can't join unlisted server on Chromebook

ultprison17

So I am playing the windows version of srb2 on Chromebook with linux and wine, and Chromebook has a built in port forwarding system when you install linux. When I found this out, I hosted an unlisted server on my Chromebook and tried to join that server on my laptop, and it worked. However when I tried to join a server that my friend was hosting (from his Chromebook) it did not work. The same thing happened when he tried to join a server I hosted. I made sure that the ip and port number was correct. It is on UCP as well. I don't know what is going on.

I don't know anything about how Linux and/or Wine works, but I would assume running SRB2 natively would probably fix this.

I hosted an unlisted server on my Chromebook and tried to join that server on my laptop, and it worked.
An assumption I am making here is that both devices are under the same network.
Devices under the same network do not follow port forwarding rules, and are treated as open devices for each other. No port forwarding is required for connection between them. It's only natural your laptop has no trouble joining the Chromebook's server.

Chromebook has a built in port forwarding system when you install linux
That *almost* sounds like you just did a firewall rule, not a port forwarding one.

Port forwarding is done on routers, not on individual devices. You need to access your router to be able to make forwarding rules.

An assumption I am making here is that both devices are under the same network.
Devices under the same network do not follow port forwarding rules, and are treated as open devices for each other. No port forwarding is required for connection between them. It's only natural your laptop has no trouble joining the Chromebook's server.

That *almost* sounds like you just did a firewall rule, not a port forwarding one.

Port forwarding is done on routers, not on individual devices. You need to access your router to be able to make forwarding rules.
Oh yeah also when I tried to join my friends server we were on the same network. Also uh what is a firewall rule?

what is a firewall rule?
1706571936279.png

Basically: A firewall rule is a control mechanism that firewalls use to decide what type of traffic is accepted or denied.

It's like a forwarding rule, which routers use to decide what traffic is accepted and then forwarded to a specific computer and port (eh? port forwarding) under its network, except firewalls and firewall rules are specific to a device and are used to block or allow stuff instead of sending it somewhere else.

Your router has a firewall too.

Oh yeah also when I tried to join my friends server we were on the same network.
Your friend was physically in the same house as you? With their own computer? If so, one should try connecting to the other via local IP rather than public IP. Some routers don't support connecting to itself via its public IP. (This is called NAT loopback on routers that support it.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back