Ash's Generic SRB2 Questions

Ack. I seriously hope you're going to improve on the concept. I can see bland being a conscious design choice, but it was really hard to the point of the length being irritating. I hope you meant it when you said you were going to do your own rendition.

As far as themes go, I'm thinking about staying away from generic GFZ/THZ/CEZ stuff. Also, please don't use the GFZ sky. Although, if you want USED themes, then play levels already made. It really feels like it would be that simple.

I'd like to see punishment for falling off the edge to not always be deathpit. For instance, having the course loop around itself, so that the platforms you would be jumping on would be over an earlier part of the level. However, it would be really nice if the part of the level you fell on wasn't too far behind.

BlueZero4 said:
Ack. I seriously hope you're going to improve on the concept. I can see bland being a conscious design choice, but it was really hard to the point of the length being irritating. I hope you meant it when you said you were going to do your own rendition.

Of course. I just liked the concept of the themes and the various things that get in your way (and a little bit of the linearity, mind you~).

BlueZero4 said:
As far as themes go, I'm thinking about staying away from generic GFZ/THZ/CEZ stuff. Also, please don't use the GFZ sky. Although, if you want USED themes, then play levels already made. It really feels like it would be that simple.

Of course I'd stay away from the generics (and I wasn't planning on using GFZ sky, though I can't seem to add a sky properly anyway (that is, if it isn't just a 300 x 300 white square)). No, I don't want USED themes per se, just a few common, and a few uncommon. See, I follow Penopat's advice of making differentiability and uniqueness: Instead of just flinging around random platforming and reusing themes, try to create newer atmosphere never before experienced in SRB2. This can be accomplished with overused themes; you just have to be very intricate.

BlueZero4 said:
I'd like to see punishment for falling off the edge to not always be deathpit. For instance, having the course loop around itself, so that the platforms you would be jumping on would be over an earlier part of the level. However, it would be really nice if the part of the level you fell on wasn't too far behind.

Aww... that was actually one of the gimmicks I was going to use! (Not in exactly the way you explained it, but in essence, yeah, death pits when you fall are unneeded EVERYWHERE; maybe only in a few places.) Sadly, I am going to follow the path of SRT II and make it so that the checkpoints are still quite a distance away. The gimmick I'm thinking of balances this, though, and enables the person who has fell to redeem their self before going all the way back to the beginning of that area, IE, the previously touched checkpoint.

I see the two pillars are holding the ends of the rope, but what's holding the middle up?

That crossed my mind, too. I suppose every time I use that, I'll have to make something "hold" it up. :(
I think it's possible to make something in the middle hold it up without a disruption of the flow of the map.

That, or you could just make a similar image where there's nothing holding up the middle.

One of the beautiful things about SRB2 is that not everything needs an explanation. I mean, sure, you can give it one, but that doesn't mean it's mandatory.

In short, don't sweat it.

I also feel it looks weird compared to the other flag stuff in SRB2. You know, it has an effect of waving... I could animate it to wave (like an actual flag in the wind), but that would take too long to do, and I also don't know how well I would be able to do it.

Even if I can't make it look like a real flag, I think I might change the shading to SRB2's decorative flag style. What do you think?

Also, I just realized the only people posting in this topic are people with "Blue" in their name, and I have no idea why. :(

Patches start glitching up after their height goes past 128, but last I heard there weren't any glitches that happened for horizontal size. If I were you I'd use several 128 high strips.

We totally need a level suggestions section of the wiki.

For a CTF map, try putting a frozen-over lake in the center, with holes in the ice. You can put one of those upper/lower paths that the flag-carrier can take, like that one Lime Forest. For the bases, they can be some sort of fort-like thing, with an entrance in the front, where it expands into a larger room inside, with the flag in the center, like Quake 3 maps, with possibly some bonuses at the end of the halls.

Epic failures? Is that possible? :/

For the tunnels, you can put them as a path of ice, with tiny pools of water on the side, which you can fall into and get hurt.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back