Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Simsmagic: Personally, I always thought that having a border around a "sky" type level looked unnatural. I would opt for having a sky texture on the thok barrier instead.
Now that I think about it, though, the border is good for letting people know the level's boundaries, but what's the point of that?
Otherwise, looks amazing. Can't wait to play it.

@Whackjood: Nice! Looks very cool. Although I'd like to suggest making the streetlights like the ones in that one match level from 1.09.4a, what was it called? (The one with the four buildings and the starry sky.) The current ones look too wide. Also, I agree with Ice, it could really use some more scenery and the subway thing sounds pretty cool. Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of agree. The only reason I created that sort of barrier in Snowcap Nimbus Zone was because everyone else wanted me to do it. But in retrospect, it actually works pretty well in SNZ.

I didn't want to reveal any screenshots of me and SpiritCrusher's map. Then I realised that showing off a few nebulous screenshots with incomplete visuals would not reveal the major gimmick we're having:

nnnzi8.png

15ib5sy.png

"Incomplete" is not the right word. As you can see, this map is in ultra-alpha state. Don't even try to comment on the visuals, this is currently more of a test stage than anything else.

Lately, Dusk and I have been working on a Circuit map named Tidal Cave Zone. (fdsghfds non-alliterative title) It takes place in an underground cave, flooded with water and just a bit of ice.

Screenshots:

srb20201.png

The starting area. Apparently Dusk spent over thirty minutes making it, so I guess that makes it special? (I also added a couple of things, but not much.)

srb20193.png

A collapsing bridge, the first major obstacle of the lap. If you fall, you have to take the lower route.

srb20195.png

A segment about halfway into the lap, featuring flowing water that you can take a ride in. Don't fall, though!

srb20197.png

Right after that, you come across a bunch of falling stalactites. These things hurt! (They don't crush, though. They just give regular damage.)

srb20200.png

The last major obstacle of the lap, this current threatens to push you off the side.

View the entire photo album here.

You can also see a quick video, demonstrating a couple of laps through.

aufcoz.png

A few more days pass and our map begins to leave pre-alpha and enter alpha with most of the basic sector layout done.

Last edited:
And yes, this will look less like a Thunder Citadel clone when finished, I promise. In other words, there will be different textures, and we won't also copy the sniper towers. Those natural "bridges" are enough copycat-ism :P

As SpiritCrusher promised, in just 15 hours, there has been a complete visual overhaul:

2eq5kcl.png

Thus taking our map from Alpha to Beta!

This is the Ministry of Truth speaking: The face does not exist. You must be hallucinating. In other news, the sector layout is almost done.

You guys you should make the FOFs cast a shadow, and not make them brighten the area underneath.
Also, there's kind of an overload of grass. Literally half of the pic is green, really. You could make some ground have normal rock floors instead of grass.
Maybe you could also make the rock colors at the blue base be more blue/grey/white/black, and more red/orange/brown at the red base.

You guys you should make the FOFs cast a shadow, and not make them brighten the area underneath.
I observed that glitch on several occasions, I just didn't get around to fixing it.
Also, there's kind of an overload of grass. Literally half of the pic is green, really. You could make some ground have normal rock floors instead of grass.
That's true, but it might also stem from the fact that there are no things. I'll try making some of the ground rocks, and see if it works out.

Maybe you could also make the rock colors at the blue base be more blue/grey/white/black, and more red/orange/brown at the red base.
The problem is that blue and white and kinda winter-ish and would look strange.

Making some rocks would look much better than it does now. Adding stone pathways could be a nice visual.
Rocks are actually already being added. I do like the stone pathways idea, especially in front of the castle door (that entrance still looks a bit plain).

EDIT:
And this is what it looks like. Yes, the castle walls are getting more decoration (including blue/red flags to discern the bases). Also, all the rocks and hills are currently a bit empty and flat, due to lack of decoration. I'm also thinking of adding another stone pathway on the other side of the bridge.
2eeg5yg.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back