Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
srb20138.png

srb20139.png

More work has been done on DEZ1. I'm still working on custom textures, but I'm slowly getting more done.

I quite like this 2D part. You can see all of the moving crushers/platforms in the background that you have already encountered.

Blade, those 2D screenshots are awesome.

Anyways, I might consider entering the Match and Circuit division.

I will be using some other map named Egg Hill Zone 1, not Goosebump Mountain Zone 1. If you looked at the Egg Hill Zone post Those pictures are trash beacause Egg Hill Zone Is completly new.

45% Done

This map is level 7 in Sonic Robo Blast 2: Hidden Lands.

Pictures will be in the next contest discussion topic.

Last edited:
In keeping in Great Giana Sisters Spirit, the opening sector is a rip off from Mario Koopa Blast. But like with the Giana Sisters, there are no warp pipes.
srb20154.png

srb20156-1.png
Yes, the block textures animate, no I do not have a useable animate lump
srb20155.png

Coin and ring sprites will be replaced soon.

And just incase here's how close Giana Sister's rips off Mario
http://www.lemon64.com/giana/media/stages/stage_1.gif
http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm#SuperMarioBros
Sorry to burst your bubble, but:

Rules section said:
The map has to be your own work. If you base it on another map, that's fine, but a straight port or slight modifications are against the rules.

Pardon me while I dip my bubble wand again.

The key word is based, Right? This is only the start of the level and I'm nowhere near 1/16 done. The idea for the start of the level is to resemble Mario Koopa Blast 1. The rest will be different. I'm not THAT stupid to break the rules like that.

Last edited:
And even if Glaber DID break that rule with the MKB ripoff section, he probably rebuilt the area from scratch.
Anyways, Neo Sand Paradise Zone 1 is being redone as Midnight Meadow Zone 1. It might not be done in time, but if it isn't, I'll enter it in the Jan/Feb 2010 contest. Progress is rather slow on the other maps.

EDIT: Sorry if there are "R"s missing, my R seems to be broken.

Couldn't you ripoff a part of MKB that was actually not horrible? Or maybe just start with a ripoff of SMB 1-1? As much as I hate the concept of duplicating an area from an existing level only to show off that it is a parody, I would consider it an even bigger problem if your level actually turned out half-decent and that MKB area ended up dragging it down. Besides, SMB 1-1 is more iconic than MKB anyway.

I'll most probably try and re-submit Mangrove Manor level again. I heard that it needed more rings, by a mile.

Whee, Freaky Factory has been submitted.

hai Mystic~

Aaaanyways, I'm also trying to enter my volcano SP map into this contest. Lesse what we have here...

srb20080.png

One of the first sections. The lava geysers holding platforms up move up and down and may crush you against the ceiling, so be careful!

srb20081.png

Close to the end of the upper path, this area overlooks an eariler section in the lower path.

srb20082.png

The lava slide area on the lower path. This is close to the beginning of the path in question.

srb20083.png

A special puzzle on the lower path, if you solve this, you can find a 1-up, and you may improve your time if you're fast enough!

srb20084.png

This is the second screenshot in reverse, showcasing the upper path from the lower path at about an equivalent area.

srb20086.png

After the two paths merge and come together, you come across three paths, each blocking off one character. This creates a different experience for each character, as each path plays differently with each of the two characters, resulting in six different ways to tackle this section.

srb20085.png

About halfway through the Tails and Knuckles path, this rocky bridge crumbles as you come up to it.

srb20087.png

The last major room of the Sonic and Knuckles path, the smog floating around the top is poisonous to the player. Fortunately, it doesn't interfere with your progress... Yet.

srb20088.png

At the end of each two-character path, the two characters are split into their own paths. (However, there is only one path per character, as for example, the S&T and S&K paths both end around the same area, so Sonic's path has two entrances.) Sonic's path revolves around an old, fairly intact portion of Eggman's factory that has lost power. If you spindash on the blue pad, it will turn red, and start a generator. This provides power to the facility for about 15 seconds, which holds steam-powered doors up, activates the floating mechanism in certain platforms, etc. After the generator runs out, it needs about five seconds to rest. This system creates pressure as you race to the door to the next room before the generator runs out.

Tl;dr generators provide power, use them to get through the factory.

Last edited:
You might wanna do something about that big flat island in the fourth screenshot. It needs some vertical variation.

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

In the first screenshot, the flags are withing viewing distance of that rock.

...So remind me, what's the point of most of the bridge, the rock you're standing on, and anything that could be behind it?

Alternate paths, items and powerups. Not enough?

[sarcasm]why do you seem to dislike everything i make[/sarcasm]

Well, it's not required to go there, just leave it alone if you don't want to. It's just that I don't want all the items to be on one part of the map, I want people to explore the map if they want all weapons. If you just want to capture the flag, just take the paths that connect the bases. It's not that there aren't items on the main path(s).

See it a bit like Cloud Palace; you can simply run from base to base, or explore a bit to find more powerups.

Well, it's not required to go there, just leave it alone if you don't want to. It's just that I don't want all the items to be on one part of the map, I want people to explore the map if they want all weapons. If you just want to capture the flag, just take the paths that connect the bases. It's not that there aren't items on the main path(s).

See it a bit like Cloud Palace; you can simply run from base to base, or explore a bit to find more powerups.

I don't remember ever needing to go out of my way TOO much to find anything. Unless you're Sonic, most of the stuff was easy to get to, and Sonic just took a small bit more time. After all, the goods were just above the main path, and the flag carrier sometimes goes there anyway. But giant chunks of the level tossed to the side just for some powerups? That's fine for Match since fights just go everywhere, but in CTF, if it ain't too close to the main path, it's gonna be ignored by players who realise how out of the way and time wasting getting there is and how it's ultimately useless in the end. Exploration and CTF do NOT go hand in hand. CTF is mostly straightforward for this reason, and it works.

But, I can assure you that the powerups aren't miles away from the pathways. In fact, under the bridge is another path from base to base, and there certainly isn't a lack of items there. And besides, it only requires a bit of running or a jump of two to obtain most items.

Just wait until you've played the map. I can give you the beta, so you can give me all the criticism you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back