Connecting to Server stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charybdizs

>WTB lamp oil
Administrator
Kart Krew™️
I was trying to play Co-op with a friend who was having some trouble getting through SRB2, so I set up a server, and had him join through IP address. He said he typed it in, and it said Connecting to Server, but then it stayed there for 2 minutes straight and finally he hit escape and it exited. It's not like it was freezing or anything, could anyone tell me why it's not working for him?

Have you been able to host on the MS before? If not than you won't be able to host through IP either. If you own a router I suggest you get your ports forwarded.

I have my ports forwarded, I host a CTF server a lot of the time, so that's definitely not why,.Also, I was just able to host a game by IP with a few friends the other day.

I have almost the same problem except no one (I think) can join my server!
Before I try this "Forward Ports" thing is it safe to do?

I have almost the same problem except no one (I think) can join my server!
Before I try this "Forward Ports" thing is it safe to do?

Yes, port forwarding is a completely safe thing to do. Had my ports forwarded for 2 years I believe, no problems.

I've had some trouble with this myself, but I am able to host games just fine. However, when I try to join one of my friends servers I am unable to connect to it except on a blue moon. Funny thing is when I do the listserv command it shows her server, but when I actually go look for the server on the game it's not there. I even checked here and it shows that the server is still active and can still be reached. So, I tried to connect by typing the IP in and was still unable to get into her server. Maybe it is a glitch with the MS (highly unlikely, but possible?) or that her ports were bad, so I am not sure what it could be.

Also, Waffles, my router wasn't listed either, but I was able to forward my ports. To do that, go to command prompt and type in IPCONFIG. Write down the default gateway IP address and then open an internet browser (like Internet Explorer) type in http:// and your gateway's IP in the address bar. It should ask you for the username and password. Normally, the user would be Admin and the password would be either pass or password, unless they were changed. After that, you should be in your router's settings and there should be an option that says port forwarding where you can set up the ports for your computer's IP. That's how I did it, however.

Last edited:
Could it possibly be that since my friends didn't have his ports forwarded that he couldn't join MY netgame, when mine are?

Your ports really don't have to be forwarded when you join a netgame, though. I have seen people join my games with ports like 50068 or 62542 [insert more random ports here] most of the time. As far as I am concerned, you only have to forward your ports if you want to host a game on the Mater Server. ...But maybe you have to forward them if you plan on hosting/joining a private server.

Speaking of which, I have seen some servers with their ports forwarded when they try to host a netgame, but their servers become unreachable after a while. It could be possible that the internet connection times out after a certain period of time when it is listed on the server, but remain listed on the MS. Not sure what could be causing it... My guess is that the person's internet isn't fast enough for other people to join. Could be wrong, however, I'm not really sure how the Master Server operates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back