Boss soc help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodshot

Not the guy from Youtube
I'm trying to make a boss that has multiple attacks.(6 are in right now) One of them involves Eggman stopping to charge power. Durring that time he is a sitting duck and very vulnerable to attacks. Then he would release an Armageddon Shield blast. Thats the attack I'm having trouble with. Right now, the attack uses the eggman box effect and plays the Armageddon Shield blast sound. How do I get Eggman to make the actual Armageddon Shield blast?

Unfortunately you can't, the blast can only be triggered by the player if he has an Armageddon shield himself. Though you could probably have him fire a missile item that has a really high radius and height.

Draykon said:
Though you could probably have him fire a missile item that has a really high radius and height.

What do you mean by that? Something too big for anyone to avoid, or just a large projectile? If I make him shoot something, I could add a large explosion, but A_RingExplode is too small, and if I make multiple A_RingExplode, the game sigsevs me.

Since this is already a topic, I think it would be pointless to make another one...but I have a question concerning a boss soc as well.

Is it possible to make Metal Sonic (as in...the wad) a boss? No moving like the Eggman boss. Like...character battle?

FinalEpsilon said:
Since this is already a topic, I think it would be pointless to make another one...but I have a question concerning a boss soc as well.

Is it possible to make Metal Sonic (as in...the wad) a boss? No moving like the Eggman boss. Like...character battle?

I think I remember it was done with Silver in the 360RE mod by Thompson. So yes.

Jellybones69 said:
FinalEpsilon said:

I think I remember it was done with Silver in the 360RE mod by Thompson. So yes.

Though, Metal Sonic boss was already done in a long lost mod.

Bloodshot said:
Draykon said:
Though you could probably have him fire a missile item that has a really high radius and height.

What do you mean by that? Something too big for anyone to avoid, or just a large projectile? If I make him shoot something, I could add a large explosion, but A_RingExplode is too small, and if I make multiple A_RingExplode, the game sigsevs me.
I mean a projectile to large to be avoided without running far (Unavoidable attacks are just not fun) that disappears almost immediately. This would behave roughly like the Armageddon Explosion, without technically being it.

FinalEpsilon said:

Sonicboss.soc is about like that, though it's a tad unpolished.
http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=5932(Original Topic)
http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=11152 (Actual working download link)
You're free to use it if you like.

Draykon said:
I mean a projectile to large to be avoided without running far (Unavoidable attacks are just not fun) that disappears almost immediately. This would behave roughly like the Armageddon Explosion, without technically being it.

Ok, I can understand that, but is it possible make a good visual for the blast? Like making the screen flash durring the blast, or making Eggman A_ringexplode hypersparks? Also, wouldn't the projectile disappear after hitting a player? It would only hit one player and others would be unharmed.

I'm not sure how you would replicate the graphical effect of the Armageddon blast, but you could cause the damage by using A_Linedefexecute to engulf the battlefield in an invisible, intangible, but damaging FOF for a moment(I don't know which linedefs you would use to do this, however), and you can use A_PlaySound to play the blast sound. You can make both happen at the same time by either having the first action take place on a state with a duration of zero, or by using A_DualAction. The former is a simpler method in this case.

Prime 2.0 said:
I'm not sure how you would replicate the graphical effect of the Armageddon blast, but you could cause the damage by using A_Linedefexecute to engulf the battlefield in an invisible, intangible, but damaging FOF for a moment(I don't know which linedefs you would use to do this, however)

That sounds like it could work great, but I have absolutly no clue how A_Linedefexecute works.(I'll check the wiki later, I've got other things to do at the moment) That still leaves me one problem: The visuals. I could make Eggman A_ringexplode hypersparks, but I personaly don't like how it looks, but it's the only idea i've got.

I really wish theSRB2ME topic didn't close. This would be cool to put in.

...Maybe Kalaron can chip in by putting this in CB? :D

In my opinion, you should use the TackleMobile as the basic model for your boss if you don't want to make an exemod. It is the simplest one and already makes use of this "only hurtable in certain moments"-mechanic.

It can be found here:
http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=10409

Different boss behaviours can be done by implementing this structure:
Code:
#FORK 1

FRAME 1751
SPRITENUMBER = 
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 1751
ACTION A_RandomState
VAR1 = 1752
VAR2 = 1753

#FORK 2

FRAME 1752
SPRITENUMBER = 191
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 1751
ACTION A_RandomState
VAR1 = 1754
VAR2 = 1755

FRAME 1753
SPRITENUMBER = 191
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 1751
ACTION A_RandomState
VAR1 = 1756
VAR2 = 1757

#ATTACK 1
Frame 1754

#ATTACK 2
Frame 1755

#ATTACK 3
Frame 1756

#ATTACK 4
Frame 1757
into your walking sequence. At the end of each attack sequence they all have to lead back to FRAME 1751 and there you go:
A boss with 4 different attacks which all have a chance of (1/4) per cycle to be executed.
6 different attacks is tricky... I personally would advise to do just 4 or 8 attacks.

Morph said:
6 different attacks is tricky... I personally would advise to do just 4 or 8 attacks.

I've already have that set up. His 4 main attacks include a flametrower, throwing grenades, the Armageddon blast, and spawning an enemy. The 5th starts after he gets hit. He quickly flies away and throws a few bomb rings at you. The 6th is his panic attack. This one I may want to change because he just rushes to you and turret fires bomb rings. I'm trying to think of something better, but no luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back