Custom Abilities Suggestion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redefinition of an earlier suggestion of mine, plus a new one...

-- Forward Snap
A short range teleport forwards in midair, distance determined by actionspeed.
-Pros: Instantaneous; passes through enemies (but not damaging areas)
-Cons: Complete loss of momentum; does not damage enemies; cannot pass through areas normally impassible (walls, gaps too small to fit through, lava, slime, etc.)

-- Light step
Stand and walk upon water surfaces. Spinning, being hurt, or the water being part of a waterslide would cancel the effect.
-Pros: Able to move about and stand upon water and slime (but not lava)
-Cons: Slowed movement; possibly a ring drain effect; no midair action; multiability, although it would possibly involve full speed, would remove one's ability to sink on command (no spindash)

-- Climb/No Glide
Basically climbing without gliding.
-Pros: Wall climbing.
-Cons: No gliding. Hope you can make that jump...

And maybe a variable for having the character use special frames while spindashing. For example, allowing a character to have a charging forward animation without replacing their jump animation. (Or a maxdash = 0 melee attack that looks like something more than "o hay im spindashin in place")

Air Flip: Flips backwards and upwards. Force depends on actionspd. It would use the special frames, and at the end of the special frame sequence, switch to the falling frames.
Pros: Good at getting to high places.
Cons: Cannot use Cam_Rotate command (seriously. No cheetx plox). Also leaves you wide open.

Air Cannon: Similar to the Directional Thok suggestion (by Blacklightning) in the way that it's aimable vertically as well. But thing is, it stops for a second before "firing" (Cannon? Fire? Get it?), allowing you time to veer. Can be useful for tricking opponents.
Pros: Also good at getting to high places (specially OGL)
Can also trick an opponent.
Cons: Vertical aim is only usable in First Person view.
Leaves you wide open in shooter modes.

Air Shot: Air Cannon's younger brother. This varies in control style: it's less manouverable, but quicker to trigger (still stops midair, but is usable in the same instant as you use it.)
The controls are manual:

Up: Boosts you upwards depending on actionspd. If you hit a roof, however, it either acts in several ways:

1. If at high speeds (near thokspeed), you instantly get hurt.
  2. Medium speeds: Same as high speeds, but without losing rings. (Call it a nasty bump)
  3. Low speeds: Nothing happens.
Cons: It also uses the Spring sprites, leaving you open.

Down: Acts a la Sonic Unleashed Stomp. Creates a shockwave on impact with the ground (Shock's range depending on actionspd, thokspeed is slightly less range in proportion to BlackEggman's) which destroys (or damages) SP enemies, and knocks back other players (yes, this happens to allies too), leaving them open enough to shoot them. Usable with the flag in CTF, but instead cannot shoot with it.
Pros: Enemies cannot shoot when hit by the shockwave.
Cons: Cancels all momentum,
Sides or strafe: Boost to the sides! Quite nifty at dodging. Cannot be used in Tag (no really? You ain't avoiding getting caught mate). Actionspd is halved with the flag, allowing dodges, but not absolute dodging
Jump again: Cancels maneuver, causes you to drop.
Spin: Minithok (Acts as half actionspd)

Air Boost: Acts as Blacklightning's Teleport, only you go at actionspd. Replaced by Thok in multiplayer modes excluding Co-op.

Slide: Replaces Spin, but not Spindash. Disables automatic spinning in small gaps, though (unless Spindashing is used to go into the gap).

climbspd
: Adjusts climbing speed for characters that can climb walls. Cap is twice Knuckles' speed. This would make a neat Walljump when climbspd 0 is combined with the Climb Only ability. Default is Knuckles' speed.

walltics: For characters that use Climb Only. Value is in tics (Default number is 0). If set to 10 or less, you can cling onto the wall infinitely. Anything over that, and you'll act as if you pressed Spin on the wall when the time's up. Maximum is 350 (10 seconds).

