Custom texture issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

igor the mii

Level Header Broke for me.
i just made a custom texture and this is what looks on SRB2. :
just_a_failed_sonic_robo_blast_2_texture_test__by_nessxpaulafan1234-d6u88ec.png

there is any way to fix that and show the entire texture? (so the rest becomes used)

firstly, I can't see the picture.
secondly, the problem could be that you are using a texture that is over 255x255 in canvas size, which will not be a problem in 2.1, but in 2.0, you must use a texture of a canvas size of 255x255 or less.
Thirdly, you posted in the wrong section, the section you are looking for is editing help.

secondly, the problem could be that you are using a texture that is over 255x255 in canvas size, which will not be a problem in 2.1, but in 2.0, you must use a texture of a canvas size of 255x255 or less.
Wrong, actually. Patches must be within that size (not sure about width but whatever), but textures can actually be whatever size, with one condition: the width must be a power of two (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc). (In vanilla Doom, height was also limited to 128 pixels tall, but that's a non-issue in SRB2.)

What I guess I'm seeing here is that you put a patch in but didn't set up the dimensions of the texture that's using it correctly. That, or perhaps you replaced a patch in an existing texture without any consideration for how it'd end up looking. As a result, your patch is too big for the texture definition, and parts of the patch are getting cut off. The solution would be to modify the texture definition to be a power-of-two wide, as well as the correct height - if you go higher than 255, divide the texture up into multiple patches, ideally 128 pixels tall. Also, if you replaced an existing texture... don't. Add a new definition to the end of TEXTURE1 and work from there.

For some reason in the picture the texture your trying to make look's like a FOF sector. Usually FOF sectors make this kind of error's. But I'm wondering if it actually is a FOF? or is it some sort of random sector? We need more information then the picture we need the wad itself. It can be anything like a control sector texture error or it can be Texture1 (or Texture2) or it can be the picture itself, which I doubt. Most of the time FOF need the X and Y alignment in order for the textures to look aligned, which has to be done manually.

And I have a question for you are you using Slade or XWE? Because that might mess up the coding of the patch names (PNAMES). I use XWE and my textures come out aligned so that might be the problem.

Last edited:
For some reason in the picture the texture your trying to make look's like a FOF sector. Usually FOF sectors make this kind of error's. But I'm wondering if it actually is a FOF? or is it some sort of random sector? We need more information then the picture we need the wad itself. It can be anything like a control sector texture error or it can be Texture1 (or Texture2) or it can be the picture itself, which I doubt. Most of the time FOF need the X and Y alignment in order for the textures to look aligned, which has to be done manually.

And I have a question for you are you using Slade or XWE? Because that might mess up the coding of the patch names (PNAMES). I use XWE and my textures come out aligned so that might be the problem.

here is,
i uploaded the wad to mediafire (the problem is still there)
http://www.mediafire.com/?npzi72qh9ck0wrs

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

i use SLADE.
i get out of INDEX error with XWE

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

firstly, I can't see the picture.
Thirdly, you posted in the wrong section, the section you are looking for is editing help.

And for god's sake.
this is the picture with the cropping problem

Boomer_and_Rolling_Bubbles_by_BiPinkBunny.png

You know you can always shrink the picture if anything.

i did so and it didnt work. berfore you talked (two hours ago)

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

You know you can always shrink the picture if anything.

and before i forget.

the map has few graphic problems. you should download the wad and see it.

Well everytime I try to add your wad it says
>addfile skylandlevel.wad
skylandlevel.wad wadfile directory is corrupt; maybe No error

Maybe it's just me but when I added another wad, my other wad worked fine. Something must be wrong with your file I can't even open it in XWE because it says its not a vaild wad file (even though it is a wad). Even Srb2 DoomBuilder doesn't work... It might just be me is anyone else having that problem?

Last edited:
Wrong, actually. Patches must be within that size (not sure about width but whatever), but textures can actually be whatever size, with one condition: the width must be a power of two (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc). (In vanilla Doom, height was also limited to 128 pixels tall, but that's a non-issue in SRB2.)

What I guess I'm seeing here is that you put a patch in but didn't set up the dimensions of the texture that's using it correctly. That, or perhaps you replaced a patch in an existing texture without any consideration for how it'd end up looking. As a result, your patch is too big for the texture definition, and parts of the patch are getting cut off. The solution would be to modify the texture definition to be a power-of-two wide, as well as the correct height - if you go higher than 255, divide the texture up into multiple patches, ideally 128 pixels tall. Also, if you replaced an existing texture... don't. Add a new definition to the end of TEXTURE1 and work from there.

Thats sorta what I meant by the or less part. But yeah, I agree con this, this might be the solution to the problem

If you just inserted that image as-is into the WAD (well, converting it to Doom format and using SRB2's palette, of course), then yeah, it'd see a non-power-of-2 width (500) and cut it down to the next-highest (256), which would give you the clipping issue you're seeing here. You should resize it down accordingly, I think.

However, if your level geometry really demands it be 500 pixels large, you can also add dummy data around the edges and pad it up to 512 pixels wide. Basically, just enlarge the canvas in any good graphic editor (ie: not MS Paint) to that size, and fill in the new, empty canvas with a color similar to the edges of the image (because bilinear filtering in OpenGL mode can possibly make the color you chose very apparent as it tries to interpolate between the actual graphic and the blank canvas, but it'll be less glaring if it's a similar shade). Then, just make sure the linedef you're putting the texture onto is only as large as the part of the texture that isn't the blank canvas color.

Also, 400 pixels is too tall for a single patch; make sure you're breaking that up into multiple sub-255-pixel-tall patches isntead, or else you'll incur the wrath of the tutti-frutti effect - and, in the process, cause some of the graphic to not get rendered at all. I'm not sure if the data on the bottom will overwrite data on the top or be truncated entirely, but there'll be some kind of data loss.

Well everytime I try to add your wad it says

Maybe it's just me but when I added another wad, my other wad worked fine. Something must be wrong with your file I can't even open it in XWE because it says its not a vaild wad file (even though it is a wad). Even Srb2 DoomBuilder doesn't work... It might just be me is anyone else having that problem?

i have a fix for you BOTH.

use SRB2 Workbench (created by the same person who created SRB2 Doom Builder)
and SLADE.
e
EDIT: DO'H! IT'S SRB2 WORKBENCH NOT SRB2 WORKSHOP Dx

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

and SLADE.
e

also, it's for 2.0, not 1.0.9.4.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

and SLADE.
e

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

also, it's for 2.0, not 1.0.9.4.

also, i add wads via SRB2 NetLauncher

If you are only using the texture as a billboard, what you can do is to use another patch to fill in the right of the rest of the image (if the original image is like "[___]" the texture would look like "[___][_"). The rest of the image would not be displayed in game since the linedef would be only 500 units long. I definitely would NOT advise on using that texture as a repeating texture, since it would look very odd. If you had to, you could use an image editor like shadowhog sugested and fill in the rest of the image with the sky or something. You can even copy and paste the little cloud to fill in the remaining area because I think the same cloud is resized over and over.

Whichever you decide to do, split the image into half vertically. Put both halves in the wad as patches (something like BLUTEAM1 and BLUTEAM2 would probably work). If you don't know how to do that, look at the custom texture tutorial for SLADE or XWE to learn how to make textures with patches (which is good for larger textures). Make the completed texture 512x400 and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back