[Open Assets] Color + (Pal-ColorPlus.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And an Act 2 for Red Volcano Zone and the return of Dark City Zone and Doom Ship Zone wich is now being named by Grand Eggship Zone. Now this isn't an Incomplete Campaign anymore!

Last edited:
And an Act 2 for Red Volcano Zone and the return of Dark City Zone and Doom Ship Zone wich is now being named by Grand Eggship Zone. Now this isn't an Incomplete Campaign anymore!

Er, the devs already said that the plan for 2.2 is to just commplete ACZ, anything else complete by the time will be added into the game for the release (>FuckingSonic), but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll get stuff like RVZ2,3, DCZ and GEZ anytime soon.

Back on the main topic, I realized I never said what I thought about this awesome thing!

I love it, you did a great job fixing colors up and all; at first, I wasn't really attracted by it, because of how freaking bright it is compared to vanilla, but then realized how good it was. By the way, I love that pink, the blue and also the yellow, the pink is a hell less dull than vanilla's. Blue kinda reminds me that old bright 1.09.4 Sonic, and the yellow.... well, it's not mustard, so get all my yes for this!

I've sat on this update for a long while; I decided to fix it up and now release it.

~) Threw out everything and imported all the definitively good parts. While this means while there are less changes compared to vanilla,
~) Besides that, the changes are also made to be at least a tad bit more subtle. If you can't tell, I'm trying to make reactions to Color + less mixed and make the changes be more liked overall.
+) Neon Green is now hue-shifted slightly towards blue. This change was built with the green Chaos Emerald in mind, but it also gives neon green jungle-themed levels a more lush/wetter look.
+) Purple's hue is a little better, and it's brighter colors fade more into Lavender (but not completely).
+) Yellow's darker shades are tweaked slightly to make it fade together better.
+) Speaking of yellow, the COLORMAP has been manually tweaked to have yellow shades removed out of non-yellow areas. This means textures like GFZROCK look less sickly in shaded areas.
+) New optional addon, "Pal-ColorPlus_Extras.wad", that is meant to add additional features that normally cannot be added without making the game register as being modified. This only includes "TRANSxx" lumps so far.
-) Some of the older changes to colors, such as Pink and Red, have been reverted.

Now time for an FFAQ (Future Frequently Asked Questions; aka questions I foresee getting)

Will you port this to 2.2?
Probably not.

Will you continue updating this for 2.1?
Probably not.

That's all for now~

jfxZVSz.png

Wow, I'm blinded by 2.2's official palette.

On topic, though, I love the updates you made, Salt baby <3

The original goal of Color + was to add colors that pixel artists wanted. toaster's palette does the same thing, but without sacrificing the look of vanilla. Besides, she did a ton of work fine-tuning the palette entries so that she could fit all those extra colors in there. Porting this would almost be like insulting her efforts.

toaster's the coolest jar of marmalade, respect her work

Last edited:
All of the colours?
All of the colours are vanilla, however that doesn't mean that's all of the vanilla colours.
If thats colour is vanilla, MK is happy man
Well, MotorRoach (a developer) said "2.2's official palette" about it, and other developers have said the palette has been changed for 2.2 and there are more skin colours. At least the part about the palette. I'm not too sure about the "more skin colours" part, but I'm pretty sure they said that too.

The 2.2 palette has four new skincolors, which equals 29 of them. There is space for more two.

Last edited:
the 2.2 palette has 4 new skincolors, which equals 30 skincolors.
25+4=30? In the current 2.1.14, "1" is the first available colour, "25" is the last (not counting Super colours), and from 1 to 25, including 1 and 25, there are 25 colours. And 25+4 should be 29, not 30.

there is a space for more 2.
...What's that supposed to mean? We currently have 40 colours, which is above 32, meaning the limit is at least 64, and 40+4=44, while 64-44=20, leaving room for 20 more, not 2 more. And when we consider 10 colours will probably be removed as Tails and Knuckles can't become super anymore, and thus 5 extra colours for each would be a waste of colours, that leaves room for 30 more colours. At least.

From what Toster posted. I counted 29 colour in the gif with the colours on show.

But i dont know if its the official pallete

25+4=30? In the current 2.1.14, "1" is the first available colour, "25" is the last (not counting Super colours), and from 1 to 25, including 1 and 25, there are 25 colours. And 25+4 should be 29, not 30.

Actually, you're both sorta wrong. There are 25 colours in 2.1, but I added five and removed one, leading to 29 skincolours available.

...What's that supposed to mean? We currently have 40 colours, which is above 32, meaning the limit is at least 64, and 40+4=44, while 64-44=20, leaving room for 20 more, not 2 more. And when we consider 10 colours will probably be removed as Tails and Knuckles can't become super anymore, and thus 5 extra colours for each would be a waste of colours, that leaves room for 30 more colours. At least.

See, this is where he's almost right and you're definitely wrong. When sending information for an object (which includes but is not limited to players) to and from a server, the game chops up a 32 bit integer into multiple chunks to represent different pieces of information. Five bits are dedicated to skincolours; 2^5 is 32 different possibilities. Where he makes a mistake is neglecting to remember the always-inaccessible-to-players None skincolour taking up the zeroth slot - making it impossible for there to be any more colours. (In the case of super, the number in this field is ignored and the flashing is handled client side.)

From what Toster posted. I counted 29 colour in the gif with the colours on show.

But i dont know if its the official pallete

Correct! And yes, it is the official 2.2 palette.

Last edited:
Five bits are dedicated to skincolours;
Alright. I was thinking it was something along the lines of only using 5 bits... however I didn't consider the fact the rest of the bits in the byte could be used for something else, and thus didn't see a reason for not being able to add an extra bit (or three) to colour information.

(In the case of super, the number in this field is ignored and the flashing is handled client side.)
...So that's why the Super colours have been made in-accessible to Lua and SOC? Now I finally know why they're in-accessible. Thank you for that information.

If you can just add palettes as wads, couldn't you just turn the current vanilla palette into a wad, add it to 2.2, then add a 2.1 character that uses that palette, making it compatible to a degree? (vice versa w/1.09 and 2.0?)

Yes, you can! In fact, you can get the exact same level of compatibility with adding 1.09 characters into SRB2SBAHJ in a couple of places, where I have used the 1.09 palette to good effect. Here's Hinote in 2.2 with the 2.1 palette and levels added back in.

XnJUBFM.png

Luj5E1m.png

Except the character wad system's changing, so characters won't work anyway. Oops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back