Offtopic: Ha, Zeeky Boogy Doog.

HAI IM ZEEKY H BOMB *explodes like a nuke*

Knuckles Breaker (Or something) - Alows character to break through walls, Knuckles style. Removes spindashing, however.

I will list the abilitys of the main characters now.

Thok
(Air Ability)
Press the jump button in midair to dash through the air.
Pros: Useful for changing direction in midair.
Cons: Hard to control.

Fly/Swim
(Air Ability)
Tap the Jump button in midair to fly or swim.
Pros: Useful for platforming.
Cons: You cannot fly for long.

Glide/Climb
(Air Ability)
Press the Jump button in midair to glide through it, when you collide with a wall, you can climb on it.
Pros: Useful for going over pits.
Cons: You slowly fall when gliding.

Spindash
(Spin Ability)
Press the spin button to spin on the ground.
Pros: Useful for getting through small areas.
Cons: Will not stop on a dime.

Super Flight
(Super Ability)
Hold the spin button when jumping to hover in the air.
Pros: Useful for platforming.
Cons: If you move too slow, you fall.

Super Leap
(Other Ability)
While super, press the spin button when jumping to leap into the air.
Pros: It is a very powerful whirlwind jump.
Cons: Only works when super.

Super Transform
(Other Ability)
In Single player and coop, if you have 50 and the chaos emeralds, you can turn super.
Pros: It is a super transformation!
Cons: It is hard to get the emeralds.

Inproved Ability
(Super Ability)
When super, your ability is inproved.
Pros: You get multi ability most of the time.
Cons: Only works when super.

Wall Smash
(Other Ability)
You can break some walls by touching them.
Pros: You don't need to spin to break walls.
Cons: Some platforms break if you jump on them.

Firing Rate
(Combat Ability)
You shoot rings at a faster rate.
Pros: Automatic ring becomes a "minigun"
Cons: You can't jump as high.

So there is all the main characters abilitys.

What if you made climb a second variable? That would definitely add some flexibility.
For example, if the ability was thok, you could add climb, and if you touched a wall after thokking, you would climb. Of course, with some abilities this wouldn't work so well, so it would be obvious and become frowned upon.

I'd like to remind everyone of how the structure works. A lot of the suggestions here are simply not going to work in the real game because they're not following the structure.

2.X character system has a primary (double jump) ability and a secondary (spindash) ability. There are NOT more fields. Hence, if you want to add an ability, it needs to replace either the double jump ability or the spindash ability.

As an example, here is a primary ability from our internal discussion topic (Note that this does not mean these abilities will be the game, these are just the ideas we're tossing around internally):

"Wall Jump. This should be done like it is in Super Mario 64, where the angle you jump at the wall changes the angle you jump off the wall."

Here are two secondary abilities from our internal discussion topic:

"Super Peelout. In SRB2, this would act like the spindash, but charge like it does in Sonic CD and not cause the player to spin."
"Multi-ability. This is a complicated concept but most players already know what it does at a basic level. For abilities where this doesn't make sense, simply make this do nothing."

Notice that nothing comes for free in this system. The wall jump suggestion replaces the thok, so if you used that ability you would not be able to fly or do any other primary ability. The Super Peelout replaces the spindash, and the multi-ability flag ALSO replaces the spindash. There is no boolean flag to allow you to multithok AND spindash on the same character. You have to give up something to get something.

It would make much more sense if we had 5 abilitys.
That way, we can make our characters more creative.

I will show Knuckles' Abilitys as an example.

Air Ability - Glide/Climb
Spin Ability - Spindash
Other Ability - Barrier Break
Super Ability - Improved Ability
Combat Ability - Firing Rate

So, you are already using all of the five.
However, Sonic and tails don't use them all.
Now let us use them too.

I have decided to remake the boost.

Unleashed Boost
(Other Ability)
By pressing the spin button while running at max speed, you can boost, destroying robots that get in your way. This costs 20 rings.
(Note, this could replace the spin ability)

Last edited:
I got one!Or more then that...

