• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Crash Bandicoot Beta Thread

My second ever forum thread, I still have no idea what I'm doing. But as the title says, alongside the addon of my OC, I've been working on a mod based on everyone's favorite orange marsupial, Crash Bandicoot!

He's been in development for over a month now, and he's made substantial progress. He has pretty much all of his iconic moveset (tornado spin, death tornado spin glide, slide, crawl, slide/crouch jump, double jump, and belly flop), Aku Aku is fully functional as a health point, and I even went the extra mile to replace most of the monitors in the game with boxes! (only works in singleplayer/co-op and not all the monitors have been replaced due to limited resources)

And yes, touching the nitro crates causes them to explode just like in the original games.
srb20050.gif

I also did something special for a "super" form, but I'm leaving that surprise for any beta testers to discover (I will say you just have to press custom 2 once you have all the emeralds and have rings)

And that's pretty much it for now, he's still missing some sounds and music and might still have some bugs, but he's coming along pretty well.

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.5.pk3
    475.1 KB · Views: 192
Fixed a bug where crash's slide was much faster underwater than on land, and implemented two fun little features.
The nitro crates now bounce up randomly like in the original games for added danger,
srb20052.gif

and Crash can knock other players back with his spin move, though it doesn't do any damage on co-op and doesn't activate any i-frames.
srb20051.gif

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.5.pk3
    475.2 KB · Views: 104
OOOOOOOOO! THIS IS HYPE! Tho, would it be possible to swap the Spin and Slide Buttons?

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOO! THIS IS HYPE! Tho, would it be possible to swap the Spin and Slide Buttons?
Yeah I'm aware that button mappings are different on controllers (which basically borks the muscle memory for those that have played a Crash game before), I'll hopefully figure out a way to make the controls swappable for controller players.

Yeah I'm aware that button mappings are different on controllers (which basically borks the muscle memory for those that have played a Crash game before), I'll hopefully figure out a way to make the controls swappable for controller players.
Aight, cool. Btw, did you know MotorRoach (one of SRB2's artists) made a Crash Bandicoot sprite in the SRB2 style on his Deviantart page?
Here's a link to the sprite (among others): https://www.deviantart.com/motorroach/art/SRB2-Sprite-Dump-944790106
Perhaps you can ask him if you can use it?

an updated version with every used monitor in the game completely reskinned and some missing sound effects added in
srb20022.png

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.5.5.pk3
    860 KB · Views: 87
an updated version with every used monitor in the game completely reskinned and some missing sound effects added in
View attachment 101114
Have you considered using sprite flats to make the crates 3d? I recall seeing a development gif actually using the Crash crates as a demonstration of the effect before it was properly added, so I think it would be a good fit here.
Love the detail with the ring crate bulging from its contents though, cute touch.

Have you considered using sprite flats to make the crates 3d? I recall seeing a development gif actually using the Crash crates as a demonstration of the effect before it was properly added, so I think it would be a good fit here.
Love the detail with the ring crate bulging from its contents though, cute touch.
I've actually never heard of that effect before, I might look into it and see if I can be able to implement that in.
Post automatically merged:

Some minor stuff with this build, just fixed a bug where crash could stunlock other players with the spin and partially transformed the starpost checkpoints into checkpoint crates, coupled with a unique sound effect.
srb20053.gif

The next build is hopefully where I'll be able to get the framework done for all of crash's unique death animations (at least the ones I can get away with implementing, anyway).

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.5.6.pk3
    918.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Alright, most of crash's deaths have been implemented
Keep in mind about 3 of them are completely missing and they'll print a message when triggered, but feel free to play around with the other 6 deaths

Attachments

• CL_CrashBandicoot_v0.5.7.pk3
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
Do you plan on custom sprites? or do you plan on just using Sonic's sprites like the original Spyro mod?

Do you plan on custom sprites? or do you plan on just using Sonic's sprites like the original Spyro mod?
I plan on custom sprites (if I get any luck with 3D modelling or find someone to collaborate with), but you can release an addon with placeholder sprites? I thought the addon has to be complete with sprites and everything to qualify.

Hmm. Its Interesting.
Well A Crash be use Sonic shields or he need use a Crash masks?
edit: I be can just a beta of addon thx

I plan on custom sprites (if I get any luck with 3D modelling or find someone to collaborate with), but you can release an addon with placeholder sprites? I thought the addon has to be complete with sprites and everything to qualify.
yeah, you can totally release a mod with placeholder sprites if you want to. the only thing stopping a mod from being held back from releasing is a lack of original content which, by the looks of it, won't be a problem here.

Hmm. Its Interesting.
Well A Crash be use Sonic shields or he need use a Crash masks?
edit: I be can just a beta of addon thx
If I'm interpreting this question correctly, no, Crash cannot use any of the shields he picks up because they all get replaced with the mask. And the mask is too integral to Crash's identity for me to even allow an option to keep the traditional damage system Sonic characters have.
Post automatically merged:

yeah, you can totally release a mod with placeholder sprites if you want to. the only thing stopping a mod from being held back from releasing is a lack of original content which, by the looks of it, won't be a problem here.
I didn't know that. I probably might still wait until I have at least half of the sprites done before publicly releasing any of my addons, just so that people aren't entirely playing as recolored Sonics with different abilities and gameplay types, especially for when these addons get hosted in multiplayer servers.

The crates replacing moniters is an interesting aesthetic concept, tho i must ask...

Have you considered using flats to display pseudo 3D crates. It would work really well with the Checkpoint crate.

The crates replacing moniters is an interesting aesthetic concept, tho i must ask...

Have you considered using flats to display pseudo 3D crates. It would work really well with the Checkpoint crate.
I brought up the idea to them earlier in the thread and they said they would look into it.

srb20014.gif
I might be able to help with that.
I'm pretty good at 3D animation. If you need any help, Call me and i should be able to do it.
(Model from Crash On The Run, Specifically the Retro skin)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back