• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Crash Bandicoot Beta Thread

The Radar function is fine, I guess? It's useful when 100%-ing the level with the Box Tally Mode enabled, since there are several monitors in places that are outside of the box. However, my personal problem is that it somewhat kills the feel of exploration and search for boxes completely blind, like it was in the PS1 Trilogy. Without the Radar, you are encouraged to go and explore stages, while with the Radar, you really just follow directions and don't do anything else.
It IS something that I can nitpick on when talking about the Emblem Radar in the Vanilla SRB2 for the same reason.

I know that it's a toggle-able function, but even then, it's really just a weird feature to me personally.
This is a fair point, but the primary thing is that srb2 levels are giant and non-linear, which is the complete opposite of the original PS1's linear corridor levels. So while combing through the levels blind to find boxes is fine in the original games, in srb2 it can become a pain that only increases as the number of boxes you find goes up. There's a reason I made the radar in the first place and made it toggle-able for both client-side and server-side, because I've definitely had some beta testers that expressed frustration at not being able to find certain boxes because of how the base game's levels are designed.

The Radar function is fine, I guess? It's useful when 100%-ing the level with the Box Tally Mode enabled, since there are several monitors in places that are outside of the box. However, my personal problem is that it somewhat kills the feel of exploration and search for boxes completely blind, like it was in the PS1 Trilogy. Without the Radar, you are encouraged to go and explore stages, while with the Radar, you really just follow directions and don't do anything else.
It IS something that I can nitpick on when talking about the Emblem Radar in the Vanilla SRB2 for the same reason.

I know that it's a toggle-able function, but even then, it's really just a weird feature to me personally.
Blind searches work fine in a linear game where finding hidden boxes is a simple matter of paying attention to your surroundings, doing it without an aid is much less feasible in SRB2 sadly.
My suggestion would be to have a "Box Emblem" that rewards breaking a certain number akin to the Ring Emblem, rather than asking players to seek out every box in the level. If the Nitro detonator was placed in a hidden spot that the player is guaranteed to pass by (most if not all levels bottleneck the player near the end, so it's doable) then that mechanic can work as well. I can think of some neat hiding spots in the likes of RVZ.

Blind searches work fine in a linear game where finding hidden boxes is a simple matter of paying attention to your surroundings, doing it without an aid is much less feasible in SRB2 sadly.
My suggestion would be to have a "Box Emblem" that rewards breaking a certain number akin to the Ring Emblem, rather than asking players to seek out every box in the level. If the Nitro detonator was placed in a hidden spot that the player is guaranteed to pass by (most if not all levels bottleneck the player near the end, so it's doable) then that mechanic can work as well. I can think of some neat hiding spots in the likes of RVZ.
I already plan to adjust the required amount of boxes to be broken for singleplayer, in multiplayer the total number can be left as it is currently. As for rewards, the only thing I have planned is the player getting rewarded with Chaos Emeralds after breaking a certain number of boxes (an homage to the collectible gems in the original games).

Some cool stuff, and we're one step closer to finishing this thing.

So first off: the total number of boxes needed to break have been lowered for singleplayer in maps that have a lot of them, so now 100% completion is more doable solo. As well, breaking boxes now rewards points (given by the glowing blank box that spawns at the end), breaking half of the total boxes in a level rewards you with an Emerald Token while breaking all of the required amount rewards a Chaos Emerald (if you have all emeralds, they reward 2 emerald tokens instead). To prevent abusing this mechanic and to increase the incentive to break as many boxes as possible, Emerald Tokens that normally spawn in the level get deleted in Box Tally Mode.

Speaking of Emeralds, all of Crash's placeholder sprites for the NiGHTS special stages have been implemented. Some animations may need to be redone, but at least they're there.

Now all that should be left to do is code in a custom transformation sequence for the super form, add in some music changes, and finally get around to adding all of the various deaths.

Oh, and the Aku Aku box immediately levels up Aku Aku if broken by Crash, otherwise it rewards the player with either a random type of monitor or invincibility.

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.7.0.pk3
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Alright, this is probably the last beta build before the full proper release.

All of the deaths have been implemented, some bugs relating to the box pointer and aku aku objects have been fixed, and the super transformation sequence has been coded in (minus one bug relating to the audio cue that I'm still trying to figure out how to fix aaa-).

All that's left is finalizing the sprites and fixing any bugs that get thrown my way between now and the full release.

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.7.1.pk3
    3.2 MB · Views: 72

All of the deaths have been implemented, some bugs relating to the box pointer and aku aku objects have been fixed, and the super transformation sequence has been coded in (minus one bug relating to the audio cue that I'm still trying to figure out how to fix aaa-).

All that's left is finalizing the sprites and fixing any bugs that get thrown my way between now and the full release.
THIS IS FUCKIN AWESOME keep up the good work man you got a future doing srb2 mods or other things

can we host with this rn?
Post automatically merged:

can we host with this rn?

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back