1.You know how in sonic unleashed it's slow motion and you click buttons?That should be one when you go on the red spring.

2.The stages should change night to day,And if you die at day,You get a rage mode for One minute

3.I dont know if someone said this already but there should be a Slow motion ability for silver :D

Thats all I have for now.

I got one!Or more then that...

1.You know how in sonic unleashed it's slow motion and you click buttons?That should be one when you go on the red spring.

That was made by someone ages ago (forgot his name lol) but it was the closest to it I could think of, but that was for 1.09

2.The stages should change night to day,And if you die at day,You get a rage mode for One minute

That would be cool, maybe change each game to have different times of day. Rage mode might not be too bad, but it would kinda ruin the gameplay.

3.I dont know if someone said this already but there should be a Slow motion ability for silver :D

Slow motion, for what and how so?

Acceleration and top speed should be inversely proportional and combined into a single value. And afterwards, we can push the maximum running speed up to about 45 and not feel guilty.

Of course, it would be proportional so that Sonic, Knux, and Tails wouldn't have any handling changes.

Last edited:
Alright, now that I'm back, let me clarify my statement about the Health Meter:

This is a Sonic game. Rings are the health meter in a Sonic game. A non-Ring health meter would be redundant, and I can't see any real use.

Besides, I think I remember at least one Mod that had a health meter, made using SOC editing.

EDIOT:
And yes please to both of these:
-- Climb/No Glide
Basically climbing without gliding.
-Pros: Wall climbing.
-Cons: No gliding. Hope you can make that jump...

And maybe a variable for having the character use special frames while spindashing. For example, allowing a character to have a charging forward animation without replacing their jump animation. (Or a maxdash = 0 melee attack that looks like something more than "o hay im spindashin in place")

Last edited:
WallDash - Replaces a Glide/Climb characters climbing and spindash powers, lets you spindash while holding on a wall, like the Knuckles/Amy combo in Sonic Advance 3. Could be used to climb walls quickly.

Nomekop, how exactly do you expect us to use the abilities that already exist in the game to create new ones to suggest developers to put in? And if we're suggesting new abilities at all, wouldn't we have to have prior knowledge of the game to know not to suggest something that's already in the game?

"HURF DURF THERE SHOULD BE AN ABILITY WHERE WHEN YOU REPEATEDLY PRESS JUMP YOU FLY THROUGH THE AIR"

Seriously.

Anyways, how about replacing the spindash with a half second burst of speed in the direction the camera is facing? Usable in mid-air too if you don't have a whirlwind/armageddon shield, and possibly multiple uses in one jump with a special regenerator Thing that auto-respawns.

Hover Shot (or something) - Double Jump Ability - This power would giver you a projectile weapon for your midair action. You would hover in midair for a little bit, and then fire a projectile, that is determend by THOKITEM. after the shot is fired, you will fall to the ground in your spingdown frames. The ability would also kill all momentem you had. The projectile will be aimed at the nearest enemy, or if no enemy is near by, at a slight downwards angle. If used with multi-ability/no spin, you can fire multiple times in one jump. First 2 ability frames would be used for the brief hover before the shot, and thenext two would be used for the firing part.

In other words, alot like Sonic Heroes' Fire Dunk power, that was used by Knuckles and E-123 Omega.

And maybe a spindash version?

Spin Blast - When you spin then press the shooting key you kill all badniks near you, then you spindash foward extreamly fast and can break all walls only Knuckles can break. You then have to wait 30 seconds for it to charge up again. It charges up all the way when hitting a Super Ring moniter. But you won't be able to do ANY OTHER ABILITIES before recharging.

Pros : Kills all Badniks near you. Makes you spin VERY fast and can break walls only Knuckles can break.
Cons : Can't use any abilities for 30 seconds. Takes 30 seconds to recharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back