants a WAD to be deleted after playing with it? Spartans?

Espyo said:
Essentially, I created a batch file that copies the file passed as a parameter into SRB2's directory, named wad.wad (for simplicity's sake). Then, the batch file runs the game with wad.wad. Once the game finishes, the wad is deleted.

Maybe read the entire thing before jumping to conclusions.

Fgs. I found a bug where there's an "srb2win" file in the folder with the relevant wad. It attempts to run that instead.

I've fixed it, so update your file if you're even using it.

When in doubt, right click everything.

Right click and properties, customization, and you pretty much do the rest from what FF said.

Problem there: My Srb2 folder is my Desktop. It doesn't give me properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back