Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can already tell that FawlFulFan got me beat, but I'm still entering.
Glad to hear you're going ahead; by no means let me stand in your way. People shouldn't be discouraged from entering the contest because of other maps already known to be entered; knowing that Thompson and Blade were entering the previous contest didn't stop me from submitting Greenflower Sunset Zone, even though both of them are consistently better mappers than myself.

There is no rule that you can't use features in other mods in your entry, but there is also no way for you to force users to test your map in said modification, so unless you can make it work correct enough in vanilla SRB2 that the player isn't going to have problems, you probably shouldn't consider it because those who aren't using the mod will be voting based on their experience in vanilla SRB2.

Meh, I decided to post some screenies on my map.

I present to you: UNDERGOUND ZONE!!! (name pending)

JDOL6.png

The entrance of the cave. (Or the exit of the valley, if you prefer...)

THe4o.png

Some of the ruins, and an entrance to the tunnel. (You can't see the tunnel, it's behind me.)

I got the idea from a past map that I tried to make 2 years ago, but it went horribly wrong. That map was before I made Angel Ruins, of-course.

I've been on a roll when it comes to making SRB2 levels. I've got 3 in the works at the moment, one Single Player, one Match, and one Capture the Flag.

One of them is the one I've been talking about a lot: Jello Factory, a match stage of mine. I didn't want to post screenshots for spoilers sake, but when I sent it to people for testing, something happened. I got approximately the exact same response from three testers.
Spherallic said:
RedEnchilada said:
Fawfulfan said:

So I guess there's a problem or something. Apparently some grumpyflanks don't like big levels or exploring that much. But, I mean, REALLY! It takes lots of space to make good Jello.

I guess I'll oblige them though, and cut and squeeze some of the beautiful content out.

So here are your superb screenshots of scrapped schemes:

srb20032.png

That's the Mixing Room, where the magic begins.

srb20034.png

The Cooling Room, where the fluid Jello settles, and becomes jiggling blocks of sweet goodness.

srb20036.png

The Warehouse room, where all the materials needed to make delicious Jello are stored.

srb20037.png

A hallway, which also happens to be the first part of the map that I made.

srb20040.png

A view out the windows of a street overpass.

Last edited:
If you think that each and every one of those areas has a place, then perhaps you should repurpose it as a Single Player level, where there's a lot more flexibility for length and layout. I happen to like most of those rooms, even if they make the level way too big, so that might actually be your best option.

Last edited:
One of them is the one I've been talking about a lot: Jello Factory, a match stage of mine. I didn't want to post screenshots for spoilers sake, but when I sent it to people for testing, something happened. I got approximately the exact same response from two testers.

[my (and RedEnchilada's) quote here]

So I guess there's a problem or something. Apparently some grumpyflanks don't like big levels or exploring that much. But, I mean, REALLY! It takes lots of space to make good Jello.
Wow, you got me completely wrong! I do like big levels and exploring them! But not in Match.

oh, and way to make me look like an asshole!

EDIT: this is the best 400th post ever. undoubtedly.

Wow, you got me completely wrong! I do like big levels and exploring them! But not in Match.

I'd think that the term "Grumpyflanks" would be enough to evidence that I was teasing.

oh, and way to make me look like an asshole!
Not my intention at all. :/

Fawfulfan said:
If you think that each and every one of those areas has a place, then perhaps you should repurpose it as a Single Player level, where there's a lot more flexibility for length and layout. I happen to like most of those rooms, even if they make the level way too big, so that might actually be your best option.

Nah, I'm definitely not making it single player. That'd require a completely different approach than I'm taking right now, and besides, I wanted it to be match in the first place. I've been thinking about it, though, and I've discovered a way to work it all out for the better.

Last edited:
Gonna go ahead and drop these off here:

Typhoon Jungle, SP map currently in progress. These screenshots are not final.

srb20006.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back